SE530 Disappointment / Alternative Suggestions?
Apr 26, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #46 of 67
@ mark, I absolutely think the er4's are showing their age & nothing would please me more than to see etymotic make some updates to them, but every praise I've stated about them has been prefaced w/ a statement that it was based solely on my opinion alone. Voltage doesnt do that. He blindly praises every aspect of a single iem (which for all we know could very well be one of only a couple that he's ever tried) while at the same time completely dismissing everyone else's opinions if they contradict from his own. I may be a bit newer to these forums than you or voltage for that matter, but I was under the impression that it is a place for intelligent discussion, not blind, uncompromising ramblings of an uneducated fanboy. Honestly Mark, I always thought your discussions were quite helpful, (certainally more helpful than voltage), but if you're gonna defend this guy just because you share the same taste as him, you two are in the same league. Just my opinion anyway.

Apr 26, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #47 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by jleewach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ mark, I absolutely think the er4's are showing their age & nothing would please me more than to see etymotic make some updates to them, but every praise I've stated about them has been prefaced w/ a statement that it was based solely on my opinion alone. Voltage doesnt do that. He blindly praises every aspect of a single iem (which for all we know could very well be one of only a couple that he's ever tried) while at the same time completely dismissing everyone else's opinions if they contradict from his own. I may be a bit newer to these forums than you or voltage for that matter, but I was under the impression that it is a place for intelligent discussion, not blind, uncompromising ramblings of an uneducated fanboy. Honestly Mark, I always thought your discussions were quite helpful, (certainally more helpful than voltage), but if you're gonna defend this guy just because you share the same taste as him, you two are in the same league. Just my opinion anyway.

ive just assumed he has an ASD or similar issue, you people arent telling him things hes not been told before

and erm did i or did i not twice in this thread recommend the OP the IE8 as from what hes said i think they would be a better match for him?

all i was saying is that just becasue voltag3 is a rampant fanboi doesnt mean the things he says about the 530 arent true. if thats the sound signature you are after then its perfect. however as again i said before others prefer less mids, more bass and lots more highs. in this case i felt the IE8 would be a better fit for the OP

Apr 26, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #48 of 67
you're right, it's probably just better left alone. I just wish some people would be a bit more subjective

Apr 26, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #49 of 67
I have to jump in here
biggrin.gif
!

(Oh no, another fanboi!!)

No, I'll spare you. I haven't read every comment in this thread, but I throw in a few words. First of all...
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
however as again i said before others prefer less mids, more bass and lots more highs. in this case i felt the IE8 would be a better fit for the OP

... I really would have to agree with this recommendation. The SE530 is definitely NOT for everyone. And it's not a case of whether they are good or bad. It really does come down to sound signature. Out of the "big four" (I guess they're being called these days), based on comments, I would say the SE530 is the most "different." It's really the only one that, instead of relaxing them, rather pushes the mids to the front. Now, this is by no means a bad thing because the mids sound extremely good (a suggestive comment, yes, but in my opinion, they live up to their reputation as being the "mids king"). But on the flip side, is having prominent mids a good thing? Absolutely not! At least not in all cases.

Now, I have, and use, both the SE530 and the IE8. To be honest, I would have to say they both differ more than they are the same, and they both have their strengths and weaknesses (I can compare them in depth upon request, but again, I'll spare you). But to me they both have their place on the IEM market, and in my daily use. So (at the OP), if you're not liking the Shures, even as a self-proclaimed SE530 lover (look at my DP for Christ's sake
biggrin.gif
), I completely understand. And again, as mark said, the IE8 should definitely be on your list of IEMs to try next.

Apr 26, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #50 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by skidu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So i brought a pair of these last week and to be honest I'm kind of disappointed with the sound.

It may be down to the tips, as i can't seem to remove the stock med foams. I've tried everything from the twisting/pulling with a cloth to putting them in the freezer - but they appear to actually be glued to the base of the stem which could be the reason they're so hard to remove?

Although with this being said, they are very comfortable and provide a great isolation/fit that pass the seal test

Now onto the sound, i wouldn't say they are 'bad' in any particular area but just don't find myself enjoying the music i listen too anymore. (rock, hip-hop, pop, house/trance, classical ost)

Compared to my HD 485 / D-1001 and EP-630 the shrues come across quite boring and uninspiring. All the detail is there and everything is beautiful balanced but i just can't seem to crack a smile when listening to them. It's almost as if, I'm more concerned about trying to hear this 'amazing' sound which everyone speaks of then actually appreciating to the music itself.

Also because I'm so used to this 'bassy' sound signature and large sound stage perhaps these iem's are just too neutral and uncoloured for my liking?

In which case, could anyone recommended some alternatives that have deep bass response and a wide soundstage (i've read the IE8 are quite good at this?)

Finally, i was planning on returning the SE530's back to play.com mainly because i can't get the tips off. Would it be worth returning them to shure instead for another pair then having a play around with the silicone/tri-flanges instead or is it not really going to make that much difference considering i get a good fit the to stock foams anyway?

