Searching 4 bass... Advice?
Jul 4, 2012 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DefDwg

New Head-Fier
Hi All

I'm looking to buy a gift for my 13yr old nephew who plays the bass guitar and was hoping to grab a pair of cans for him that won't empty my wallet.  Hopefully something under $100.

Was thinking about the Koss Pro-4AA's but since i'm new to this "audio-world", and my own personal preference is less bass, I figure I'd ask the people in the know:)

I would certainly prefer to get him something he could use as monitors when he plays his bass but also something good for general use.  I think for a 13yr old, the aesthetics would come in as a very close second, if not first.

Oh, and please no snarky remarks about Beats... I don't plan on giving my nephew a pair and there's enough anti-beats remarks on this forum as is.

Thanks!!!!

Jul 4, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #2 of 7
I play the bass, and I love the Koss Pro-4AA. I think they work well. I loved them as an all around headphone for music. I think they're great sub $100 closed headphones. They had a real smooth sound, not a lot of detail, but what do you want for this price. I loved the look and feel. But I could see where some might not. Lol.

What I also loved, for this purpose (pretty much the only purpose), was the HD280. I loved using them as monitors when I played the bass along with recordings. They really seemed to work out great for that. They blocked noise, and allowed me to hear what I was playing well enough. But for general music listening, I didn't like them that much

Jul 4, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #3 of 7
I've had the m50's in the past and I'll always recommend them if you can grab them for about $100, they were a little overhyped but still good nonetheless

I've seen these can in a lot of studios and they are great outside the studio too!

Jul 4, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #4 of 7
really can't go wrong with the m50s. In addition to the fun sound signature, they're portable. I don't know if the denon D1100 will go on sale, but they place a lot of emphasis on bass. He'll definitely appreciate the style, lightness, and comfort - if not the sound alone. good luck.

Jul 4, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
I play the bass, and I love the Koss Pro-4AA...

What I also loved, for this purpose (pretty much the only purpose), was the HD280. I loved using them as monitors when I played the bass along with recordings...

Awesome!  It's good to hear that a bassist actually owns & loves the Pro-4aa.  I use to own the HD280's and they were definitely a consideration... i'll have to give them a second thought.

Quote:
I've had the m50's in the past and I'll always recommend them if you can grab them for about $100, they were a little overhyped but still good nonetheless...

I'm actually headed to an AT retailer tomorrow so i'll definitely check them out!  Though i don't want to spoil the little person:)

Thanks for the great input all!!!!

Jul 4, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #6 of 7
I just wanted to say that you're a freaking awesome uncle. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back