"Seashell" effect with the DT770 Pro 80s?
Mar 3, 2009 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

HiFi1972

100+ Head-Fier
Just got some used DT 770 Pro's (80Ohm) from Beyerdynamic USA (on eBay). It looks like they recabled and put new ear pads on these, but as soon as I put them on my head, without anything playing, I immediately noticed a "seashell" effect, air has a "phasey" sound coming into the headphones.

I've adjusted the headband in various ways, it seems the best position for me is if the headband is a little bit over my head (I'm bald) so that it doesn't touch my scalp; I feel this evens out the drivers a little more parallel to my ears, but I can still hear a little bit of air that comes into the drivers and makes well, a "seashell" sound.

Also, these things are already used, I suppose they're refurbished cans that Beyerdynamic is selling on eBay (I've emailed them to ask what has been done to these in the past but haven't heard anything). The crazy thing is, I'm mixing a track right now with a lot of sub-bass and snappy mids, and I typically get my mixes sounding right on my Mackie 824s and Avantones and then check out the mix on my cans (Senn HD280s) which give me a pretty good idea of the mids and how the reverb sounds. Well, I'm not sure these DT 770s are performing better than my Senn HD280s, the mids on the DT 770s sound a little dipped! I would suspect they need burn-in time, but...they're already used (from the looks of it, they've been used PLENTY).

Do you guys think I got a bad set? There seems to be nothing wrong with the drivers, no funny things like distortion or an improper balance between L & R channels.

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #2 of 15
On topic of that "seashell effect," I had that with the K701 cushions. They let in air behind my jawbone on my...right side I think. It left like a constant thin stream of air kept blowing into my ear, and it bugged the bonkers out of me.

So now I have no more bonkers.
frown.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 15
I thought the DT770 Pro was far better than my HD280. The mids are bit recessed, so I EQ'd them so bring them up, but after that they sounded way clearer and more refined than the 280. But you may not want to do that if you're mixing with them. Come to think of it, the DT770s, although good for music IMHO, would be a terrible choice for mixing due to their heavy bass and recessed mids.

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #5 of 15
On the low end side of things, I can totally see where listeners of music would prefer the DT 770 over the HD280, the bass is much more extended, and bass transients are definitely more revealed; the DT 770s don't have an "exaggerated" response, as far as I can tell so far, they're very rich in that department (kinda close to my HD650s). On the mids, however, I do prefer the 280s as they are more similar to what I hear on my Avantones, which is a more true representation on what's happening in the midrange.

I've seen the 770s referred quite a bit in pro audio sites as good cans to check mixes on, so I wanted to definitely check them out, but it does seem that they make better listening cans than pro audio cans, but then again I wonder what a pad and cable replacement may do; something for the future I suppose.

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #8 of 15
I know but you keep saying "where listeners of music would prefer the DT 770 over the HD280" or "I've seen the 770s referred quite a bit in pro audio sites"

anyway, I'm doing Tiemen's job
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #9 of 15
I tried mine on just now and I get no "seashell effect", no wind or whistle coming in from anywhere. It's probably the pads.
The mids on 770 are dipped, no amount of burn in will fix that, sorry to say.

It really sucks they gave you pleather pads, that's one of the 770's best features, the soft and comfortable pads. Why do you think they're recabled?

Either way this is bogus, BeyerStore should have made all those changes clear on the item description, now you'd have to spend more money to get the real pads?

What's their store's policy? can you return them if disatisfied?

Mar 3, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #10 of 15
Sorry, if I say "770", I am referring to the DT 770 Pro 80 Ohms version (770 is shorter for me to type, c'mon now, can I get a breezake?)

I believe they're recabled because the cable and plug/adapter look brand spanking new, whereas the shells on these puppies look like they've been ran over by a bus (the white paint on the sides is nearly worn off, who the heck does that to headphones, my gawd!)

Unfortunately, there's no warranty or returns allowed on these, and so far, I'm less than impressed by their (Beyerdynamic USA) level of customer service; not that it's got anything to do with the headphones themselves but 10 days after the auction, I emailed them to ask if the cans had been shipped and I got this as a reply: "These are going out today." No "Sorry for the delay..." and I emailed them after I got the cans to find out if these were refurbished, recabled, new drivers, anything and have not heard anything back as of right now.

In addition, this leakage into the cans I believe, is affecting the sound; I could hear outside sounds and messing with the 1-3k area, most definitely. I'll look around for the OG pads, I might catch a break and get them for less than what they go for retail.

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #11 of 15
We use the 770 pros (although I'm not sure if their 80 or 250 ohm) in the linguistics lab, and I've noticed the same thing (slightly) before.

Not the same pads, though: these are the silver, velvet ones. A bit stiff, and fairly uncomfortable.

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #13 of 15
I doubt they're fake, I believe they're the real deal (Beyerdynamic USA) selling their used/refurbished/closeouts on eBay:

beyerdynamic DT 770 Dynamic Studio Headphone 80 OHM - eBay (item 110358708097 end time Mar-09-09 11:47:09 PDT)

That's another auction for the same cans I bought, same description and image (check out their store too, they're selling mics as well). The pads are new, probably cheaper than the velour ones, which makes sense considering they're selling these for $99 each.

Apologies if this sort of thing is not allowed, but I suppose to make consumers aware...

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFi1972 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt they're fake, I believe they're the real deal (Beyerdynamic USA) selling their used/refurbished/closeouts on eBay:

beyerdynamic DT 770 Dynamic Studio Headphone 80 OHM - eBay (item 110358708097 end time Mar-09-09 11:47:09 PDT)

That's another auction for the same cans I bought, same description and image (check out their store too, they're selling mics as well). The pads are new, probably cheaper than the velour ones, which makes sense considering they're selling these for $99 each.

Apologies if this sort of thing is not allowed, but I suppose to make consumers aware...

Same place I bought mine. I thought I might have head some "seashell" in mine, no wait NM I was listening to Jimmy Buffet...jk. Mine came with the velour pads and I've not noticed this phenomena...interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back