Thanks for reading.

lol you know why they don;t sound good? Because IEMs don't compare to full size cans. You want a good SQ? Get the HD 650. Your HD 495 is a low end full size can but is still better than the best of the IEMs.

Apr 26, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #51 of 67
Skidu, you want the IE8's. Most of the reviews I've read of them fit exactly what you want. Enjoy! And sorry the 530's didn't work out for you, mate, they're really good to my ears.

But we all have different ears, alas.

Apr 27, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #52 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Westone 3 review iLounge. [size=medium]Scored a A[/size]-

"For audiophiles, the choice between Westone’s, Shure’s, and UE’s highest-end in-canal earphones is pretty clear. If you’re looking for neutral triple-driver canalphones, Ultimate Ears’ Triple.fi 10 Pro offers that, at the lowest current entry price point of $400. Bass fans will find that the same dollars can buy the warmer Westone 3, which has physical size and a better array of eartips as advantages, or can consider upgrading to the custom-fit UE-11 Pro, which packs more low-end power but is frankly too expensive for what it offers. Our top pick in this category remains the Shure SE530, which sells for a little more than 3, but makes more judicious use of its three drivers, but Westone 3 is a strong alternative to that and the Triple.fi 10 Pro if you want a great combination of warmth, pricing, and comfort. We’d rate it above the Triple.Fi 10 Pro overall—despite the delays and its decidedly slanted sound signature, it is certainly one of the best premium canalphone options out there."

Shure E500/SE530 review iLounge [size=medium]Scored a A[/size]

"Like the AKG K701s, the E500PTHs deliver sound that even neutrality-obsessed audiophiles will find acceptably balanced on the high and low ends, with just enough warmth to make music sound richer and better than you last remembered hearing it. This is true even by contrast with the more expensive UE-10 Pros, which add a hint of bass to the ER-4Ps, but not enough to fully justify their $600 difference in price; here, the E500PTHs are perceptibly but delicately superior. In a word - and a rare one around these parts - we’d call the E500PTH’s sound balance “perfect” for an in-canal phone, even when heard immediately after competitors that are themselves very hard to fault. "

Just trying to prove not everyone thinks the Westone 3's are superior to the Shure SE530's. They are many other people I can find who prefer the Shure's over the Westone's. Each earphones is amazing but they won't sound amazing to everyone as everyone has different taste in music.

Who is this guy? iLounge's reviews often suck and are performed by just some guy.

Apr 27, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #53 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by jleewach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ Voltag3, do you not realize that you are quite honestly the most annoying head-fi'er on the board at this moment in time? I think EVERYONE on head-fi realizes how proud you are of your "expensive, shiny se530's," but you need to realize that they're not immaculate. I've listened to them for quite some time & have found many iem's (all of which are less expensive) that have superior sound reproduction to my ears. I've also tried the "mod" that you're so proud of, and honestly, it didnt do too much for me. Now I know that you worship your 530's & cannot possibly understand how anyone could possibly prefer something else, but the more you try to defend your "jewels" while dismissing others' opinions, the more ridiculous you make yourself sound. Just give it a rest dude, the 530's are not that great, and imho, the "immaculate" 3 driver setup from Shure is starting to show it's age in the face of superior multi-driver and single driver technologies from other companies....

I could NOT agree more with you. This kid is the most annoying on this forum...period. He is a 17 year old jerk who got the SE530s as a gift and now thinks himself an audiophile...at 17 and only with a pair of SE530s and a below average IQ and nothing else!

I will too he would find a girlfriend and move on...

Apr 27, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #54 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could NOT agree more with you. This kid is the most annoying on this forum...period. He is a 17 year old jerk who got the SE530s as a gift and now thinks himself an audiophile...at 17 and only with a pair of SE530s and a below average IQ and nothing else!

I will too he would find a girlfriend and move on...

LMAO! I wouldn't buy the SE530s now, I'm thinking of the Triple fis.

Apr 27, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #55 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by hurryup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LMAO! I wouldn't buy the SE530s now, I'm thinking of the Triple fis.

No ones stopping ya. Cant wait to get my Westone ES3X's.

Apr 27, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #56 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey don't forget to add with better hearing than you all!!!
k701smile.gif

My 37 year old ears are still pretty good...and hearing don't mean a thing without a CPU to process the information.

Apr 27, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #58 of 67
coming from EP-630, i won't be surprised that you get disappointed with SE530, they're too different. IEMs like atrios, TF10pro or IE8 should do better for your tastes. having tried the demo unit several times, i had many mixed feelings about SE530 before finally getting it for what it does best. its really not for everyone.

Apr 27, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #60 of 67
Voltage3 is banned? oh, even he is quite annoying sometimes, after all it is forum to let pepople to talk freely

I think IE8 is average for anything so far. The low end, bass, soundstage is amazing. Mid is average, so as high end. You can think of other Top IEM is something like that. It do some area great and average in other aspect, so if you found yourself as a person who like deep bass and low end detail, get IE8. And I can tell low end detail, warmness is important for reproducing male vocal, if you prefer male vocal than female, you will not be disappointed.

If you want more sparke and treble, I will prefer tri fi 10 pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back