SE535 to JH16...thoughts and inputs needed
May 28, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #106 of 121
Quote:
It's a common refrain on head fi that more drivers do not make a better CIEM.  With some qualifications I don't believe that's true.  There's a reason the top rated IEMs and CIEMs have 4 or more drivers.  At the same time once manufacturers hit 5 or 6 BA drivers there appears to be a law of diminishing returns.

All things being equal (tuning, crossovers etc...) 4+ drivers appear to generally (note that qualifier) yield better results.

+1 - I just have to think that when you are working with 4+ drivers, the art of tuning becomes much more complicated - like my favorite "Three Stooges" episodes - when Curly pushes one drawer flush, another pops out and hits him in the face. There are a lot of "moving parts" so to speak - so the work becomes more difficult - the challenges increasing exponentially. That's why there is usually a driving force of one individual behind these monsters - someone who loves to tinker with sound.

May 28, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #107 of 121
It's not drivers but ranges. 3 ways seem to be better able to sound more linear with refined highs and extended bass. A jh13 may have 6 drivers but it's a only a 3 way. A 6 driver 3 way is no more electrically complicated than a 3 or 4 driver one. The jh16 is a 3 way with added sub bass drivers so 3.5 way if you will. They are also the most group delay and phase correct multi ways available today. Doesn't mean either is for a given individual but they are good examples of driver count not complicating things beyond usefulness or understanding. Using mechanically opposed and coupled dual drivers per range also eliminates any vibration, keeps drivers in their more linear amplitude ranges and lowers distortion.

May 28, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #108 of 121
Quote:
It's a common refrain on head fi that more drivers do not make a better CIEM.  With some qualifications I don't believe that's true.  There's a reason the top rated IEMs and CIEMs have 4 or more drivers.  At the same time once manufacturers hit 5 or 6 BA drivers there appears to be a law of diminishing returns.

All things being equal (tuning, crossovers etc...) 4+ drivers appear to generally (note that qualifier) yield better results.

What about UERM? Fit ear iems?

Jun 25, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #109 of 121
If anyone is still making a choice on Shure 535s (or other IEMs) versus CIEMs, here's my 2 cents worth...

I had Ultimate Ears TF10s for a long time before going the CIEM route. I chose the ACS T1 simply because I struggled to find anything bad written about them, they are made in the UK (though ACS have since opened a lab in the US), and they are relatively inexpensive versus JHs (the T1s are only like 900 bucks).

If you want big bass response, look elsewhere than the T1s. However, if you want impressive mids, and a neutral sound, which has a lot of naturalness, the T1s may be worth considering. This is a real quick comparison between the JH16 and the T1 (and there is more good stuff on the JHs in that thread):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/479434/jh-audio-jh16-pro-first-impressions/3480#post_9402409

In terms of percentage, per the poster's original question, that's a tough one, as what do you rate as the 100% to measure against. Hmmm... I guess my best answer would be an imaginary headphone nirvana (based on my serious headphone usage to date - only approx. 2 years) as my 100%. I'd say on that scale the TF10s would be around 60% (pretty good for the money!), and the T1s maybe would get as high as 75% (definitely worse value for money, but a valuable upgrade if money isn't such an issue). In case it helps, I'd put my Grados PS1000 on the scale at 92.5% (but only for those songs where they sound awesome, the majority of the time they'd be at 87.5% or so), but they are like $2300. (Disclaimer: the numbers are totally my opinion, as opposed to being properly objective, scientific, etc.)

Happy decision making
tongue.gif

(Your easiest out is to buy the JH, the T1, and full sized cans of your choice ... just got to win the lottery to pay for 'em all.
evil_smiley.gif
)

Jun 25, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #110 of 121
Quote:
Innerfidelity has a nice multi reviewer take on customs. Do a search. All liked the jh13 and noted that it has somewhat enhances bass. They generally found the jh16 overdone but if you like ie800s, you won't. When I compared the 1+2 to the current fp jh13, the kmds were more recessed on the 1+2 tough I enjoyed it very much.

That's a great article. Appreciate it! Here's the link in case it helps others: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/totl-madness-24-top-line-custom-ear-monitors-reviewed

Jun 26, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #113 of 121
jh16 is kinda bass light.  It's underwhelming if you are expecting something, but it gives good body.  It truly shines though when you eq the bass:  BOOM BOOM BOOM but all the while keeping the detail and clarity, and doesn't even get dark!   It's everything I ever wanted.  In a good recording, you can keep bass boost on, and you won't even know bass boost eq is +9db if the track doesn't call for it.

Jun 26, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #114 of 121
Quote:
jh16 is kinda bass light.  It's underwhelming if you are expecting something, but it gives good body.  It truly shines though when you eq the bass:  BOOM BOOM BOOM but all the while keeping the detail and clarity, and doesn't even get dark!   It's everything I ever wanted.  In a good recording, you can keep bass boost on, and you won't even know bass boost eq is +9db if the track doesn't call for it.

Wow. JH16 is bass light? Holy ****. How much bass do you need? I found the JH13 to be bassy and JH16 to be overly bassy. Bass heads...
blink.gif

Jun 26, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #115 of 121
Jh16 doesn't have much midbass so it's got a lot of deep bass without being warm..wow bass light lol IE8 for example has much more midbass for example..

Jun 26, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #116 of 121
I just got my JH16 today. So far so good. There is a tiny part of me that thinks I should have gone with the JH13. I am a basshead, but this is a bit much for me on certain tracks. I would not call them bass light in the least bit. I wonder if I ask them, they might tone down the bass a bit and send it back.

Jun 26, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #117 of 121
Quote:
I just got my JH16 today. So far so good. There is a tiny part of me that thinks I should have gone with the JH13. I am a basshead, but this is a bit much for me on certain tracks. I would not call them bass light in the least bit. I wonder if I ask them, they might tone down the bass a bit and send it back.

I know that some companies tune differently according to customer's taste, so ask JH.

Jun 26, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #118 of 121
If you have a rockbox and that midbass is kinda bothering you, or it sounds really warm, just tone down the 250 hz to -3db, and that warm overtone will disappear.  My initial problem was that it was really really warm (and still bass light), and that fixed the really really warm part. 

Jun 26, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #119 of 121
If you have a rockbox and that midbass is kinda bothering you, or it sounds really warm, just tone down the 250 hz to -3db, and that warm overtone will disappear.  My initial problem was that it was really really warm (and still bass light), and that fixed the really really warm part. 

Thanks a bunch. I use iPhone and iPod, any app recommendation there? I am thinking I am going to get a few apps and try them out and see what I can do.

Jun 26, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #120 of 121
Gilki

http://www.head-fi.org/t/624660/iphone-ipod-equalizer-app-for-best-music-listening-experience

That link has a lot of information, should help you get a better perspective. But you should look at Equ, Equalizer and Accudio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back