SE pennsylvania meet impressions
Oct 10, 2005 at 3:23 AM Post #17 of 60
Looks like a bass bumping good time! I was depressed all weekend in CT that there was a meet in my back yard and I couldn't attend...I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles. Man I wanted to hear the K1000's...and spend some more jolly time with the SA5000's (beloved)! Does anyone else feel that the SA5000 fits perfectly between the Senns and the Grado's?

Oct 10, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #18 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin
(Thrice, that mohawk belonged to Xilron- who brought Jack[the chainsneezer])

Xilron wishes it was his.Hahaha. It was me, Xilrons bro.
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 10, 2005 at 11:21 AM Post #19 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
There was a good showing from an MPX3 Slam w/ Plitron transformer that sounded really nice with the R10, the HE-90 from the Stax 007t, L3000/Raptor, and the Beyer DT-770 out of an ASL MG Head Mk3.

I don't know how I missed this meet! "darn" I was thinking of sending my MPX3 back to Singlepower for the 5687 tubes I would have loved to have heard one first. What is the Plitron transformer?

Oct 10, 2005 at 4:16 PM Post #20 of 60
Hornet
The Hornet amplifier really impressed me. I was lucky enough to be able to do a direct comparison with my Headroom Micro w/ Desktop module and SR-71 in the comfort of my own home after the meet. The Headroom Micro and Hornet are both really good amps in their own right. The tonal balance is similar using the Senn HD-600, though the bass is a bit more present on the Headroom. However, on close comparison, the Hornet's sound is more pure and defined, while maintaining excellent dynamics. In particular, images were better defined on the Hornet. I was listening to a cd that featured a lead acoustic guitar front and center. The Hornet offers a clearer window to focus on picking patterns and surrounding instruments. The Headroom amp's image was somewhat diffused in comparison and the guitar picking was harder to pinpoint.

The Hornet sounds richer and more dynamic than the SR-71 at the expense of slight loss of detail. While the SR-71 is more detailed and expansive, it sounds a bit cooler in comparison. The Hornet is more fun to listen to and my preference for the Sennheiser by a good margin. While I prefer the Headroom over the SR-71 for the Sennheiser due to tonality and dynamics, I preferred the Hornet over all of them.

HD-600
My first high end headphone was the HD-600. I forgot how good it was. When I got the HD-650 after selling the HD-600, I thought it was better because it was smoother in the high end.

Even though cymbals can sound a little sharp with the HD-600, it sounds much more open and spacious than the 650. The 650 sounds muffled in comparison due to the excessive lower bass.

I just bought a used HD-600 in the FS forum. Looking to receiving it soon
600smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
Not to toot or anything...but I have been saying for a year, that the 600's are a much better sounding can, than the 650's.

Maybe I'll listen next time. Maybe Not
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by markmaxx
I don't know how I missed this meet! "darn" I was thinking of sending my MPX3 back to Singlepower for the 5687 tubes I would have loved to have heard one first. What is the Plitron transformer?

The Plitron is an expensive toroidal transformer that Mikhail likes to use on his higher end amps. I think it is a $300 option on the MPX3 and standard on the Supra. Don't trust me on that though. You should have joined us. There was also a balanced Supra on hand driving a Qualia and an RS-1.

Oct 11, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #24 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gord SW Ont
Was the Eastsound E5 present and, if so, any comments wrt the other CD players there? Thx.

Looks like it was:

DSC01120.jpg

Oct 11, 2005 at 12:59 AM Post #25 of 60
I just want to say as you can CLEARLY see the coolest piece of equipment brought was Hirsch's EarMax PRO AMP STAND. Orpheus sporpheus....the amp stand was killer...

Nice pics Ray!
rs1smile.gif

Trogdor

Oct 11, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #27 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
blink.gif

I almost fell out of my chair looking at Tyll...

I like the sound of Ray's amps. I was just rying to dial in a little crossfeed.
eggosmile.gif

Oct 11, 2005 at 2:59 AM Post #28 of 60
The only reaction I have to report on the E5, was Ray's. He was checking on the L3k's out of my system, when he suddenly looked quizzical and asked what player I was using. He then went and got his reference 600's/music and listened some more. His comments were "That's some player", "How much was it?", "Those chinese are going to put us all out of business!"
eek.gif

Oct 11, 2005 at 6:51 AM Post #29 of 60
That Earmax Stand kicks butt! That and the vintage siverface (pioneer?) receiver caught my eye. How did that receiver sound?

Oct 11, 2005 at 11:37 AM Post #30 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
That Earmax Stand kicks butt! That and the vintage siverface (pioneer?) receiver caught my eye. How did that receiver sound?

"Vintage" - A friendly way of saying "old junk $5 yard sale"

It handles the SR-60s pretty well, but it had trouble with cans like the K340. I didn't try the HD600s on it, but I assume they would also be hard to drive. I bet it would do a pretty good job on K1000s out of the speaker outputs. I use it more for a speaker amp, at which it does a pretty good job with my BIC Venturi Formula 2 speakers. The headphone jack is just icing on the cake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back