Searching for high isolation and flat frequency response
Apr 2, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is a research that involve data collection on lengthy lab experiment with people who sign up for it.

I believe all research involves data collection, yes. I don't know how "lengthy" the experiment is, nor do you. Yes, I'm aware that research subjects volunteer.

Quote:

The researcher should have plenty of time and are smart enough not to torture the subject or offer them no assistance at all.

"Should have" isn't "will have." I have been involved in similar experiments myself and one generally has back-to-back appointments with the subjects. I am pointing out that needless complication, such as I forsee with the ER-4S more than with any other IEM or headphone we might consider, would be unwelcome.

As for the researcher being "smart enough" to assist the subject with the ER-4S, the real question is the researchers' experience with the IEM, not their intelligence, and it is clear from the very question being asked that the OP isn't experienced with the ER-4S, and may be unaware of how alarming the average person--as opposed to the average person who reads the portables forum on Head-Fi--would find the intrusive fit of this option. One even comes across the preference often enough, here, for a "shallow fit." Even when wearing the shallow-fitting TF10 in public, I more than once received aghast reactions at how deeply people thought it inserted.

In a project involving 20 or more subjects, I think you would have a fair chance of losing at least one subject who would balk at being asked to reenact a certain scene from Wrath of Khan.

Quote:

As for fit or hygiene, there are disposable foam tips (or alcohol wipe on silicone eartips). You still have to wipe the big can anyway.

Wiping off earpads isn't comparably time-consuming to what we're discussing re. the ER-4S. I wonder if your determination to defend this option simply shows a Head-Fier's dedication to defending a much-loved IEM of Head-Fi. It is the OP's needs which should be considered.

Quote:

Even with big can, the wearing position of the headphone can influence the result as well, especially if you include the effect on different shape of each person's ears. It could very well that the researcher can't ever get an universally flat response on the eardrum for each person. There is no perfect solution on both side, the research just have to choose the one with minimum side effect or something that has been proven before.

I agree that there is no perfect solution, but nothing you've said changes the fact that circumaural headphones would seem to be preferable, over the most invasive of all canalphones, for the purpose of a researcher. The exception would be if the level of isolation offered by the ER-4S really can't be matched by any affordable closed headphone, and I haven't looked at headphone specs in so long that I can't say.

Apr 2, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #17 of 29
You are fixated on ER4S - it is just one of the OP option. I am trying to suggest IEM based solution as opposite to a big can solution. If the lab go for the ER1 or ER2, which are IEM based design for research and has been established as research tool on other experiments, the data collection process will be much less ambiguous, no? It is factor for consideration no doubt, but able to use experiment tested / calibrated instruments is IMO a big plus for any experiment.

Apr 2, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UM2, UM3x, Klipsch image X5, CK10, HF5, GR8, SE530 and CK100

@zarim,
deadhorse.gif
are you sure about se530,id hardly say it has a flat response, and from what ive read about the others , dont think they qualify either with the exception of the ety prehaps , but ive not heard them so who knows, maybe.....

Apr 2, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are fixated on ER4S - it is just one of the OP option.

The ER-4S was one of two options in which the OP specifically expressed interest, you may have noticed, and your initial reply to me was not clearly, at the time, a defense of the use of an IEM vs a headphone for this experiment; it instead read as a counter to my concerns, in the context of an experiment involving (presumably non-audiophile) volunteers, about the invasive ER-4S design specifically.

There would seem to be a language barrier at work here. I suggest you be a bit more patient, with people who are trying to understand your English, before accusing them of fixation.

Apr 2, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucozade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@zarim,
deadhorse.gif
are you sure about se530,id hardly say it has a flat response, and from what ive read about the others , dont think they qualify either with the exception of the ety prehaps , but ive not heard them so who knows, maybe.....

I've not heard the SE530 myself, but judging from this graph, its frequency response is remarkably flat for a good long while, actually. Overall, I would say it's a bit flatter than the suggested ER-4S, but I am admittedly a novice at reading these graphs, and may be missing something.

graphCompare.php

Apr 2, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alec E /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There would seem to be a language barrier at work here. I suggest you be a bit more patient, with people who are trying to understand your English, before accusing them of fixation.

I think you need to realize that not everyone is trying to argue with you.
Also, ClieOS' english is perfectly fine, better than a lot of native anglophones.
It's all in how you percieve the person is talking to you.

Apr 2, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajkda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool interested withthe pro etys is there anyone who used them?? How deep do they go

Have you looked at the pictures? They're a bit impractical for normal use. Also, they're tuned specially for research, ie. for speech in the case of ER1 and perfectly linear response in the case of the ER2. Either one would sound pretty bad to the human ear with music.

Apr 2, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alec E /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've not heard the SE530 myself, but judging from this graph, its frequency response is remarkably flat for a good long while, actually. Overall, I would say it's a bit flatter than the suggested ER-4S, but I am admittedly a novice at reading these graphs, and may be missing something.

graphCompare.php

LOL, I guess it was only a matter of time before it happened again Luco!
tongue_smile.gif

I don't really see how the 530 is flatter unless you are looking at only half the graph. Take a ruler and connect the start of one graph to its end and see which is more level. I'm not gonna get into approximating points in compiling a mean graph so I offer the simple if flawed visual instead.

Not sure how a headphone that is missing an entire frequency range is better for the OP's purpose than one with a few peaks and valleys.

Apr 4, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #27 of 29
I sent the following email to Etymotic... currently waiting for their response...

Quote:

Dear Etymotic customer service,

My name is XXX, and I'm currently working with XXX in the Phonetics & Phonology laboratory at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. We are in the process of procuring equipment for a secondary lab for speech physiology experiments.

One of the experiments we're currently working on involves adjusting frequency peaks and bandwidths of subjects' speech in real-time, and monitoring any adjustments they may make to their speech in response to the frequency changes. In order to properly do this research, we're looking for a headphone or earphone set which will provide a high level of isolation as well as a (perceived) flat frequency response.

I've read an article from a previous study which is similar to ours, and the researchers used the ER-2 for their work. However, the more I research the appropriate earphones/headphones to purchase, the more I'm thinking that these aren't actually the correct earphones to use for such purposes. The ER-2 frequency response is completely flat, due to the understanding that the signal to be played was originally recorded via microphones set inside a KEMAR manikin, and will therefore include the transfer function of the ear in the recording. Is this correct? If this is the case, then we would want an ER-1 for our purposes, since what the subjects will be listening to is their own voice through a head-mount microphone. Is this also correct?

Any help that you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
XXX

Apr 4, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anaxilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really see how the 530 is flatter unless you are looking at only half the graph. Take a ruler and connect the start of one graph to its end and see which is more level.

The response may be flat, but it is well above 0 dB in its range from 10 Hz - 500 Hz. The ER-4S, however, has a response which hovers at 0 dB.

Apr 4, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #29 of 29
i saw that too. The SE530 is definitely not flatter unless you have very selective eyesight mainly at the area around 800-1000hz where the SE530 is pretty flat around 0db

Users who are viewing this thread

Back