SEATTLE MEET @ FRONT PANEL EXPRESS 1/21/2012
Nov 16, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #91 of 569

Quote:

Snipped

Definitely looking forward to meeting you as well buddy, I know it's a ways off, but I'll be the guy with a jewfro and tiedye.

lol, the two tiedyes can look for each other then because I dont think Ive seen Wharfrat in anything else. I wanna try the TP again myself, didnt really dig them much the first time but perhaps that will change.

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #92 of 569
Nov 16, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #93 of 569

What kind of knives?
Quote:

If I repeat my knife buying experience with audio.... I'll be selling myself on the street within a month. I spent something like $1200 in two months on knives alone.   

Nov 16, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #94 of 569
Been lurking on Head-Fi for a couple months now, and this GTG prompted me to finally create an account.  Sounds like a great time.  I hope to make it (pending wife concurrence).  Just down the street from my work as well.  Don't have much to offer of the headphone variety, as I'm just delving into the headphone world.  Any interest in me bringing a Peachtree Nova, Grado 225i, or Grado GR8?  Pretty run of the mill stuff, but I'm happy to bring it if there's interest.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #95 of 569

Quote:

Things must be a little different than when I went to college.

That was senior year of high school, it's amazing how much more money you have when you don't buy your food or pay to live in a house, haha.

Quote:
What kind of knives?

Pocket knives, and some fixed blades, the fixed blades were the worst, all from the same awesome company though, ESEE. Let's see, it was the ESEE 4 with some custom grips~$180, two Lite Machetes~$150, Junglas~$200, and Izula II~$100, oh and an arrow head, that thing was sick~$20,

and all that was in about two weeks.

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #96 of 569

Quote:
lol, the two tiedyes can look for each other then because I dont think Ive seen Wharfrat in anything else. I wanna try the TP again myself, didnt really dig them much the first time but perhaps that will change.

Hahahaha, sick buddy, I have some killer tiedye, I'll have to bring my A game, and as a pseudo-hippy I'm guessing you won't be joining us? 

What exactly did you not like about the TP's? I'm still not sure if it would be more efficacious to just get some used LCD-2's.... so many options

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #97 of 569

Quote:
Hahahaha, sick buddy, I have some killer tiedye, I'll have to bring my A game, and as a pseudo-hippy I'm guessing you won't be joining us? 

What exactly did you not like about the TP's? I'm still not sure if it would be more efficacious to just get some used LCD-2's.... so many options

I think I may be the only person on earth to not favor the TP. I found them to sound kind of hollow. I spent very little time with them and could be remembering things incorrect so dont listen to me. Thats why I want another crack at them.

Nope, Im a fake hippy due to being to young at 36 to have been a real hippy. But I dig the whole hippy thing. So that leaves me as a pseudohippy.

Nov 17, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #98 of 569

Quote:
I think I may be the only person on earth to not favor the TP. I found them to sound kind of hollow. I spent very little time with them and could be remembering things incorrect so dont listen to me. Thats why I want another crack at them.

Nope, Im a fake hippy due to being to young at 36 to have been a real hippy. But I dig the whole hippy thing. So that leaves me as a pseudohippy.

Well I guess we'll both have to just wait and see, and do you know anything about how much the different species of wood affect sound?

I like to look at the whole "hippy" thing as similar to punk. Anyone who's still punk would tell you it's dead, there is no punk anymore. 

Nov 17, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #99 of 569

Quote:
Been lurking on Head-Fi for a couple months now, and this GTG prompted me to finally create an account.  Sounds like a great time.  I hope to make it (pending wife concurrence).  Just down the street from my work as well.  Don't have much to offer of the headphone variety, as I'm just delving into the headphone world.  Any interest in me bringing a Peachtree Nova, Grado 225i, or Grado GR8?  Pretty run of the mill stuff, but I'm happy to bring it if there's interest.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Your first post was to us?  What an absolute honor, we daresay!

