Seattle Meet 10/2/10 impressions
Oct 4, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #31 of 72

Quote:
I had a lot of fun at this meet. A lot of talking and not a lot of listening. I only accomplished a couple of things as far as listening. The lcd2 seem to be more song dependent more than rig dependent. If the vocal was recorded upfront (in your face) on the cd rather than set back a little bit, the lcd2 come across really aggressive and harsh.  Norah Jones Come flyaway with me was brutal. The highs are a bit rolled off. I noticed this on a couple of songs that have a high hat or cymbal that is very soft in the background that was almost not hearable. After listening to the thunderpants and the lcd2, it seems that both seem to move vocals more toward the front of the soundstage which is great in some music, but not enjoyable in others for me.

For me, I've noticed that certain DACs paired with the Stacker II can make a difference in how aggressive the presentation is with different recordings.  The Assemblage->Stacker is more forgiving, while not sacrificing too much of the the detail and separation, but I definitely noticed differences in the recording/mixing between albums when I was borrowing Gil's DAC.  I think given how precise your rig is, the recording and/or mixing may make a bigger difference than on my gear, which is built more around tonal quality.  The highs can be a bit rolled off, depending on taste.  I can totally agree with that after my time with the headphones.  I might go so far as to say the LCD-2's are pretty transparent and can (but maybe not always) reveal differences in the chain, from recording to source to the rest of the gear.

Oh...didn't mention it before, but I liked the PS1000 out of the Music Hall 25.2 DAC.  I put them on and thought I wasn't listening to Grados...there was some real nice bass that wasn't too sloppy and things weren't THAT forward.  Of course, then I switched to the LCD-2 on that DAC and I felt the presentation on the latter headphone became more laid-back.  Heh.

Oct 4, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #32 of 72
Thanks to everyone that made this meet happened.  It was the best one yet.

My main focus of this meet was to listen to the PS1000.  I was able to try them out on my own system, the DHA3000, and the Red Wine Audio setup.  First thing is this pair seemed to have rattle issue on the left driver when a lot of bass was playing.  Also, Seamaster thought the sound was off-balanced but not sure I heard this myself.  So with these issues, I can't be sure this is what a perfect pair would sound like but what I did hear, I wasn't that impressed.  These seemed to have the sibilance problem that the GS1000 suffer from.  It's not as severe but was still there. I thought it could have been just a problem with my system, so I tested them on the Red Wine one and still heard the same thing.  They also had similar soundstage of the GS1000.  Nice separation but a little too distant for my taste.  The tone was also similar of the GS1000, but nicer mids. It still seemed to lean toward a bright highend and powerful bass, while the mids where just a little thin in comparison.  Just going off memory, the original PS1 seemed so much better. 

The highlighs of the meet for me were KingStyles new setup with my L3000.  Just amazing.  Agressive where it needed to be without being harsh and just so dynamic.  I also enjoyed the vinyl gig with my headphones.  Had really nice mids.  The big surprise for me was the iPad setup with the RS Predator and HD650 headphones.  The HD650 didn't seem to have the veil that I remembered them having.  Was going to try them on other systems but didn't have time.  The K1000 sounded great again but was having a little trouble with the right side shorting out.  But still sounded much better than the other headphones connected to the reel-to-reel.  I was also surprised that I liked the HD800 that was in the same room.  Believe it was hooked up to the amp that was given away as a raffle item.  With electronic music that was playing, had great bass and plenty of soundstage.  Not sure how'd they'd sound with rock, which is what I usually test them with and find faults.  And lastly I gave the LCD-2 a few listens on different setups and with different cables attached.  They are not as dynamic as I'd like but they are a really fun and enjoyable headphone.  I listened to a Kinks album with the T1 and then the LCD-2.  The LCD-2 was just musical, while the T1 was clinical and technical.

Look forward to future meets.

Oct 4, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #34 of 72
That's a hellofa phono stage!

Oct 4, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #35 of 72
Just fired that puppy up in the reference system this afternoon. Sounds goooood.

Oct 4, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #36 of 72
I am still digesting the great vibes of the day.  Thanks to all at FPE for having us and to all of the attendees who graciously took the time to discuss audio issues with me.  MOTs were indeed the nicest people one could meet. I was truly appreciative of Ken's (ALO Audio) sensitivity to my equipment needs and his offer to custom fabricate an Amphora amp with some extra gain built into the design.  (Ken: expect a PM sometime in the near future).

To each of you who allowed me to test your amps and cans, thanks!

As for impressions of Meet #2: I was able to appreciate some of the cans a bit better with the help of the interpreter who came....talking to you and listening to the Thundies, Ultrasones, Audezes (apologies again, guys...I had no clue they really were that loud coming out of the open back.  Hope ya'll unnerstan'), Teslas, and some.....against my ATH-2000s....then coming home and reading my notes and the comments by other canheads on the Headfi forums about all the cans' characteristics helped me put a finger on what I was hearing...so now I freaking know what "balanced" likely means, fer chrissakes!   I still appreciate sensitive cans that bring out the mids....but I have more to pick up and digest.  Such is a "hobby"....

I am sure the same thing will happen with my next target of interest: the amps...I was able to really appreciate the mind-melting setup of Kingstyles. 
The Amphora is one serious piece of wood....(and tones)....I liked the Liquid Gold very much, wobbly knob and all...Equus and Smeggy's Stackers were wonderful with my ATHs...they had gonads to spare as the bass output was thunderous.

