Seattle Spring Meet 3/22/08
Apr 9, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #106 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of these, what would you pick:

Yamaha DVD-S1700
Oppo DV-981HD
Harman Kardon DVD48

the oppo and harmanKardon look pretty thin, probably don't have a transformer inside. Switching power supplies are supposed to be bad for audio......

Apr 9, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #107 of 113
What ever Kevin says!!! X2

Apr 10, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #108 of 113
Oppo DV-983HD or the DV-980 -- the 981 does not have the same audio circuitry the famous 980/983 have. The 983 is basically a 980 with upgraded video circuitry and full hdmi 1080p support. Oppo is supposed to be releasing a Blu-Ray player sometime woohoo, can't wait. The nice thing about those oppo players is their ability to spit out your cd/sacd dvd-a streams in pcm over hdmi, so your high quality receiver gets the highest quality signal from your oppo player, making those hi res sacd/dvda discs truly shine. Linear PCM makes all the difference in the world if your an audio afficiando like myself, I have a PS3 for blu ray, movies with linear pcm tracks sound far better than your normal compressed audio formats.

I'm kind of excited for my pc setup, the makers of my auzentech soundcard are releasing an HDMI 1.3 card for pc's, planning on picking up another panasonic sa-xr57 receiver, we have one in the living room, for my pc speaker setup, hopefully that card will implement full pcm support over hdmi, native pcm would be a killer combo for my pc speakers which consists right now of Klipsch Forte II's as fronts and JBL HLS 610's as rears, both extremely detailed horn loaded speakers.

Apr 10, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #109 of 113
Sergio you came out of the (speaker) closet. Good boy.... Feel Liberated???????
evil_smiley.gif
The Klipsch's scream. Don't they????
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 10, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #110 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the oppo and harmanKardon look pretty thin, probably don't have a transformer inside. Switching power supplies are supposed to be bad for audio......

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll find too many players that don't use a switching power supply. Also, switching power supplies aren't inherently bad for audio if they're implemented properly. There are many pieces of mid and high-end gear that use them with great results
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #111 of 113
Just pick up a Headroom Desktop Balanced Amp/ Dac from FS and now my wallet really hurts.

I have a stock HD650 cable that I am thinking to reterminated it to balanced XLR. Can anyone recommend a store that does it or someone who can DIY for me? Of course I will pay for the trouble. Please let me know.

Thanks.

Apr 10, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #112 of 113
I do recommend apuresound.com. Alex is very firnedly and his cables are awesome.

of if you're looking for DIY person, probably Kevin (AudioCats)can help you out. He makes such a bunch of good DIY cables.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back