Dynamic:
One can cover the entire frequency
Rather big, but they are capable of having upto 3 drivers in a iem as of now
Warm detailed sound with good bass rumble and impact
Harder to drive than BA.
Usually needs an vent, so less isolation

Hybrid:
BA+Dynamic Driver.
Usually has one dynamic driver for bass region and multiple BAs for mid/highs.
Well regarded for spectacular bass while keeping other frequency clear.
Things can go wrong as BA and dynamic sound different and some people can notice the crossovers changing
Generally have a vent, and bit heavier than BA customs.

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #20 of 121
seems like the hybrids are the way to go. I love noise isolation but if the SE535 are doing a good job and the customs do an amazing job from what I hear then I don't see if being much of a trouble. I rarely can hear people with the 535 so it seems like on that note I would be good to go. 

I don't think I'll be able to hear the cross over in them due to the fact that I have damaged my ears through out my life. Car audio and having fire works going off by my ears are a great contribution to it. 

So will a dedicated dynamic have a better bass than a hybrid due to it being a dedicated dynamic? I am leaning toward hybrids now but just asking for future knowledge. 

Again there has to be a place were one could try these headphones. Maybe a the next meet up in TX. 

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #22 of 121
I've got 13s and16s and I have owned multiple shure iems as well as demoed the merlins and most of the UE and westone range and nothing is as good as the JH 13s or 16s. The UE ref series is very good but lacks the bass you seek. 

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #24 of 121
Quote:
I've got 13s and16s and I have owned multiple shure iems as well as demoed the merlins and most of the UE and westone range and nothing is as good as the JH 13s or 16s. The UE ref series is very good but lacks the bass you seek. 

Wow that is a lot of money. It seems like a lot of JH16 owners own the JH13 which I guess says something about JH audio. What type of musics do you listen to, if you don't mind me asking?  Edit: NVM I read your reviews and you have your music type listed :)
Quote:
Mate,
I have only entered my current inventory and there is stuff still not updated. Every opinion is backed by ownership and not just demo's.

I think he was talking about about me :wink:

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #25 of 121
I love my JH16, I am biased.  There is good bass quantity, impact, head space, and texture in the bass, that does not bleed into the other spectrums.  This is the strength of the JH16 bass imho.  The bass is tight and detailed and the bass is in the low to sub bass.  Something like an IE80 definately has a lot more midbass if that's your thing, I don't personally care for a lot of midbass so the JH16 is right up my alley.  The mids are very neutral, neither forward nor recessed, but coming from the 535, I'm not sure if you'll like it much since the 535s are very mid forward. I always found the treble on the 535 a little weird sounding, JH16 has good extension detail, and air it has a darkish treble.  

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #26 of 121
I owned the SE530 and found the JH to be a big step up.
I'm not sure what people are talking about when saying that the vocals on the JH are less forward than the Shures - seem perfectly good to me - I can hear everything that the artists is singing with all the inflections in their voices if the recording is good enough.
Both 13 & 16 are very detailed and resolving with plenty of reach at each end of the spectrum without bleeding over the mids.

The main difference between the 13 and 16 is the bass. The 16 has more emphasis throughout the bass region, whereas the 13 is less noticeable unless its in the sub bass area.
Having said that, that is my experience using the 13 & 16 with DAPs....however, plug the 13 into a dedicated amp and it becomes a different beast, with more than enough bass to satisfy, with plenty of deep rumblings.

The only minor criticism I have of the JH is that the sound stage could be wider and deeper...but I think this is addressed in the new Frequency Phase models.

Personally, I am dubious about Hybrids because of having to have vents  - doesn't that let a lot external sound as well as air in?

Apr 17, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #27 of 121
Here is the thing. Some hybrids have vents that will leak, some will not. I don't know all the hybrids. Also, I think that JH16 is also a very good option, if you like aggressive quick bass, but IMO, BA's bass doesn't have as much of a punch as dynamic. 

Apr 17, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #28 of 121
Quote:
BA's bass doesn't have as much of a punch as dynamic. 

I dont think there is much in it. My Ultrasone 900 are bass monsters and the JH16 can give them a run for their money when amped.

Apr 17, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #30 of 121
Quote:
They have good speed and accuracy, but not quiet the impact or depth imo.

Not quiet....but for tiny little BA, they are very impressive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back