SE530 vs. JH13
Sep 18, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #2 of 16
I don't have the SE530's anymore, but I think that with the black olive foamies, you might get better isolation than with the JH13. But don't quote me on that.

The JH13 pretty much 0wns the SE530 in every respect, though. And not by a little bit, either. Better extension, better detail... really better everything.

Even the mids that make the SE530 so special... The JH13's mids might not have quite the same tone / flavor about them. They're perhaps more neutral and less creamy. And they definitely have more detail.

I am 110% happy that I sold my SE530 months ago. The JH13 do it for me, and then some.

Sep 18, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #3 of 16
My SE530s isolate the sound better than the JH13s. I barely hear anything when using them with the yellow foams.

I think thread was pretty much spotted on the sounds of the SE530 and JH13s. The SE530s' mid is very magical, sweet but on the fun side while the JH13's mid is sooo neutral.

Sep 19, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #4 of 16
yeah the SE530 isolate better when you have a good seal with them. not heaps better, but better. the mids on the shures are nice and all; sound great with some rock, but the tonality is wrong and some singers sound strange and throaty when they shouldnt. JH13 = win in all other areas though, I cant even begin to explain how

Sep 19, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #5 of 16
The jH13pro is one of the most neutral sounding phones I have heard. Though, like the SE530, I wish for sweeter treble. but isolation is definitely better with the se530. the only custom which will isolate more than a dense foam is a soft silicon custom. my sensaphonics are actually quite similar to the se530 in terms of isolation, though maybe even more so, and their mid sectionis a bit stronger than the jh13pro, making it a better analogue to the se530.

each are great earphones, but... there is no way i could compare overall sq between even the best univesal to any custom i have used.

Sep 19, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #6 of 16
SE530 with better treble would be the king of iems
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #7 of 16
^^ do you really think so?? I mean I DO like them, but the slightly rolled off treble is not the only problem with them. the bass does not go low enough for my taste; not quantity, but extension. and like I said IMO the tonality in the mids is a bit wrong; I much prefer the mids on UM3X

Sep 19, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ do you really think so?? I mean I DO like them, but the slightly rolled off treble is not the only problem with them. the bass does not go low enough for my taste; not quantity, but extension. and like I said IMO the tonality in the mids is a bit wrong; I much prefer the mids on UM3X

I do. It's just my own taste. The SE530s are by far the only universal IEMs that make me happy.

Sep 19, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #9 of 16
the bass goes very low - in tests, only a few dbl lower than 0 when going to 20Hz, but the mids are more forward, so they are less audible. trust me though, the bass does go very low and with little fall off. treble is detailed enough, but rolls off by quite a few dbl. the problem is that too many iems are fatiguing because the treble still goes very far whilst being so close to the poor eardrum.

i love the jh13pro for that reason. it is not treble energetic. sometimes, however, i wish for more emphasis.

Mar 8, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #11 of 16
I've found the SE530 to be quite bass heavy. I suppose it could be a matter of what you are listening to. Also I'm using EQ to get it to where I want it. Most everything I've pushed through the 530's it given back it it doesn't sound like it's cutting anything out. My 310's on the other hand have a very definitive drop in the bass response.

Mar 8, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #12 of 16
I would hope the JH13 wins here, but I really don't get this comparison as the JH13's cost about four times as much.

Mar 9, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by niranhopper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is the soundstage? does JH13 have a wider soundstage that SE530?

I hope someone will compare these two in this regard and with IE8 especialy width, depth.......

Mar 9, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #14 of 16
Yes, I own both the SE530 and JH13 and use both almost everyday. SE530 has more isolation but narrower and smaller soundstage. The sound travels farther in the tube in the JH13 which gives it a wider presentation - but it's still an IEM.

Sound quality isn't even a comparison. The Shure is a little speaker in your head playing a recording. The JH13 is a little musician in your head playing live music.

Mar 9, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #15 of 16
It has been a while since I owned the 530's, but I can tell you it is rare that you can find something and say, is it worth the extra money, well yes the 13's are 100% worth it. I don't know what the 530's are going for these days. I got mine about 2 years ago for $350. So, I would say that you get 100% improvement for the extra $750 spent. It's not even close. The 13's give so much more of everything sound wise. Save that money, they are sooooo worth it!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back