SE846 Filter mod
Dec 19, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #241 of 251
Eons ago I removed the foam from my blue filter. I'd like to put my blue filter back to stock. Does anyone happen to know what the stock foam configuration is (e.g., both foams stacked at end facing ear canal, denser foam closest to ear canal, etc.)? If possible, a picture would be super helpful. Thanks in advance!

As far as I remember there are two foam pieces in serial.arrangement inside the blue filter with them being positioned on the distal site facing the ear canal.
Answered in the main SE846 thread. 😇

Feb 12, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #243 of 251
I ordered about 5 sets of blue filters from shure to go crazy with modding.

I found out that the baseline sound for every set of blue filters differs. Some are bassy, some are trebly, some are mid scoopy. All of this is independent of foam position. Moving the foam results in more or less treble.

The takaway from this is, if you don’t like your iems. You might want to get some spare filters. They are not all the same, there are differences between the blue ones. This probably has something to do with the filter cloth. The neater the cloth looked, the more trebly or scooped the filter sounded. The filters with a little extra cloth sticking out seem to be more bassy.

Then, add to that that I’ve listened to 4 pairs of 846. There are noticeable differences between sets as well.

Feb 12, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #244 of 251
I ordered about 5 sets of blue filters from shure to go crazy with modding.

I found out that the baseline sound for every set of blue filters differs. Some are bassy, some are trebly, some are mid scoopy. All of this is independent of foam position. Moving the foam results in more or less treble.

The takaway from this is, if you don’t like your iems. You might want to get some spare filters. They are not all the same, there are differences between the blue ones. This probably has something to do with the filter cloth. The neater the cloth looked, the more trebly or scooped the filter sounded. The filters with a little extra cloth sticking out seem to be more bassy.

Then, add to that that I’ve listened to 4 pairs of 846. There are noticeable differences between sets as well.
To add to this... if you notice a slight channel imbalance, it might just be your filters!

Feb 12, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #245 of 251
To add to this... if you notice a slight channel imbalance, it might just be your filters!
True, I had one set with imbalance. Thought it was the filters. And that’s how I ended up doing this comparison. After lots of testing and comparing, and even a hearing test. It was definitely in the iem itself which is now in for repairs at shure. I hope it will be replaced.

Mar 12, 2022 at 11:07 PM Post #246 of 251
I've been watching this thread for a while. It definitely captured my curiosity. I bought the sure se846 around a year ago. I've been enjoying them very much with the white filters. The blue was just too warm for my liking. The white are good besides the occasional harsh highs. I was skeptical that a dirt cheap Knowles filter and some heat shrink would outperform all of sure R%D they put into there filters. I have to say that you all are right on the money. I agree with the general consensus here. These do improve the whole resolution and detail. The brown are really good but for me the green are the best. What a pleasant surprise to my curiosity. Now these se846 sound absolutely incredible. I listen to everything from 70,80,90 rock to modern hip hop. I use my onkyo or fiio m11 plus DAP. I just wanted to thank everyone for there help and opinions. Very much appreciated

May 19, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #249 of 251
I might have a couple to spare. Haven’t been around this thread much but nice to see the continuing mods. I’ll look later if you want to send your address.
I’ll let you know! 👍🏽 But I was recommended that something called the Trishd mod produces equal results and is easier to do. I have been out of the forum in a long time doing other things and had no idea people were doing mods until a couple of days ago.

May 24, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #250 of 251
This has been an awesome thread. Thank you.
After trying all different filters, positions, with or without the Knowles SS ring, I’ve found what I think is the best mod: a green Knowles screen only, at the iem end of the white filter tube.
I removed the stock one (which I believe is the Knowles brown screen) and replaced with green.
In my case I pushed it out of the SS ring directly into the filter tube, but you can purchase the 1.78mm screens only too.

I’d describe the sound as close to the std white filter but with no sibilance or fatigue, and I swear it’s more extended, but I’ve no measurement devices to test that. It sounds great!

Nov 3, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #251 of 251
This thread has been very inspirational and it has been an education to read the posts of so many knowledgeable people. I knew those filters were in the box, but I have never been moved to ask why.

Until now!

I have spent the last two days playing with those filters. I don't yet have the confidence to take out and slice foams, but I have settled on the out of the box white for now. The increased space and staging did initially come with more shrillness and sibilance than I cared for, but one of the benefits of the TW2 (permanently attached to the 846 as my travel/commuting rig) is the EQ that comes with the app. The EQ has calmed those negatives, and how!! Short term cheat while I pluck up the knowledge and courage to do the surgery on the foams and filters.

I liked the 846s before, I absolutely love them now!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back