SE530 extreme disappointment :(
Oct 28, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #46 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I didn't realize the Livewires were only $249! I might have to try them next (in a year or so, can't be spending big bucks all the time on 'phones). Def gonna have to do some more reading on those though, because I want to be sure they'll have the bass I'm looking for.

I think the bass is pretty good.
etysmile.gif

EarthshatteringBass.jpg

Oct 29, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #47 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by blehmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not sure I am not adding anything of value since others have made comments that resonate with me. The SE530 is reasonably neutral but that does not sound like the problem. If it is fit --- and it sounds like it is fit --- the new contoured foamies made all of the difference in the world to me. Originally, however, I was pretty disappointed until I inserted them a bit differently one day, pushing them upward into the canal while pulling my earlobe down so that that the wire is right at the uppermost point at which it can then be pulled around the ear. The difference is night and day, I would have returned the 530's if not for this. I am not saying this insertion technique will work for you but it is worth experimenting with different methods to see if there is one that works. Oh, and I listen to lots of different types of music, including music that requires lots of accurate bass (this is what I expect when listening to Jimi Hendrix) and neutral clarity (which is what I expect when listening to piano sonatas).

Thanks for the post. I agree that fit and seal is everything. I have started to get a great seal, and I am getting a really amazing sound with very adequate bass, but unfortunately, it hurts like hell.

I've tried all ear tips, and am currently using the olive small foamies. I've tried all kinds of insertion and different angles, used the yawning trick.... but it still just begins to ache really strongly after 10 minutes, and this level of discomfort slowly builds until I am forced to take them out. Might try yellow foamies, but I think I'm just going to return it. Really dissapointed, because they were starting to really sound good to my ears last night....

I think the HD-25 might be my only option for commuting now, as I think I might have to kiss the IEM world goodbye. Thought about an super.fi EB for the fun factor, but if I found the SE530 uncomfortable, it seems highely likely that the EB will conpound these problems. Can't seem to find a money back guarantee for buying ultimate ears.

Thanks for all the help guys, but I guess my ear canals don't want to concede this battle.

Oct 29, 2007 at 7:29 AM Post #48 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by slattikarma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the post. I agree that fit and seal is everything. I have started to get a great seal, and I am getting a really amazing sound with very adequate bass, but unfortunately, it hurts like hell.

I've tried all ear tips, and am currently using the olive small foamies. I've tried all kinds of insertion and different angles, used the yawning trick.... but it still just begins to ache really strongly after 10 minutes, and this level of discomfort slowly builds until I am forced to take them out. Might try yellow foamies, but I think I'm just going to return it. Really dissapointed, because they were starting to really sound good to my ears last night....

Custom iem's are the way to go. Have you considered them? I also experienced discomfort with iem's until I discovered Livewires.

After a short trip to your local audiologist to take impressions of your ears, you send the impressions to Earpeace and they custom make the Livewires for you. Check the Livewires link in my signature.

Oct 30, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #49 of 54
One thing I forgot to mention in my last post is that moistening the foamies before inserting them makes the fit much more comfortable without impairing the quality of the seal.

Oct 31, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #52 of 54
gross.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back