SE530 extreme disappointment :(
Oct 24, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #16 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by slattikarma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am really disappointed with the sound.
I listen to mostly electronic music, psytrance, dub, ambient, soundscapes, idm....

What's wrong??? The 'fun' factor is completely missing for me.
frown.gif

slatttikarma; I see no mention of your source. The SE530s are reasonably transparent, they are only as good as your source.

Right now I'm listening to Uphonic: Hakim Bay (2001), CD, which I have not listened since I got my new Shures, and the bass thump is making the hairs on the back of my neck stand up (!).

My source: pcdp LO > cryo mini > tomahawk > SE530.

Oct 25, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #18 of 54
I've recently received my E500's. I find that the sound is reasonable (but not for the price I purchased it at).

However, my amp drastically improves bass and overall sound. I'm not blown away by the sound and I have no other IEMs to compare with, but I tried keeping my expectations moderate to low since my other phones are the MS-1's and DT-880's which I just can't help but compare with.

Oct 25, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #19 of 54
Quote:

Source: Ipod photo (4th gen perhaps?) with a generic line out to a Corda Move. Playing LAME mp3s.... variable bitrate...averaging around 220-30 kps....

That would be why. RockBox that baby and load it with FLAC's, and it will sound better.

Oct 25, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #20 of 54
What u could do it get one pair of those very cheap Sony Errcsion original earbug...... those one that look like Sony MDR ex51......

they have crazy heavy bass but nothing else ==........

I love my SE530..... btw what is the source for your music?

I listen to techno music too...... i think SE530 is great..... i use to use Sony ex90..... now i find se530 to be much better than ex90

Oct 25, 2007 at 7:40 AM Post #23 of 54
Thanks heaps for all the replies. I love this forum.

After a bit more experimentation, I have settled on the small olive foamies, and I'm starting to get some good bass going. So that problem is solved. The sound still feels a little uninvolving, but starting to enjoy it better.

Unfortunately, the issue of discomfort and pain still remains. Once I insert the phones, I'm fine for the first 10 minutes, but after that I start to feel increasing soreness in my ears and fatigue. (I'm currently listening at low volumes) After about 50 minutes I have to take them out, and its a huge relief when they come out, and my ears continue to ache for about 20 minutes afterwards.

Is this just an adjustment phase, or is there anything I can do to increase comfort?

I didn't have this comfort issue with my e2cs, and strangely, I feel that the olive foamies should be more comfortable then the old orange foams.

Oct 25, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #24 of 54
Quote:

Thanks heaps for all the replies. I love this forum.

After a bit more experimentation, I have settled on the small olive foamies, and I'm starting to get some good bass going. So that problem is solved. The sound still feels a little uninvolving, but starting to enjoy it better.

Unfortunately, the issue of discomfort and pain still remains. Once I insert the phones, I'm fine for the first 10 minutes, but after that I start to feel increasing soreness in my ears and fatigue. (I'm currently listening at low volumes) After about 50 minutes I have to take them out, and its a huge relief when they come out, and my ears continue to ache for about 20 minutes afterwards.

Is this just an adjustment phase, or is there anything I can do to increase comfort?

I didn't have this comfort issue with my e2cs, and strangely, I feel that the olive foamies should be more comfortable then the old orange foams.

Some matter of further accommodation/adjustment may remain, but it may also be that your ear canal is too small for even the small olive foamie.

I own both the Etymotic ER4 and the Altec Lansing iM716. While they both utilize similarly shaped triple flanged ear pieces, and are both designed by Etymotic, I NEVER could get comfortable with the Altec's, while the ER4's fit perfectly and are comfortable over the long term. It turns out that the stem which is part of the IEM inside the flanged plugs is larger in diameter on the Altec's than it is on the Etymotics. It resulted in the same sort of discomfort for me that you describe that you're having with the olive foamies. I was never able to find comfort with the Altec's, even though I could achieve a good seal and decent sound.

Oct 25, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #25 of 54
Quote:

Source: Ipod photo (4th gen perhaps?) with a generic line out to a Corda Move. Playing LAME mp3s.... variable bitrate...averaging around 220-30 kps....

BTW, are you using the headphone out or the true line out through a line out dock?

Oct 26, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #26 of 54
True line out.... but just some generic line out dock I got on ebay for $30....

Weirdly enough, the stem on the se530s seems smaller then on the e2cs.... but the e2cs are more comfortable for me.

Oct 26, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #28 of 54
Try small ovlive foams, the ones that come with the SE530s are medium sized.

Oct 26, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #29 of 54
I just got the E500 today, also have the same extreme dissapointment... whoever said these things were bassy ought to be drug out into the street and shot. Well, not seriously, but still! And believe me, I have plenty of experience with IEMs, also owning the Er6i and super fi 3 and 5 pro among others

Oct 26, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #30 of 54
sell the shures and get ue super.fi 5 eb like many have said. If you like the bass from the 770's the 5 eb's will be as close as you can get. (and i have seen them go for pretty cheap)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back