Seattle 12/12/09 Mini-Meet Impressions
Dec 13, 2009 at 3:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

iamoneagain

Headphoneus Supremus
We had a mini-meet at the Broadview Library today. There wasn't a lot a items but what we did have was all pretty high-end. It also looks liked we had more because we only had one table to fit it on.

I'll have to post more later when I can sort out what I listened to and how it sounded. I got to do a little bit more back and forth between rigs and headphones using the same song to test things out.

Dec 13, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #2 of 61
We had a semi secret meet. Will be posting more in a bit. Some good listening was going on. Markj took pictures.

Dec 13, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #4 of 61
Some more info would be great!
Who/how many attended? What kind of gear? Pictures?

Dec 13, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 61
Where are the PICTURES?
wink.gif
Sure hope you all had a great time.

Dec 13, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #6 of 61
At the next meet I'd like to propose that we use all the same power cords, the Quantum QB8 distribution bar and the Quantum QX4 field effect device on a few of the assembled systems. I have recently been comparing these so-called power looms in a couple of loudspeaker systems. I’ll bring the QB8, QX4, 5 CryoMax III AC cords and the Benchmark DAC, along with some DIY interconnects.
There was a lot to like at the meet. The Avett Bros. I and Love and You and the Mapleshade sampler sounded great on the Senn HD800, Woo WA3+ and WA22. The Phonitor plus HD800 was impressive as always. Kingstyles battery powered rig made the Handel organ concerto sing for me on the HD800. Seamaster may be onto something with the VH Audio Power cords.

Dec 13, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #7 of 61
Cans:
HD880's Recabled by Lawton Audio
Denon DA7000 Woodied and recabled by Lawton Audio
Edition 8's
Dt770's Headphiled-Gorgeous Cans
Balanced HD650's
Recabled Single ended 650's
Ultrasone 900's?
Audio Technica L3000

Amps:
Woo Audio 22
Woo Audio 3+
Audio Technica DHA 3000
Phonitor
Isabelina Amp and DAC

Sources
Arcam 73t
Meridian G08
Imac
Hp laptop

Other gear:
empirical audio offramp
BPT power supply

Accessories
Some of the best tubes you will get to roll. Seamaster can list them.
VH power cables
DIY power cables
Oyaide Tunami GPX

Some of the Good music Demo'd
Mapleshades Music Festival- One great disc to audition with.
The Avett Brothers- I and love and you. With the HD800's and the Woo's, this album was incredible.
Akon- Freedom- It is recorded decent and is great with tube gear and Senns.

Anyone can add to this list I know I have forgot a few things.

Dec 13, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #8 of 61
Zu varial XLR
VH Audio F4 cables
VH Audio Hotbox
What cable that came with HD800 and Denon D-5000?
and an important found:
iamoneagain's $20 step down converter for his Audio Technica DHA 3000 (I will post on this one later for those of you use Japanese 100v stuff on US 110v)

Dec 13, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #9 of 61
Told you I would forget something. The Denon DA 7000 wooded and recabled by Lawton Audio.

Dec 13, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #10 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Told you I would forget something. The Denon DA 7000 wooded and recabled by Lawton Audio.

Right that was Denon DA 7000 Lawton Audio wooded

Dec 13, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #11 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zu varial XLR
iamoneagain's $20 step down converter for his Audio Technica DHA 3000 (I will post on this one later for those of you use Japanese 100v stuff on US 110v)

Please let me know if it's safe to use without this converter. I believe I am getting a much better sound without it and have removed it from my chain. Others on this forum have said the had no problem plugging directly into US socket. If I do still need a converter, let me know of some high-end ones so I don't have to sacrifice sound.

Big Papa, I think technically my DHA3000 is both amp and a source since it has a DAC in it. The iMac would just be considered a transporter.

Dec 13, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #12 of 61
Here how we found out:

I was given a Oyaide Tunami GPX inplace of VH Audio F4 cable to test out. When I crawl down the table try to find a socket for it. What the hell? There is a lamp cord on my Hot Box. Am I in a high end gear meet? I trace the lamp cord to a $20 step down converter, then a big fat PC, then Audio Technica DHA 3000. So the whole time iamoneagain's $5000 setup is getting power form that converter (size of hamberger) with lamp cord. I report the founding and my thought to iamoneagain. Then we jump the chain, and plug the amp into the hotbox without it. Sure enough, there is another SQ improvment that you don't have to even to finish one song to comfirm.

Dec 13, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #13 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here how we found out:

I was given a Oyaide Tunami GPX inplace of VH Audio F4 cable to test out. When I crawl down the table try to find a socket for it. What the hell? There is a lamp cord on my Hot Box. Am I in a high end gear meet? I trace the lamp cord to a $20 step down converter, then a big fat PC, then Audio Technica DHA 3000. So the whole time iamoneagain's $5000 setup is getting power form that converter (size of hamberger) with lamp cord. I report the founding and my thought to iamoneagain. Then we jump the chain, and plug the amp into the hotbox without it. Sure enough, there is another SQ improvment that you don't have to even to finish one song to comfirm.

Yeah, you had a horrified look on your face. I thought I had pretty good sound until I heard it next to your Meridian CD player using the Phonitor amp. That had a much fuller and lusher sound. The Japanese song you were playing sounded a little harsh on my setup. With the converter gone, it seemed much closer to the sound we were getting out of your system. Listening to the same song today, I can confirm the results, harshness is gone. So unless I find my amp can blow up, no more converter.

Dec 14, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #14 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamoneagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, you had a horrified look on your face. I thought I had pretty good sound until I heard it next to your Meridian CD player using the Phonitor amp. That had a much fuller and lusher sound. The Japanese song you were playing sounded a little harsh on my setup. With the converter gone, it seemed much closer to the sound we were getting out of your system. Listening to the same song today, I can confirm the results, harshness is gone. So unless I find my amp can blow up, no more converter.

I have been using the DHA3000 w/o any converter for the last two years without any problem (knocks on wood).

Dec 14, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #15 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been using the DHA3000 w/o any converter for the last two years without any problem (knocks on wood).

Thanks. Yeah, I thought in my previous research I read that you didn't use one. And the person I bought the DHA3000 said they didn't use one either.

So this turned out to be a free upgrade to my sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back