Seattle 12/12/09 Mini-Meet Impressions
Dec 14, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #16 of 61
Gil, there was also the Ultrasone Edition 8's there. They were one of the highlights for me but I think I liked the Denon DA7000 Woodied and recabled by Lawton Audio over it. A little more open sounding. Along with the L3000, these headphones all seemed more geared for rock music. More upfront sound and a nice punch. If I did more critical listening, I'm sure I'd hear bigger differences between all these headphones.

The HD800 didn't do it for me again. I think the soundstage is just too far away and the bass is missing the slam. However the did sound really nice on Seamaster's system at the end listening to the Japanese music. I just don't think I like them too much with rock music. And when I say I don't like the HD800, that's just in comparison to my L3000, DA7000 and Edition 8. I hear a big improvement over the HD650, even the balanced ones. Still waiting to hear the PS1000. Not sure what headphone I buy today if I didn't have my L3000 but it wouldn't be the HD800.

Dec 14, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #17 of 61
Special thanks:
Thanks to BIG POPPA putting this meet together. Thanks KingStyles kindly brought in over $10,000 worse of gears for us to try. Thanks Markj's edition 8 and phonitor. Thanks Iamoneagain showed us ATH system. Thanks Curbfeeler's sharing of knowlage. Thanks RevPower for the cable.

Dec 14, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #18 of 61
Markj took the picture, but he is too busy (maybe too lazy) to post
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #19 of 61
Damn, I always take these meets for granted but thanks Gil for putting this together. And thanks to everyone else for bringing their stuff and letting everyone play around with it. Always fun and usually end up learning a new tweak to improve my own system.

Dec 14, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #20 of 61
OK, when comes to review gears I am not nice anymore.

Start with BIG POPPA's Woo 3+, be honest it surprise me off guarded how good that little thing sound. That paticular Woo3+ has black gate upgrade, which is the major help in the amp's performance IMO. That made me rethink why Jack doesn't offer upgrade caps for WA22? I sure would happily pay a few handred dollars to take WA22 to next level. Since BIG POPPA only have had that amp for 2 weeks as black gates need 500 hours to fully brake in. I will not do finnal comment on the amp. For now, it sound good but congested. Also the amp need over a hour to warm-up to sound best, as WA22 will sound almost best within 30min

Dec 14, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #21 of 61
2nd thing I notice:
Use computers as source have no match for Mid~High end stand alone CDP. iamoneagain copied the same CD on to his Imac hard drive VS. my Meridian. Sorry iamoneagain. SQ with computer lost in pretty large margin.

Dec 14, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #22 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2nd thing I notice:
Use computers as source have no match for Mid~High end stand alone CDP. iamoneagain copied the same CD on to his Imac hard drive VS. my Meridian. Sorry iamoneagain. SQ with computer lost in pretty large margin.

Yeah, but remember, that was still with the lamp cord. At the very end without the converter, I was hearing something closer. We'll have to test again.

Dec 14, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #23 of 61
Almost all the high end headphones in the meet sound better than HD650 at some point, but no headphone is without weakness either.

Denon DA7000 Woodied and recabled by Lawton Audio
The fit and finish is beautiful, what an eye candy! feels good in hand, but not on the head. The ear pad push against your ear, that make me feel is "not apart of my head" at every second. It sound nice but the tonal range from both end has between U and W shape to it. Nowhere near liner. Both high and bass overcome the midrange and vocal.

Dec 14, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #24 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamoneagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, but remember, that was still with the lamp cord. At the very end without the converter, I was hearing something closer. We'll have to test again.

the last time I heard the same song was after the converter was removed, remember?

Dec 14, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #25 of 61
Quote:

the last time I heard the same song was after the converter was removed, remember?

That's true but was only for a few moments. I still think we need a longer listen. I'm not saying it's better than the CD player without the converter, but maybe not as wide of a difference. Anyway, it was kind of a wakeup call hearing that. I'd have to see how your very lush system handles rock though. It was great with the music we did listen through it.

