SE530 Disappointment / Alternative Suggestions?
Apr 26, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #16 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may initially want to get a replacement from Shure and try all tips before you can be absolutely sure about keeping them or not.

I owned the SE530's for a month and, while nice sounding, I'd expected better SQ & build quality from them. So, I sold them after only 1 month, got the Westone 3's and was VERY happy about my decision, which now felt like a proper upgrade from what I had before - I specially felt the bass, treble and head/ soundstage were generally better on the W3. Comfort was only slightly better also. Absolutely hated the bulky & heavy Shure cables and loved the unobtrusive cable of the W3, which is very light, durable, and it's just one cable without extensions, a big plus for me - no extra bulk after the Y split.

On a more personal note, I found the SE530's very cheap/ tacky looking and was extremely disappointed when I actually had the product in my hands, which was a BIG contrast to the very nice looking photos I'd seen on the web where I actually thought they looked rather stylish - I honestly felt that my Sony mdr-ex90 looked better built and much more classy. I found the type of plastic used on the W3 of better quality too and, to me, a nice design.

You pretty much summed up my experience...since I got the Westone 3s, I haven't stopped smiling!

Apr 26, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #17 of 67
Ok lets get this all straight.....

The Shure SE530's high presentation is at lower volume to prevent listening fatigue. The detail in the highs in the Shure SE530's is all there but since it is at a lower volume nearly everyone says it has no detail in the highs. If you amp the Shure SE530's with a high quality amplifier the SE530's will turn into a completely different earphone with a treble happy sound signature something I'm afraid of. Simply boost the treble of the Shure SE530's and watch those highs come alive. Also try my mod first since that alone improves highs for me to a natural point any more treble and my eardrums will leave with their suitcases. Also this is coming from someone with perfect hearing because I am young so when I say the highs on the Shure SE530's are natural they are...The majority of head-fier's are old and are not as sensitive as me in the higher frequency range resulting in them bashing the Shure SE530's further.

So first try my mod. You will see a treble increase. if you desire more treble simply raise the volume of the treble range a bit. These earphones will not distort, they will do what you tell them without breaking a sweat. It is better you get a portable amplifier like the iQube or RSA P-51 Mustang for the Shure SE530's instead of using a low quality iPod EQ. Some good EQ presets on the iPod are "Treble Booster" and "Electronic". Those will raise the high output, I personally thought they made my SE530's too bright when I was at the Apple store so i went back to no EQ and the Zune 120 sounds better than every iPod I've tested all with no EQ.

Don't let anyone fool you when they say the Shure SE530's highs has no detail. It has all the detail you can ask for but at a lower volume more listener friendly...
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #18 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Put them in the freezer for 30 minutes and grab the body of the Shure SE530's and use a t-shirt or paper towel for grip and twist. Once they finally begin to twist the seal has been broken. Now proceed to twist and pull down the nozzle. Do the same for the other earpiece. Then try my mod....

The bass on the Westone 3 isn't better than the Shure SE530's in terms of quality. It simply has more volume but the quality is about the same. Also the soundstage on Shure SE530's goes slightly deeper than the Westone 3's. The Westone 3's are too bassy and treble happy for my needs. While the Shure SE530's are way more natural sounding and smooth......I just want to touch the frequency response of the Shure SE530's....sooo smooth...

You still won't admit it? Most reputable reviewers (HeadphoneAddict, Ray Samuels) all say the Westone 3s are better. I've heard both and found the SE530s slightly better than my SE310s. I now own a set of Westone 3s and must say they are BETTER at everything.

Look, this guy is not happy (as are many who try the SE530s) with this product, there is very little he can do to make them more exciting because they are not!

Honestly, the Westone 3s are the better product (deeper bass with more resolution and milky highs with very strong mids) and are much more fun to listen to...period.

You are such a FANBOY.

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #19 of 67
theres a post from three years ago on here somewhere, read it recently but cant find it again, maybe you can, I think the poster was LFF, who compared the se530 to the ultimate ears pro 10 customs and the se530 where either side by side or ahead of the ue 10 customs (I dont mean the triple fi's).

Find the thread, read it, take from it what you will

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #20 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You still won't admit it? Most reputable reviewers (HeadphoneAddict, Ray Samuels) all say the Westone 3s are better. I've heard both and found the SE530s slightly better than my SE310s. I now own a set of Westone 3s and must say they are BETTER at everything.

Look, this guy is not happy (as are many who try the SE530s) with this product, there is very little he can do to make them more exciting because they are not!

