SE530 extreme disappointment :(
Oct 24, 2007 at 1:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

slattikarma

100+ Head-Fier
Having bought into all the hype surrounding these phones, I am really disappointed with the sound.

I listen to mostly electronic music, psytrance, dub, ambient, soundscapes, idm.... and a bit of world, rock and folk.

I've spent the last couple of days trying all the tips and working on getting a good seal. Unfortunately, I can't get the soft flex to stay in my ears, the triple flanges hurt like hell, and i'm pretty sure I've got the black foamies in as far as they go, and when I tug, there is resistance and a pop when I remove them. (which I understand to be the sign of a good seal?).

Anyway, the sound is really uninspiring. The music sounds flat, dull and uninvolving. The bass is weak, but it may also be that my demands are too high (considering my full size is a DT770). I am really not enjoying any of my music on these, and it is a relief to take them out of my ears. I'm also having pain issues with them, and feel incredibly fatigued after 20 minutes. (I never had this problem with my e2cs).

Listening to my DT770 is heaven after this.

What's wrong??? The 'fun' factor is completely missing for me.
frown.gif

Oct 24, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #3 of 54
Sounds to me like you're inadvertently compressing the air in your ear canal by inserting the IEM's, getting a good seal, but neglecting to equalize the pressure back to normal. This deforms your eardrum and prevents you from hearing properly. It's like having a bad head cold or eustachianitis.

The solution IF this is your problem:
Once you've inserted the IEM in your ear, pull up on the top of each ear while opening your mouth as if to yawn, trying to "clear" your ears.

Hope this helps.

Oct 24, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #4 of 54
kwkarth, great suggestions.

slattikarma, have you used IEMs before? There is an adjustment period and making sure you follow the proper insertion techniques really is key to long-term comfort and the best listening experience.

Oct 24, 2007 at 2:28 PM Post #5 of 54
Thanks for the suggestions. You might be on to something there Kwkarth.

I used e2cs for two years, but they sometimes caused me pain and I could rarely use them for longer then an hour or two without getting fatigued. I'm starting to wonder if maybe I had been compressing the air into my ear canal all this time...

I'm also wondering if maybe these phones just don't suit my tastes? The rock and world music sound a bit better, but the electronic music sounds incredibly lifeless and boring. Maybe the UM2s will give me that more involving feel that I'm after.

Also, any tips for putting the flex sleeves in? They just don't seem to stay in my ears at all, and the triple flanges seem way too be big!

Oct 24, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #6 of 54
I just finished up a UM2/E500 swap. If you hate the 530s I doubt that you'll fall in love with the UM2s. I prefer the UM2s but they sound similar to the 500/530s.

Oct 24, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #7 of 54
Maybe I'm just not suited to IEMS. I love my DT770s, but they are useless for the train or any enviroment that needs isolation.

I'll keep battling away with these 530s, I've got a couple of weeks still before the money back guarantee runs out...

I expected an adjustment period, but didn't anticipate having such a bad first impression and physical discomfort.

Oct 24, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #8 of 54
i went from um2 and e500 to atrio m5 and love them - i only listen to trance and trance ambient. what i missed from the um2/e500 and armature design was the speed of bass and decay. however, after getting used to them i prefer the atrio m5 in every way - they are not fatiguing at all.

however, i preferred a very harsh and clean sound (ie er4s) for trance. i like clinical and precise but now i am getting used to slightly less details and huge bass - even for trance where i used to want only speed.

atrio m5 may have more bass than the dt770 and are somewhat darkish, i would say they resemble the sound of a more dark dh600.

my dt770 are also one of my favs but i don't use them portably either. you may try the atrio - the sound of dynammics are your thing - as they are for me, then you should try. you also may want to try foamies or olives from shure, they are quite good if just a little intimate!

Oct 24, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #10 of 54
slattikarma, are you compressing the foams by rolling them between your fingers and thumb before inserting them into your ears? I find that I've got about 2 seconds to get them inserted properly before I can no longer do so due to the expanding foam. Just thought I'd throw this out there if you were not compressing the foam first before inserting...

Oct 24, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #11 of 54
Try cutting the Tri flanges down to bi's (biggest one if you have small ears, smallest if big ears), and try the clearflex tips (much better than soft, imo). I use small clearflex and they go in very far, ****loads of bass (coming from an HD650 user).

I can understand why you would think of them as boring, as the highs are rolled off too much, and with your issue, no bass. I would say try different tips.

Oct 24, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #12 of 54
Takes a bit of time to get used to IEMs, especially for first time users. Give it about two weeks, experiment a bit with them, and try to adjust to them. If they're still not your cup of tea, then, sell 'em here or return them.

Oct 24, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #13 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by slattikarma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I'm just not suited to IEMS. I love my DT770s, but they are useless for the train or any enviroment that needs isolation..

Maybe try the transparent gel pads. The have great sound isolation and prefent sound leakage. They are also very comfortable. You might get some strange looks, but who cares when you are in audiophile heaven..

These are modded BD 770's.. Darth Beyer with ebony wood..

P1010142-1.jpg

Can be ordered through..http://shop.beyerdynamic-usa.com/oxi...6d6f7.84461280

Oct 24, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #14 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by slattikarma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I'm just not suited to IEMS. I love my DT770s, but they are useless for the train or any enviroment that needs isolation.

I'll keep battling away with these 530s, I've got a couple of weeks still before the money back guarantee runs out...

I expected an adjustment period, but didn't anticipate having such a bad first impression and physical discomfort.

I also have and love the 770s. The UE Super.fi 5 EBs are the IEM equivalent.

Other IEMs have significantly less bass. Which isn't bad if you primarily listen to classical (which is what I use my super.fi 5 Pros at this point). Otherwise, its SF5 EB.

Oct 24, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #15 of 54
I didn't like my E500's when I first got them either. They respond great to EQ though, even with the preset "Electronic" setting on my Zune. With a bit of boost in the high end, music becomes MUCH more enjoyable. I'm in search of a player with user-definable EQ now, I really hate being limited to the presets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back