SE535... Boy was I wrong...
Oct 27, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #4 of 8
  LOL thats Vauge but i agree i recently got me a pair of se535 again for thr 3rd time, i dont regret it.

It is indeed vague.

I've been amazed by speakers, but not by headphones (in-ear or otherwise). However, I like my 535 a lot. I'd say a new(ish) 535 does not have the resolution of a 535 with 1000s of hours on it. In other words, I wouldn't trade my current 535 (with over 2500 hours on it) for a brand new one.

I don't think “brain burn” is the reason my 535 is better than new. A little over a year ago, I had a brand new left earpiece and it did not sound nearly as good as the right ear piece. At the time, I posted about it on this forum. The left earpiece was blurry compared to the right. The sound was heavily focused to the right side. A member suggested that I might have a channel imbalance issue. Yeah, the “imbalance” was that the left earpiece had a long way to go to catch up to the right earpiece (which had over 1000 hours on it). I didn't need to get use to the 535's sound. I had been using 535s daily since 2010. I was uniquely qualified to notice the slightest difference. It started sounding balanced again somewhere between 300 and 500 hours.

Oct 27, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #6 of 8
I have a love/dissapointment relationship with it.  Everything is relative.  No question it is a great IEM.  But side by side with W3 I would take W3 every time.

If I had a complaint or could "fix" SE535....the midrange is too dominating making the bass and treble a little bit too much in the back ground.  I still prefer it over W4 but I find midrange dominant IEM's a bit fatiguing.

Overall, this is more of a preference thing.

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #7 of 8
  I have a love/dissapointment relationship with it.  Everything is relative.  No question it is a great IEM.  But side by side with W3 I would take W3 every time.

If I had a complaint or could "fix" SE535....the midrange is too dominating making the bass and treble a little bit too much in the back ground.  I still prefer it over W4 but I find midrange dominant IEM's a bit fatiguing.

I can't think of the 535 in a vacuum (source matters). If I start with an Apple DAP (amp or not), other IEMs (W4,SM64, UE900, the IQ, etc) sound more balanced. If I start with the Galaxy S1, I prefer the Shure E5c (so tall and wide). None of those combos (however) can match the 535 with the T-Mo S2 using Poweramp (Tone on with bass/treble up) and my recessed adapter. The V- sound-shaping pulls the mid-vocal region deep in the soundstage (thick, rounded, and surrounded by blackness). It makes my Apple DAPs sound 2D and in my face (and lacking sub-bass).

Poweramp does deep sub-bass better than any other software player I've heard to date. The 535 responds well to upping the bass. My IE8 may punch harder but not deeper than the 535. And the 535 can punch harder than I need. The treble of the 535 (in this configuration) sounds better than any other IEM I've ever heard.

Right now, I'm enjoying the newly discovered synergy between the SE846 and Galaxy Note 3. But I think the 846/Note 3 combo is better in a quieter environment and the 535/S2 still does a little better in the truck.

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #8 of 8

i think that the mids and highs depend on your other equipment used. personally i find there to be a balance to them that works, understanding that the midrange is emphasized more so than the bass. i have different equipment now, but feel the highs to have pretty good extension, with a silver cable you could see more extension im sure.

when i owned the se535-ltd-j and the se535-bronze before i only owned a zune platinum/ipod touch 3g fiio line out dock and a ibasso p4 warbler.

now my main dap/dac/amp setup is the iriver ihp-140/ibasso db2/rsa sr-71b with a toxic cable interconnect between the dac and amp, and a sys-concept custom fiber optic cable.

i actually find them a little bright in the highs with my new setup than i remember with my old setup. i recently purchased a DHC Symbiote for my 535 and i would normally go with silver, however given i feel the overall highs and mids are a tad bright, the copper might overall tame things i think. i donno we'll see.

but i find the se535 mid range dominance to be pretty phenomenal with vocals, esp female voclas, and in general vocals generally. comparing vocals from the w4r to the se535 i definitly find myself favoring my 535 when it comes to vocals, the presences gives the impression the artist is very close. thats one of the main reasons i went back to the se535 i found their vocal presence was highly reguarded IMO.

EVERY iem has their niche, one of the biggest things said about the westone w4r is it doesnt do anything wrong, but also doesnt emphasize any one particular iem. and i find the w4r to be great.

i guess you cant have everything

Users who are viewing this thread

Back