SE pennsylvania meet impressions
Oct 11, 2005 at 11:57 AM Post #31 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin
The only reaction I have to report on the E5, was Ray's. He was checking on the L3k's out of my system, when he suddenly looked quizzical and asked what player I was using. He then went and got his reference 600's/music and listened some more. His comments were "That's some player", "How much was it?", "Those chinese are going to put us all out of business!"
eek.gif

I remember this.
rs1smile.gif

What was also hilarious is I tried to pick up both Tyll's MAX Balanced and raisin's E5. Both weighted about the same, circa 150 lbs....errr....20-30lbs. Real tough to break...

Trogdor

Oct 11, 2005 at 4:12 PM Post #32 of 60
HI guys,

I'm back home and able to get my pix unloaded, but befor I post them I want to thank Mr. Don for the great time. He did a bang up job on setting up for the meet. He said he was a bit worried about pulling it off...HA! This community knows how to move in and make itself at home. He'll testify to the fact that running a meet is not much more than finding a place and keeping up with the first post edits. Once the meet is on it's just a comfy time with the folks and gear.

Big thanks to Ray, of course, for showing up so that I have someone to banter with. And to Hirsch too, for hauling in the heavy hardware. It's always a pleasure to hang with guys willing to put out the effort needed to give the community a chance to hear all the esoteric offerings.

Also a big shout out to Paul and Lee (the two young kids), it's great to meet a couple of guys who are dragging dad down the road to headphonedom. Please remember to PM me on the goodies I promised.

Immtbiker gave me a coule of disks to return to Canman and guess what, I spaced it. So, Brian, would you please PM me your address stuff so I can get them to you?

Now, to the pix:

meetpitmrdon.jpg

meetpittheguys.jpg

meetpittaylor.jpg

meetpittable.jpg

meetpitroom.jpg

meetpitraywithlittledot.jpg

meetpitraystable.jpg

meetpitray.jpg

meetpitraptor.jpg

meetpitr10.jpg

meetpitmowthehawk.jpg

meetpitmarklusts.jpg

meetpitmark.jpg

meetpitlongtable.jpg

meetpitlee.jpg

meetpitizzy.jpg

meetpithirschpokestubes.jpg

meetpithirsch.jpg

meetpitfesbandmicro.jpg

meetpitfebsstuff.jpg

meetpitdogonheadphones.jpg

meetpitdesktops.jpg

Oct 11, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #33 of 60
Daddy Orpheus HE90s into the STAX SRM-007t? A Dog wearing HD201? The hits keep coming! Thanks for the new pics, meet impressions are always more fun to check out when you get a flavor of what went on!

Oct 11, 2005 at 5:38 PM Post #34 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Daddy Orpheus HE90s into the STAX SRM-007t? A Dog wearing HD201? The hits keep coming! Thanks for the new pics, meet impressions are always more fun to check out when you get a flavor of what went on!

The Stax amp does a nice job with the HE-90! I am trying to locate one to use with my HE-60.

Oct 11, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #35 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Talk about how not to wear the SA5000. I wonder if he liked how they sound or not?

My dad!
smily_headphones1.gif
Audiophile, not headphile. LOL

And even though I wasn't smiling in ANY of the pictures, I still had tons of fun!

By the way, was anyone sick at the meet, that night, I got the flu!

Oct 11, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #36 of 60
I would like to thank Mr. Don for organizing this meet. I was so impressed that all tables were organised & outlets with extension wires were avialable for every table, The place was clean & the service from the members of the church was first class.
Thanks to Canman, Brian, who went above & beyond the call of friendship to make sure I was comfortable. I was picked from the airport, driven to his great looking apartment which has a great location on the river looking at a beautiful bridge. His place was very clean & nicely furnished. We waited for Tylor who came with three sandwitches that were out of this world, Never had that kind of beef in a bread that tested so good. Thanks Tylor. We headed toward the meet which took around an hour driving in the rain.
The meet went very well & got to see some new faces & some that I have met before, Hirsch, Stephen, Tyll & Canman who I can't be more thankfull to him as he invited me to stay at his place for the night after we, tylor, canman & I, went for that famous Philly's cheese steak.
On Sunday Brian took me back to the airport.
Thanks to all who pmed me asking if they could assist in helping me.
Ray Samuels

Oct 12, 2005 at 11:57 AM Post #37 of 60
May I know whose is the balanced Supra?

Oct 13, 2005 at 1:03 AM Post #39 of 60
I would just like to let Tyll know that the DVDP has an onscreen setup and the digital outputs were disabled, so that's why we never got it talking to the MicroDAC.

