SeaWorld tragedy: Can whales murder?
Feb 26, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #46 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you please provide the proof and/or sources you used to make this assessment?

I thought it was the other way around....a human's lengthy digestive system would suggest it is better suited for vegetables instead of meat.

Feb 26, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #47 of 79
For those that thing we are so well adopted for eating meat... Go out and try to kill a sheep with your teeth... If that fails okay kill it by a rock or strangle hold. Will be quite easy if it´s locked in at least.

then you can start to try getting to the actual meat with your well adopted teeth... Okay take a razer to get rid of the wool.

Then try to get through the skin. Then try eating the meat raw without vomiting and see how long you stay healthy eating nothing but raw meat.

We are better adapted to eat meat then a cow but not that much. Still biased to vegetables.

Feb 26, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #48 of 79
i like how people make arguments based on our biological adaptation toward some behavior or other, because our knees and ankles are soooo perfectly suited for a biped.

Feb 26, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #49 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you please provide the proof and/or sources you used to make this assessment?

A) Comparative anatomy - See: Comparative Anatomy Texts. - Basic Rundown: Human GI tract is designed to be omnivorous. Compared to carnivores, we have sufficient GI tract length, structure and enzymes to effectively process some vegetation. Compared to herbivores, we do not have the GI tract length nor the dedicated fermentation sacs to digest anything but the most nutrient rich vegetation. The only vegetation we can effectively digest are high energy content items like grain, nuts, fruit, and tubers.

B) Historical diet - See: Mainstream thinking on on historical diet. One such abstract. - Basic Rundown: Due to the energy requirements placed on us by our massive brains, humans require a whole lot of energy that was mostly supplied by meat sources. It wasn't until the development of grain gathering and cereal agriculture that we were able to create an energy source that could fulfill our energy requirements.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i like how people make arguments based on our biological adaptation toward some behavior or other, because our knees and ankles are soooo perfectly suited for a biped.

Evolution ain't perfect and can only work with what came before.

Feb 26, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #50 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly. Humans think they are above everything, when in truth we are animals.

I've heard they torture these performing animals, from making them more domesticated to shocking them for sperm.

If the question really is can the whale be held responsible, my answer is of course not.

I have already seen this pictures before and it is really cruel.

Feb 26, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #51 of 79
Bottom line: Humans can and do live long healthy lives at both ends of that spectrum and everywhere in between (and some do not). Ultimately it is a choice that our "massive brains" have to process and deal with and justify. Certainly some people do very poorly on a vegetarian diet, while others don't do well with eating meat. I have close friends that are examples of both. One of those friends had a heart attack last year at 60 years old. He had been a carnivore his entire life, and was not in very good shape. He had massive blockage and had to put a stent put in one artery, while another was looking like it would need immediate attention as well. Bypass surgery was offered as an option, but the prognosis was very bleak and something else would have to be done within 4-6 months. After much consideration, consultations and research, my friend decided to go on an all-vegan diet (no animal fats at all). He dropped 30 lbs in four months and has never felt better. His docs were astounded at the change and, upon reassessing his arteries, they withdrew the recommendation for a second stent or bypass surgery. It's just one story, and I'm sure there are many with various spins on the approach to diet. Or the cynical view, as Joe Jackson sings, everything gives you cancer...so why bother? To each their own.

Feb 27, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #52 of 79
Quote:

Exactly. Humans think they are above everything, when in truth we are animals.

I've heard they torture these performing animals, from making them more domesticated to shocking them for sperm.

If the question really is can the whale be held responsible, my answer is of course not.

As long as we are taught that we are just animals, and spend our lives entertaining our animal nature over our higher natures, this will be true.

Feb 27, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #53 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As long as we are taught that we are just animals, and spend our lives entertaining our animal nature over our higher natures, this will be true.

I'm no so sure that would even work. If there were no religion and every man, women and child believed in the evolution of man would we be any kinder to the animal world? In all honesty I think it's technology that separates man from beast, if we had to capture, kill and dissect our food before consuming it; meat eaters would be few and far between.

What you dont know wont hurt you.

Feb 27, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #55 of 79
Quote:

if we had to capture, kill and dissect our food before consuming it; meat eaters would be few and far between.

I doubt that. I just think there'd be less fat people. (due to having to work for a meal). I'd have no problem going Bear Grylls if I had to. If anything, such a scenario would make me less likely to worry about killing the animal as long as its death was for a purpose, i.e. food. Furthermore, If everyone had to GROW their own food, I think there would actually be less vegetarians as agriculture takes knowledge and skill whereas hunting just takes patience. I'm sure there are anthropologist out there who could back me up on this. (maybe not on head-fi but in the world in general)

Feb 27, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #56 of 79
Quote:

I'm no so sure that would even work. If there were no religion and every man, women and child believed in the evolution of man would we be any kinder to the animal world? In all honesty I think it's technology that separates man from beast, if we had to capture, kill and dissect our food before consuming it; meat eaters would be few and far between.

I think you may have misunderstood my comment. Our lower animal nature desires pleasures such as meat and sex and wants to harm others in response to being threatened or harmed. Our higher nature desires (though it's not the same kind of desire) that our lower natures be tamed, as we train and tame animals to serve us (such as you might train and tame a dog) so that they may be of service to our ultimate spiritual goals. It is because we allow first children to run around and act like animals, then go about feeding our lower animal nature as a priority that we end up with humans who act no better than animals. An animal, on the other hand, only has an animal nature, so we cannot judge it as we would a person. A sensible thing would be, IMO, to observe our own behaviour and that of animals, and noting those behaviours that are similar, we might start to realise what I'm talking about. It's hard to write about this kind of thing though because a: it crosses subjects that are forbidden on Head-fi, and b: people just have no idea about this kind of thing at all, it's not something that's taught in school, because by its very nature it would reveal the huge flaws in modern indoctrination (so-called "education") and that one doesn't need schools to genuinely learn anything. I should probably stop here unless there are people who seriously want to explore it further.

[size=xx-small]Yes, my interests outside of Head-fi are VERY esoteric. [/size]

Feb 27, 2010 at 7:41 AM Post #59 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dolphins kill and gang-rape. Whales kill. instinct. If I were a whale at a theme park who knows how I would behave.

You'd probably do tricks and such. BTW dolphins gang-rape? You learn something new every day I guess.

Feb 27, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #60 of 79
Oh boy. No, a whale cannot commit murder in a common law state. They simply do not have the mental capacity to form intent. Though, interesting, animals used to be tried, convicted and executed way back when. But there's no way to prove the elements of murder for a whale in any state.

Animals do kill and sometimes for sport, as well. I see it all the time with the two little, fuzzy black and white predators I live with. Though they have a hell of a time trying to "catch" the laser pointer.
biggrin.gif
They also bring me "gifts" of prey every so often. Or maybe they're just warning me of what they're capable of.

And humans are designed to eat meat. The simplest proof is that we can digest it. There are many plants that we can't digest, but all meat goes through just fine. Not that I dislike vegetarianism. I'm vegetarian five or six days a week simply to keep the calorie count low. But I'll happily tuck into steak when I can. Or seafood, pork or poultry; they're all delicious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back