Seattle Sunday New Year Meet at the Frye Museum 01/05/14
Dec 24, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #76 of 217
I really hope I can make this. A lot of setups I'd like to hear and I know a lot of people who want to audition some of the stuff I have on deck.

Dec 24, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #77 of 217
Wow, that art museum sounds really neat! I can't believe I haven't heard about it earlier after living in Seattle all these years. T_T

Their next art exhibit actually sounds really interesting to me!
http://fryemuseum.org/exhibition/5098/

Anywho, back on topic, it looks like I'll be bringing along an Apple Camera Connection Kit and a 3-inch miniUSB to microUSB cable for Android OTG support as I received a free review unit of the JDS Labs C5D.

In case anyone is looking for a portable DAC/amp.

Dec 24, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #79 of 217
Hi guys, I'm just coming up for air after a record holiday season. The museum sounds great, we'll try to make it. We have the "pretty much final" iteration of the DAC, now known as Philos. This is one that you haven't heard, quite different than what we have demoed in the past. It has a new DAC chip, battery power, and no tubes! The best sounding yet. I can bring that with one of our servers and all of our amps.

Dec 24, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #80 of 217
I plan to come down from Bellingham... looking forward to seeing the Seattle crew again!

- AKG Q701; partially closed + internally foam-damped bass ports... now have more coherent center image and a little more bass impact
- Nuforce Icon HD amp

My notes on what I need to listen to:

Hifiman he500 - good value and get the job done well seems to be the consensus.  "A more resolved HD650".

Beyerdynamic T-1 - the balanced rockers.  Woo WA2 looks to be the most often suggested amp pairing on Head-Fi.

Grado ps500 / gs1000 - 'MERICUH!!!  :wink:    Listened to SR-325i and they were emotive and fun with bright but smooth midrange timbre.  The L pads were physically uncomfortable to my ears, sadly, or I'd probably already own the ps500.

AKG Q701 - want to hear it on the Aune T1 amp.  IMO, Q701 are 80% of the HD800 sound at 1/6 the price with a similar freq response and a big, detailed and airy soundstage... could be the value leader in all of Head-Fi 'dom when they [often] dip to $220 on Amazon.

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #81 of 217
  I plan to come down from Bellingham... looking forward to seeing the Seattle crew again!

- AKG Q701; partially closed + internally foam-damped bass ports... now have more coherent center image and a little more bass impact
- Nuforce Icon HD amp

My notes on what I need to listen to:

Hifiman he500 - good value and get the job done well seems to be the consensus.  "A more resolved HD650".

Beyerdynamic T-1 - the balanced rockers.  Woo WA2 looks to be the most often suggested amp pairing on Head-Fi.

Grado ps500 / gs1000 - 'MERICUH!!!  :wink:    Listened to SR-325i and they were emotive and fun with bright but smooth midrange timbre.  The L pads were physically uncomfortable to my ears, sadly, or I'd probably already own the ps500.

AKG Q701 - want to hear it on the Aune T1 amp.  IMO, Q701 are 80% of the HD800 sound at 1/6 the price with a similar freq response and a big, detailed and airy soundstage... could be the value leader in all of Head-Fi 'dom when they [often] dip to $220 on Amazon.

I have to K702 with opened bass port (removing the white stickers), I'll bring it if you're interested.

Dec 24, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #82 of 217

Interesting. I'd be interested in hearing that mod. I've heard about a reversible bass mod for the K 701, which I own, but I haven't been adventurous enough to try it.

Dec 24, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #83 of 217
As popular as the wide-open "stickers removed" mod for AKG x70x series has been lately, the sound was unnatural to me as the center image became even wider and less coherent.  It also boosted the lowest bass frequencies so flat that it was producing an annoying amount of SPL on my ear drums with many newer hi-fi recordings that capture those frequencies well.  You would hear the upper bass frequency and then mostly feel it a moment later as a kick drum decayed into the lower frequencies.  It sounded like a nice re-enforcement on some recordings, but delayed and loose on most.  In the end, I just wanted consistent presentation and packed soft foam back into the ports for only a very mild low frequency boost.

Perhaps you will get the chance to compare my foam-filled ports and partially closed outer grills to ChainRazer's K with the "stickers removed" version of the mod before deciding your approach.

Dec 24, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #84 of 217
I'm not sure what all to bring, or rather, what I can carry...  I've got a Bottlehead Crack/Speedball I just finished, Schiit Magni/Modi, ODAC, Beyerdynamic T1, HiFiMan HE-400, Sennheiser HD580...

Welcome, redshift.   Well all gear is welcome and even if there is more than one of a kind at the meet, I always think that is a good thing.

Also definitely bring equipment that you'd like to hear in combination with other items.  

Dec 24, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #86 of 217
Doc B has a stock and a modded HD800 that he brings. Knock on wood. Shortie's dad has a pair too. His alias escapes me at the moment. He's always there...someone will have a pair.

Dec 24, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #87 of 217
  I would love to have a listen to the T1s and see what a Beyer TOTL sounds like. Will there be an HD800 at the meet?

Yep! 
wink.gif

Dec 24, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #88 of 217
I'll have to audition those for sure. This is a newbie question, do I walk around with a USB stick of Flac to try on people's rigs? Or... do I have to rely on my own source? I ask because the only portable setup I have is cell phone to Fiio E18. It's got line-out but not really a DAC to do justice on the setups that will be there.

Dec 24, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #89 of 217
Really looking forward to my first listens to MrSpeakers products and Schiit gear! Looks like there's plenty of other interesting setups too...and a very cool venue, it's gonna be a great first meet for me to bring in the new year~

Dec 25, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #90 of 217
I'll have to audition those for sure. This is a newbie question, do I walk around with a USB stick of Flac to try on people's rigs? Or... do I have to rely on my own source? I ask because the only portable setup I have is cell phone to Fiio E18. It's got line-out but not really a DAC to do justice on the setups that will be there.
yes a usb stick or your source is fine.

Shorties dad is palmfish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back