Second Pair of Cans
Aug 26, 2011 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Hexidecimal

100+ Head-Fier
I've been using and loving my SRH440s this week, but am tired of carrying them back and forth to work already. I want to get a second pair, but I'm having a really difficult time committing to a second pair of the same phones. I don't know why I just think it's a bit redundant.

My first thought was to do a bit of an upgrade and get a pair of SRH840s for home to use with my CMOY and leave my 440s at work to use with my other CMOY, then leave my FiiO in my car to amp my phone when I run it through my aux jack. The more I read about the 840s though, the more it seems like it would be a marginal upgrade for the cost. (100 more then I paid for the 440s, and I don't think I'm willing to part with that kind of cash for a marginal upgrade.)

Now I'm contemplating a set of Ultrasone HFi-580s or Audio Technica ATH-M50s to use with the above mentioned CMOY amps, I'm just a bit concerned if I get a set of those, and end up liking them better, I'm going to end up carting those back and forth instead.

Is there a set I'm missing that I should consider? Has to be closed back, or I'd get a set of HD595s. Help me out Head-Fi,  you've done me no wrong so far.

Aug 26, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 14
Heya,

You'll not even touch your SRH440's, unless you just miss their smell, after you get something like the HFI 580. But I want to warn you, most things are marginal upgrades for the cost after a price point really. It's not like there's differences that are so huge that everyone can appreciate it. Some things sound almost as good as mid-tier gear, but using almost is really referring to a minute difference, but a difference enough for someone in this hobby to actually want to spend a lot of money on. So keep that in mind. I think the difference between the SRH440 and the SRH940 is massive. But someone else may just think it's marginal. I think the difference between the SRH440 and the HFI 580 is going to be a similar sound, but a more refined sound, and better bass, I think you'll love the HFI 580. But someone else may call that a marginal upgrade too. It's all relative.

Try a completely new headphone out. Something very different from the SRH440.

Very best,

Aug 26, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 14
I would certainly agree with getting something different.  Just for the variety.  I have a pair of 440's at work that I listen to at home, and an old pair of Sennheiser hd202's at home.  The 202's don't compare to the 440's, but are good enough that I don't travel the 440's to and from work.  I thik that as long as your new second pair aren't going to completely blow away the 440's. you will pick the best pair for where you do your most listening, and not worry about travelling them.

Aug 26, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #5 of 14
I'd like to stick right around 100 bucks. (130 is probably the maximum I could get away with right now.)

@MalVeauX

Is there a discernible difference between the HFi-580 & HFi-680?

Like I said, they need to be closed cans. Looking at what the costs from Amazon on my real choices seem to be the following based on price:

Shure SRH840s
Ultrasone HFi-580s
???

It doesn't HAVE to max out that cost either. If there's another nice set I could pick up in the 65 - 100 range that would be excellent. Maybe something like the Fostex T50RPs?

Aug 26, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
Is there a discernible difference between the HFi-580 & HFi-680?

Like I said, they need to be closed cans. Looking at what the costs from Amazon on my real choices seem to be the following based on price:

Shure SRH840s
Ultrasone HFi-580s
???

It doesn't HAVE to max out that cost either. If there's another nice set I could pick up in the 65 - 100 range that would be excellent. Maybe something like the Fostex T50RPs?

Heya,

HFI 580's are more bassy, and easy to drive. The 680's have higher impedance (75ohms), less bass, likely benefit an amp, so I wouldn't look at them unless you're willing to try them unamped or willing to buy a portable amp/desktop amp to go with them.

If you're willing to try the T50RP's, by all means, do it. I think you'll like the mids. They're a great sounding headphone for their cost. And an entry into the planar magnetic world. Check 'em out.

Very best,

Aug 26, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #7 of 14

Quote:

Why do they have to be closed cans?

I checked out your profile and under wants it said SR60. IMO that's the ticket. The T50 is an OK headphoe but the SR60 is more fun. Headroom has a B stock one for $60. If I were you I'd pop on over and scoop it up.

Aug 27, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #8 of 14
I guess they don't need to be closed cans. I have to have closed ones at work so I don't bother my co-workers, but I guess at home I could have an open set.

So assuming it's open to Closed or Open Air cans, suggestions? The SR60s are a possibility, I've counted out the HD595s because they're low on the bass end and I'd like something a little bassier this time because of how neutral the 440s are.

I've only ever heard Grados one time and I thought they sounded good but I'm not sure I'm ready to pull the trigger on those yet. I still prefer closed cans because I like that no one around me can hear the music, but I'm willing to take suggestions on the open cans as well.

Aug 27, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #9 of 14

Quote:

I've only ever heard Grados one time and I thought they sounded good but I'm not sure I'm ready to pull the trigger on those yet. I still prefer closed cans because I like that no one around me can hear the music, but I'm willing to take suggestions on the open cans as well.

I dont know what your looking for from a headphone Hex, or why a little sound leakage is a big deal if you're not at work. The SR60 just makes music fun. Open is my personal preference as opposed to a closed, canny, congested presentation. I have a T50 in my collection too. Technically it's a better headphone than the SR60. Sounds pretty good stock and can be modified easily to improve the sound. If you prefer closed maybe the T50 is for you. The SR60 though is a phone that makes music fun. I listen to a lot of bluesy stuff, Joe Bonamassa, Government Mule, the Allman Brothers Band, etc., amd the SR60 always gets my head bobbing and toes tapping.

I may be a little biased though,The SR60 was my first ever audiophile sort of headphone, and my first Grado. From my POV it's just a great headphone, especially if you're looking to stay under $100, and it's great unamped versus the T50. Which can also be purchased for under $100 too, but needs an amp. I have no problem recommending either one, they are both really good headphones, but the SR60 is funner and doesnt need an amp to sound awesome. Just my two cents.

Aug 27, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #10 of 14
I had pretty much decided this morning I was just going to bite the bullet and pick up the SRH840 because the more I listen to these the more I like them, But I am seriously considering the SR60s now. Thanks for the input, KneelJung.

Aug 27, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #11 of 14
maybe you should try some beyer DT 770s or 880s, they're pretty good and have a fun sound to them.

As far as upgrading goes, remember similar cans will usually sound very similar and the difference is only as much as you can make it. A night and day difference to someone might only be a few extra hours of sunlight to you...

Aug 28, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #12 of 14
I decided to go with the Ultrasone HFi-580s. They should be here Tuesday. My birthday is in a couple of months, so at that point I can always pick up the SRH840s and possibly a set of SR60i's. Thanks for the help in the decision everyone.

Aug 30, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #14 of 14
Darn you. You are right. I am absolutely in love with these HFi-580s. They sound so good, so fun and full of life. I still really like the way my 440s sound, but there is really no comparison.

Quote:
Heya,

You'll not even touch your SRH440's, unless you just miss their smell, after you get something like the HFI 580.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back