Bring what you got, along with your wife, if necessary, just so she sees we ain't the corrupting kind!
very_evil_smiley.gif

FunkMFlex: I think you are going to be a fine addition to this band of heathens...now to get back on thread...I suggest you scroll through the TP forums and get an idea as to amps that will drive those cups to audio nirvana...I do sorta recall they have been able to come up with portables that will drive LCD-2s, but I cannot vouch for the TPs...My 45 watt Harman Kardon 730 will NOT give a pair of HE-5s, an ortho much like the TPs, a whit of a note for my hard-earned pleasure so I would say the TPs probably will need something slightly larger and heavier than a portable.  Others in the crowd of heathens here probably would know more than I since I do not port about wearing such expensive gear....esp LCDs...but then you got umpteen knives to keep nefarious folks at bay...

But since there is interest to recheck the TPs, especially since Jude posted a rave about Smeggy's contribution to our adventures, I will bring mine.  I sorta forgot the wood type.. cocobolo, I think.  I do like it with some of the Dick's Picks releases and acoustic guitar, but find it a bit too much in the treble on some piano and female vocal tracks.  So it could depend on what genre you like.....but I do agree that for a closed-can, it is right up there with some of the best open designs.

Nov 17, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #100 of 569

Quote:

snip

I think you are going to be a fine addition to this band of heathens...now to get back on thread...I suggest you scroll through the TP forums and get an idea as to amps that will drive those cups to audio nirvana...I do sorta recall they have been able to come up with portables that will drive LCD-2s, but I cannot vouch for the TPs...My 45 watt Harman Kardon 730 will NOT give a pair of HE-5s, an ortho much like the TPs, a whit of a note for my hard-earned pleasure so I would say the TPs probably will need something slightly larger and heavier than a portable.  Others in the crowd of heathens here probably would know more than I since I do not port about wearing such expensive gear....esp LCDs...but then you got umpteen knives to keep nefarious folks at bay...

But since there is interest to recheck the TPs, especially since Jude posted a rave about Smeggy's contribution to our adventures, I will bring mine.  I sorta forgot the wood type.. cocobolo, I think.  I do like it with some of the Dick's Picks releases and acoustic guitar, but find it a bit too much in the treble on some piano and female vocal tracks.  So it could depend on what genre you like.....but I do agree that for a closed-can, it is right up there with some of the best open designs.

Hahaha thanks man, I'll definitely check it out that forum, it's a shame they're not really suited for portability, I'm all for having a headphone collection, but that gets expensive pretty fast.

and I don't worry to much about people trying to jack me, there's the knives of course, add to that most people are ignorant to the fact that your headphones might ever cost most than $100, unless they're Beats, then you're a target. 

Nov 17, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #101 of 569
I definitely disagree with the claim that they are not suited for portability. I fly with mine regularly. Mine were made with a satin finish for that purpose.
Anyone who finds themselves at the Head-Fi meet in Seattle in January is welcome to check out my portable rig and see if you agree or disagree :)

Quote:
Hahaha thanks man, I'll definitely check it out that forum, it's a shame they're not really suited for portability, I'm all for having a headphone collection, but that gets expensive pretty fast.

and I don't worry to much about people trying to jack me, there's the knives of course, add to that most people are ignorant to the fact that your headphones might ever cost most than $100, unless they're Beats, then you're a target. 

Nov 18, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #103 of 569
Hey guys!

Just found this forum and the meet sounds fun. Hopefully I don't get pulled in to teach that day and can make it if you'd all accept a gumby to the scene :)
I don't have a collection to bring as I generally stick to one pair of cans at any given time due to too many other expensive hobbies to fund, but I can bring my PS1ks if anyone would like. I'd like to see how they sound on some other amps too.

Hope to see you all in January

Nov 18, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #104 of 569

Quote:
Hey guys!

Just found this forum and the meet sounds fun. Hopefully I don't get pulled in to teach that day and can make it if you'd all accept a gumby to the scene :)
I don't have a collection to bring as I generally stick to one pair of cans at any given time due to too many other expensive hobbies to fund, but I can bring my PS1ks if anyone would like. I'd like to see how they sound on some other amps too.

Hope to see you all in January

Cant wait. I hope you can make it with your PS1k's. Never heard them and Im a big Grado fan. I bet they would sound nice on my Woo
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back