Honestly, the Westone 3s are the better product (deeper bass with more resolution and milky highs with very strong mids) and are much more fun to listen to...period.

You are such a FANBOY.

If the Westone 3 were better EVERYONE would agree with this and frankly that is not the case. Lots of people on head-fi prefer the Shure SE530's over the Westone 3's. They're are both amazing pair of earphones with DIFFERENT sound signatures. One mans poison is another mans honey. The Westone 3's wants you to focus on bass and highs which is the reason these frequencies were boosted. The Shure SE530's wants you to focus on the most important frequency in the song the midrange. Also there is no comparison the Shure SE530's has the best midrange of any universal IEM. Personally I want my earphone to handle the most important frequency flawlessly. The Shure SE530's does that and still gives me perfect amount of bass...sooo detailed and extends sooo low with a smooth and silky yet detailed treble because it cares about my eardrums....
icon10.gif

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #21 of 67
Apr 26, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #22 of 67
Westone 3 review iLounge. [size=medium]Scored a A[/size]-

"For audiophiles, the choice between Westone’s, Shure’s, and UE’s highest-end in-canal earphones is pretty clear. If you’re looking for neutral triple-driver canalphones, Ultimate Ears’ Triple.fi 10 Pro offers that, at the lowest current entry price point of $400. Bass fans will find that the same dollars can buy the warmer Westone 3, which has physical size and a better array of eartips as advantages, or can consider upgrading to the custom-fit UE-11 Pro, which packs more low-end power but is frankly too expensive for what it offers. Our top pick in this category remains the Shure SE530, which sells for a little more than 3, but makes more judicious use of its three drivers, but Westone 3 is a strong alternative to that and the Triple.fi 10 Pro if you want a great combination of warmth, pricing, and comfort. We’d rate it above the Triple.Fi 10 Pro overall—despite the delays and its decidedly slanted sound signature, it is certainly one of the best premium canalphone options out there."

Shure E500/SE530 review iLounge [size=medium]Scored a A[/size]

"Like the AKG K701s, the E500PTHs deliver sound that even neutrality-obsessed audiophiles will find acceptably balanced on the high and low ends, with just enough warmth to make music sound richer and better than you last remembered hearing it. This is true even by contrast with the more expensive UE-10 Pros, which add a hint of bass to the ER-4Ps, but not enough to fully justify their $600 difference in price; here, the E500PTHs are perceptibly but delicately superior. In a word - and a rare one around these parts - we’d call the E500PTH’s sound balance “perfect” for an in-canal phone, even when heard immediately after competitors that are themselves very hard to fault. "

Just trying to prove not everyone thinks the Westone 3's are superior to the Shure SE530's. They are many other people I can find who prefer the Shure's over the Westone's. Each earphones is amazing but they won't sound amazing to everyone as everyone has different taste in music.

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #24 of 67
^ It's all comes down to your personal preference.

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #25 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tbf, headphone addict hasn't been able to hear hiss in at least two amps that others have reported it in. We all know your ears go downhill with age.

Just like I've said earlier. My hearing is probably better than anyone who prefers the Westone 3's over the Shure SE530's yet I prefer the Shure SE530's natural sound....mmmmmm.

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #26 of 67
Lets not make this thread another circus show. I've proven my point. It seems to me everyone hates the 3 year old Shure SE530's now because they know people still find it superior to their brand new 3 way speaker IEM.

Also to the OP. I hope you can remove those pesky foam tips and try my mod..
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #27 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by skidu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the link, that is indeed a good price. I haven't really read up the W3 but i assume by you're recommendation they have better bass/soundstage then the SE530?

Yes, for me it provided better bass and certainly better highs & wider head/soundstage.

Soon after getting my W3's I purchased the P-51 Mustang amp ($375 + $65 shipping! -> £300!!), and decided to sell it (as you can see in my sig) because I felt it did NOT provide better SQ than just the W3 + headphone out of my iPod Classic 160gb.

Yes, there are people out there who have REALLY tried both the SE530 + W3 and prefer the former. And others who find the W3 better, and some, like me, significantly better.

There are some who say they prefer this or that IEM but have NOT really tried them themselves and base their views ONLY on what other people have written.

I haven't tried the IE8 (also highly regarded in these forums) or the Triple fi. 10 (highly regarded as well) -- The ones I DO know very well are: Sony mdr-e888, Sony mdr-ex90, UE Super fi.5 (New 2008 release - non Frankenstein style), Shure SE350, Westone 3, [and Westone ES3X (customs), AKG - K141 & Senn HD650 (both full headphones)] -- For these ears the best of the universal IEM types is, without a doubt, the W3.