Oct 13, 2005 at 1:45 AM Post #40 of 60
Does anybody have impressions of the modded MPX3 slam? From what I can tell from the pic it looks like a MPX3 Slam with the piltron upgrade and also possibly upgraded power reservoirs? Anybody hear this amp with HDxxx's, or any headphones at all? I would love to hear any impressions of it.

Oct 13, 2005 at 2:21 AM Post #41 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
Mikhail sent it for the meet.

Very nice!
Did you have a chance to audition it?

Oct 13, 2005 at 3:47 AM Post #42 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoFreire
Very nice!
Did you have a chance to audition it?

I only listened to the balanced Qualia on it. It was one of the best experiences I've had with the Qualia, but I still don't like that headphone.

Oct 13, 2005 at 12:08 PM Post #43 of 60
I have been reading all the comments and enjoying all the wonderful pictures. I am so glad everyone had such a good time and such great equipment was available for our enjoyment. I was a little surprised there was not more DIY stuff there. In regards to my DIY, I appreciate the constructive criticism of Ray Samuel and Thrice in regards to my MJ amp and my soldering iron.
biggrin.gif
Ray I want you to know that I threw that RS soldering iron in the trash after trying to clean it and now I'm looking to invest in a much better one. I borrowed a Weller from a friend, cleaned the tip well, and redid all the wires you told me to. I still have that hum which I'm working on but my solder joints look great!
eggosmile.gif

Oct 13, 2005 at 7:26 PM Post #44 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdon
I have been reading all the comments and enjoying all the wonderful pictures. I am so glad everyone had such a good time and such great equipment was available for our enjoyment. I was a little surprised there was not more DIY stuff there. In regards to my DIY, I appreciate the constructive criticism of Ray Samuel and Thrice in regards to my MJ amp and my soldering iron.
biggrin.gif
Ray I want you to know that I threw that RS soldering iron in the trash after trying to clean it and now I'm looking to invest in a much better one. I borrowed a Weller from a friend, cleaned the tip well, and redid all the wires you told me to. I still have that hum which I'm working on but my solder joints look great!
eggosmile.gif

mrdon...
Is that boat motor noise gone now after soldering the two grounds correctly & well?
The hum that you are talking about is due to the AC voltage feeding very sensative input gain tube's filement, as we talked, if you get to use the regulated DC voltage of 6.3VDC to each input tube or 12.6 VDC to have them wired in series, this will stop all the hum caused by the AC 60 cycle voltage. Make sure to connect the ground of your DC filement voltage to that of the main ground. You also might want to add another resistor in series to the high voltage in value of 200-300 ohms at 5 watts then folowed by a filter cap of 330-470 MF at 400-450 volts, this network will crop the ripple in the high voltage, it will lower your voltage by few volts, but the outcome is clean filtered DC voltage.
Good luck.
Ray Samuels

Oct 13, 2005 at 11:18 PM Post #45 of 60
Canman, I got around to cleaning up the Lafayette stuff today.

The amp seems to run fine. It was dusty as hell inside, the "baked-in" kind of dust. I was puzzling over it until I found that pushing down very hard with my finger while dragging it around created a bunch of friction and was enough to pull out the dust. I used a tooth brush for the small areas. I polished the tubes and replaced the AC cord with a spare one. I made sure that all the caps were not leaking. I plugged it in and turned it on. It lit up fine, didn't test it out yet though.

The tuner was another story...
It was covered in dust. It looked like someone covered it with grey carpet. Using a fan and a toothbrush I got rid of all the dust, then I polished the tubes. By the looks of it, the previous owner never put the cover on it, because the metal was in pretty bad condition, that kind of green rainbow swirl that some old metal things have. The tuning string went through all the pulleys, but the knob didn't work 100%. It tuned down ok, but when trying to tune up the string slipped on the shaft of the knob. The faceplate is bent out a little bit at the top. All the caps looked fine. I plugged it (because the power cord looked ok) and turned it on. To my surprise, the chassis was connected somewhere to electricity. I would guess it was about 10VAC, but that could be off, my hand isn't nearly as precise as a multimeter. I believe it was AC because the intensity of it seemed to vary, like when I stuck my hand in a light bulb socket a few years ago. I also think that it is about 10v, because I could feel it in my fingers and somewhat in my hand, but by the time it got to my arm there was nothing left, whereas when I touched the light bulb socket it was over my entire arm. I touched it on the transformers between the tubes, the selector knob, the tuning knob, and the side of the chasis, so it has to be the chasis.

So, Brian, expect a letter from my lawyer about the irreversible damage your faulty equipment has caused me... ...Just kidding
tongue.gif

I'm going to pop it open and see if I can find any bare wires touching the chasis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back