Dec 14, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #26 of 61
Edition 8's stock

Look at the stock cord, it is very skinny and short. Plug in WA22, next second there was big smile on my face. The tonal balanced and singnature is very right. Pulg Edition 8 in any amp at meet, the basic stays the same. There might be changes in detail between amps but it is no way for me to find out when everybody was talking. Edition 8 is not amp dependent. It is tonally better than HD800 IMO, but don't have the sense of space, soundstage, and air like HD800 or even HD650 balaned. Since it is closed design, it block the noise well. Edition 8 is very fun, I can see why they have many fans.

Dec 14, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #27 of 61
Audio Technica L3000

Very comfortable on the head even with its large size and weight. There is something funny when pair with WA22, L3000 sound very thick and warm, with BIG midrange covers everything. Still sound good throught. I enjoyed, but I am not buying it with WA22. Use Audio Technica DHA 3000, the issure is not there anymore, balanced across the range with nothing stick out on you face. Same time L3000 sound drier compare to tube gear.

Me and iamoneagain have to get together one more time to face off Computer VS CDP, and ROCK MUSIC with DHA3000 VS WA22. There will be fire and fun!

Dec 14, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #28 of 61
HD880 SE Recabled by Lawton Audio: The main reason I was there at meet.

Pair with Meridan and WA22 use single end headphone output. HD800 shows unmatched detail, soundstage, 3D imaging. The amount of sense of space took me awhile to get use to it. Everything was effortless and easy flowing. BUT, one thing that turned many people off: lost the density and impact of music, which make you start looking for those quality, and disengage with misic while doing so. Same thing happened with Isabelina and other amps. HD800 tonally bright, but very balanced.

Markj hooked up phonitor to my Meridian, HD880 SE Recabled by Lawton Audio:

Holy crap, very impressive. What lack of density, what lack of bass? All gone! Those two is a beautifull marriage. If you are SS guy, that was it. I would not mind to own this set-up if I am not a tube guy and have already owned WA22. If I am being super picky, phonitor lost 3D image of tube amp, less soundstage, lost "tube magic" of tone compare to WA22. This combo make my rethink my WA22: should I recap the amp to fight back?

Strange enough, the tonally image of Meridian + phonitor+ HD880 SE Recabled by Lawton Audio very similar to Meridian + WA22 + HD650 balanced. HD800 just little better in every way, more refined

Dec 14, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #29 of 61
Quote:

Audio Technica L3000

Very comfortable on the head even with its large size and weight. There is something funny when pair with WA22, L3000 sound very thick and warm, with BIG midrange covers everything. Still sound good throught. I enjoyed, but I am not buying it with WA22. Use Audio Technica DHA 3000, the issure is not there anymore, balanced across the range with nothing stick out on you face. Same time L3000 sound drier compare to tube gear.

Me and iamoneagain have to get together one more time to face off Computer VS CDP, and ROCK MUSIC with DHA3000 VS WA22. There will be fire and fun!

Sounds good. Yeah I spent most of my time going back and forth with KingStyles system. I guess since it was also a computer setup, I wanted here how different they could be. I think it just depended on the music and headphones. I felt my L3000 did better on my setup but didn't like the DA7000 as much on the DHA3000. Worked much better in KingStyles system.

Just going back and forth with the same music and the L3000, his system had a thicker, more rounded sound. The DHA3000, was clearer and the guitars were harsher. I'll have to do more listening since all this was still with my crappy converter in the mix.

But I didn't get to spend that much time listening to WA22 with all it's different tubes. I think I heard it with what you called the solid state sound. Thought the L3000 sounded great with Gil's Woo 3+. Then tried them with Markj little amp (not sure what it was) and they sounded terrible. Only the Edition 8 sounded good with it. But then those headphone sounded great out of everything.

Dec 14, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #30 of 61
Redwine audio Isabelina Amp and DAC

It is very balanced and liner amp. The amp does not leave any gap for you to criticize anything. You can tell from 1st min it is a SS amp, but warm enough to keep my tuby mouth shut. It is no doubt a better amp than Audio Technica DHA 3000. The weakest link in KingStyles's system is the computer source IMO. Did not get a chance to hook up Isabelina with Meridian due to everyone was hungry by the end. Still I am very impressed with Isabelina.

The finnal note:
Isabelina has same problem as my WA22 with HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back