My advice to you is to spend some worthwhile time reading up on these top IEM's as NOT EVERYONE will post in this particular thread and necessarily give you the best unbiased advice.

EDIT: For me, btw, the soft grey silicone tips provided the best SQ, comfort & isolation on both the W3 and the SE530. All other tips just sounded wrong. Having said that, diff people will find diff tips work best for them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
theres a post from three years ago on here somewhere, read it recently but cant find it again, maybe you can, I think the poster was LFF, who compared the se530 to the ultimate ears pro 10 customs and the se530 where either side by side or ahead of the ue 10 customs (I dont mean the triple fi's).

Find the thread, read it, take from it what you will

You're right about that thread - only thing, though, is that it was written 2/3 years ago, soon after the SE530's came out -- The W3 & IE8 only came out a few months ago.

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #28 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by skidu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So i brought a pair of these last week and to be honest I'm kind of disappointed with the sound.

It may be down to the tips, as i can't seem to remove the stock med foams. I've tried everything from the twisting/pulling with a cloth to putting them in the freezer - but they appear to actually be glued to the base of the stem which could be the reason they're so hard to remove?

Although with this being said, they are very comfortable and provide a great isolation/fit that pass the seal test

Now onto the sound, i wouldn't say they are 'bad' in any particular area but just don't find myself enjoying the music i listen too anymore. (rock, hip-hop, pop, house/trance, classical ost)

Compared to my HD 485 / D-1001 and EP-630 the shrues come across quite boring and uninspiring. All the detail is there and everything is beautiful balanced but i just can't seem to crack a smile when listening to them. It's almost as if, I'm more concerned about trying to hear this 'amazing' sound which everyone speaks of then actually appreciating to the music itself.

Also because I'm so used to this 'bassy' sound signature and large sound stage perhaps these iem's are just too neutral and uncoloured for my liking?

In which case, could anyone recommended some alternatives that have deep bass response and a wide soundstage (i've read the IE8 are quite good at this?)

Finally, i was planning on returning the SE530's back to play.com mainly because i can't get the tips off. Would it be worth returning them to shure instead for another pair then having a play around with the silicone/tri-flanges instead or is it not really going to make that much difference considering i get a good fit the to stock foams anyway?

Thanks for reading.

to me it sounds like the IE8 might well be the very thing for you, they should give you the dynamic and exciting sound you seek.

btw it was me who was saying they are a bit too much i feel, but going from what you think about about the sound sig of the 530 i think you may appreciate the bass and the highs on them

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #29 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to me it sounds like the IE8 might well be the very thing for you, they should give you the dynamic and exciting sound you seek.

btw it was me who was saying they are a bit too much i feel, but going from what you think about about the sound sig of the 530 i think you may appreciate the bass and the highs on them

He needs to try my mod first...
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #30 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The IE8's are very good with soundstaging. Really remarkable for an IEM. They're the closest thing I've heard so far to listening with cans. I personally don't find them the least bit fatiguing. The highs aren't sibilant or harsh at all. But I guess some of what you've been reading can be source dependent. I use a Sony A829, and they're a great match with it. An iPod Touch 2G is great with them from what I've read as well, actually helping increase soundstage a little more over the Sony DAP's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kobayashi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure can. The IE8 and W3 each take any number of various tips from foams to flanges.

The IE8s aren't fatiguing at all. The highs are drastically rolled-off like on the SE530 but they aren't sibilant either. Smoother and more laid-back than clinical IEMs like the PFE or ER4S.

Thanks for the reply guys, that was pretty much my main worry ( highs being sibilant / harsh)

@cn11 I see you're buying a pair of AHD-2000, just wondering if you've had any experience with the AHD-1001 and how do they compare to the IE8? I love the soung sig on the 1001's and ideally would like an IEM with something similar. Also congrats on the 1000th post.

@kobayashi Any recommendations on some decent noise isolation tips for the IE8's , i heard comply's are suppose to be quite good?

@VoLTaG3 , I don't have an issue with treble detail ( im fairly young and have good hearing) and like i said it earlier posts it's very detailed and balanced but just lacks that bass and soundstage that im after.

Finally to anyone who owns the W3 & IE8 - i've read the IE8 has very deep bass and great sound staging but how does the W3 compare? In the UK the W3 work about about £100 more and ideally for that price i would rather get a pair of HD650's - so unless they are substantially better the IE8 looks like the best option atm.

Oh and just to confuse matters futher, how does the IE7 stack up to the IE8 in bass/soundstage (i'm not really too bothered about the midrange)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back