Practice, practice...different setups are a lesson that one acquires a preference (or gets bored with) over time....I will certainly be attending more meets and once again, thanks to all.  Thank you, Gil, again, for your prompting me to attend.

Oct 5, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #37 of 72
Thanks to Gil, Heather and FPE for the great meet.  It was great to see old faces, new faces.

http://picasaweb.google.com/joshatdot/20101002SeattleHeadFiMeet#

Funny, its been quite a while since I took a listen to all my Budget-Fi portable cans.  Out of what I had, the HA FX-66s sounded great overall, and the atrio M5s gave me the BASS I wanted.  I also noticed when I got to the meet, that my DT770s pads were so freakin dirty!  Next laundry they're getting cleaned!

Oct 5, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #38 of 72
It was a fun meet but unfortunately I didn't get to have too much listening time on people's gear.  I did however get a chance to listen to the audio GD gear that I've been wanting to hear for a long time and that was awesome.  Also I really like that protector with the balanced HD650's.  It's so surprising how well the protector powers it.  

Thanks to everyone that helped with the meet.  Out of past few meets I have to say that FPE was so far the best place it was hosted it at.  Everyone had their own rooms so you could actually get some quality listening time in.   It seemed like a very good turnout too with a ton of familiar faces.  Hope to see everyone again next time.

Also next time I'll be sure to not bring a female friend so I can get more quality time with the headphones instead of the opposite sex.  Lol and gil you're a funny man with that line you said when I was walking with her.  That might've spoiled a night for a lesser man but it didn't phase me any bro =)

Oct 5, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #39 of 72
Ced- Don't make me go Charlie Murphy on you
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 5, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #40 of 72

Quote:
I am still digesting the great vibes of the day.  Thanks to all at FPE for having us and to all of the attendees who graciously took the time to discuss audio issues with me.  MOTs were indeed the nicest people one could meet. I was truly appreciative of Ken's (ALO Audio) sensitivity to my equipment needs and his offer to custom fabricate an Amphora amp with some extra gain built into the design.  (Ken: expect a PM sometime in the near future).

To each of you who allowed me to test your amps and cans, thanks!

As for impressions of Meet #2: I was able to appreciate some of the cans a bit better with the help of the interpreter who came....talking to you and listening to the Thundies, Ultrasones, Audezes (apologies again, guys...I had no clue they really were that loud coming out of the open back.  Hope ya'll unnerstan'), Teslas, and some.....against my ATH-2000s....then coming home and reading my notes and the comments by other canheads on the Headfi forums about all the cans' characteristics helped me put a finger on what I was hearing...so now I freaking know what "balanced" likely means, fer chrissakes!   I still appreciate sensitive cans that bring out the mids....but I have more to pick up and digest.  Such is a "hobby"....

I am sure the same thing will happen with my next target of interest: the amps...I was able to really appreciate the mind-melting setup of Kingstyles. 
The Amphora is one serious piece of wood....(and tones)....I liked the Liquid Gold very much, wobbly knob and all...Equus and Smeggy's Stackers were wonderful with my ATHs...they had gonads to spare as the bass output was thunderous.

Practice, practice...different setups are a lesson that one acquires a preference (or gets bored with) over time....I will certainly be attending more meets and once again, thanks to all.  Thank you, Gil, again, for your prompting me to attend.

Haha...yeah...the LCD-2's seem to put out about as much noise outwards as in toward your ear.  No worries though.  It just meant if you were listening to something, I almost always knew where you were in the room. 
wink_face.gif

It was good chatting with you too.  Getting your perspective on how you perceive a balanced sound at high volume levels was really interesting.  It made total sense, but wasn't something that I had thought about.  Most of my listening is done at relatively low volumes since there's not much outside noise where I set up my rig.  Flipside is that I usually don't have to worry about disturbing anyone since I don't have roommates.

Oct 5, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #41 of 72
Thank you to everyone that came out on Saturday. It was a pleasure to meet and talk to many of you. We enjoyed having you all here, and were happy that so many people showed up, making the event a success.

I have posted a few of the pics I took on Saturday on our Facebook page, so feel free to have a look.

Thanks again!

Heather
Front Panel Express

Oct 6, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #42 of 72
Haha...yeah...the LCD-2's seem to put out about as much noise outwards as in toward your ear.  No worries though.  It just meant if you were listening to something, I almost always knew where you were in the room. 
wink_face.gif

E-  Looks like I need to ask Big Poppa for a room of my own?
L3000.gif

Oct 6, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #43 of 72

Quote:
E-  Looks like I need to ask Big Poppa for a room of my own?
L3000.gif

Heh...maybe.  I don't think most people minded too much though.  The main room with most rigs was a little close quarters, but there wasn't quite as many people in there as usual because of the other MoT rooms.

Oct 6, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #44 of 72
Great meet.  I really need to come a day ahead the next time this happens since there's a few more things I end up trying to do up there than I have the time for every time I get to Seattle.  The Liquid Gold was real nice to listen to.

Oct 8, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #45 of 72
There were definitely more people at the meet than those who have provided impressions so far. More folks should write impressions even if not necessarily of the gear! In any case, gear pics below. I still have pics left of the Front Panel Express tour, which will come later in a new thread.

smeggy's Thunderpants
sea10m_07.jpg

Woo Audio WA22 on Meridian G08
sea10m_08.jpg

custom-built tube CD player & Bottlehead balanced amp
sea10m_09.jpg

Bottlehead amps, 1
sea10m_10.jpg

Bottlehead amps, 2
sea10m_11.jpg

Bottlehead amps, 3
sea10m_12.jpg