SDS-XLR First Impressions
Jun 12, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #31 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
No one has the cahones do this to their R10's as of yet.
evil_smiley.gif

It's cajones and Hirsch is my hero, he'll have 'em!
biggrin.gif

Jun 12, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #32 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
It's cajones and Hirsch is my hero, he'll have 'em!
biggrin.gif

No, no, no, it's cojones and I challenge Hirsch to demonstrate he's got some
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 12, 2005 at 4:08 AM Post #33 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by CD44hi
No, no, no, it's cojones and I challenge Hirsch to demonstrate he's got some
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quite right, Edwoods typo got to me!
redface.gif

Jun 12, 2005 at 6:26 AM Post #35 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
my SDS-XLR is heavily upgraded and also has a setting tuned for the Qualia 010 specifically. Hirsch, you really should consider upgrading your amp.
wink.gif
I think they are worth it.

If it's even possible to tune an amp for the Qualia more than this one, I'm going to be in shock when I hear it. This amp and the Qualia locked onto each other immediately. I really have trouble listening to another headphone with this amp after the Qualia. I'm not sure a balanced R10 is the way to go here. This is a detail amp, and the Qualia is a more detailed headphone than the R10. I suspect that the SDS-XLR/Qualia is the real pairing, and that the R10 is not going to improve over this if I convert one to balanced. OTOH, I really do need something that starts with EMM, as bozebuttons has indicated. The Meridian G08 is not a good enough source for this amp, and a top source is the crying need here. The headphone/amp combo is covered.

The single-ended SDS I have has been tuned to the R10, and I may just leave that alone as my R10 rig, with the balanced amp dedicated mostly to the Qualia.

OTOH, a balanced R10 sure would be interesting to hear, wouldn't it? Nahhh...

Jun 12, 2005 at 10:45 AM Post #36 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
The Meridian G08 is not a good enough source for this amp, and a top source is the crying need here. The headphone/amp combo is covered.

Don't you hate when that happens?!
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
OTOH, a balanced R10 sure would be interesting to hear, wouldn't it? Nahhh...

That's the one elusive headphone configuration that none of us lunatics have had the cojones (to continue the earlier theme) to audition.
orphsmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
...so I'll have to find a way to get with Scrith so the dynamite can join the SDS-XLR / balanced reference / blockhead comparison (using balanced Qualia 010 and HD650 for cans). I also have a Blue Hawaii & HE90 so that will also be included.

Alex,
Scrith invited me over to bug you guys - I really don't have much to add equipment-wise, as my rig is an echelon to two below you lads, but I promised to give the Qualia another shot (I've already given her so many opportunities to shine), and your SDS-XLR and Chris' balanced Dynamight (a redundant statement I realize since the Dynamight is a balanced Dynahi so the only type of Dynamight is a balanced one) should allow it the bandwidth it requires. Now is your Accuphase DP-85 up to the challenge?
wink.gif

Jun 12, 2005 at 1:25 PM Post #37 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic
I wont ask for a price....but all this talking about ultra Hi-fi balanced amps are making my wallet pretty nervous....
biggrin.gif

Is it possible to enjoy this sonic bliss at a reasonable level of investment?

Amicalement

Have Mikhail build you a MPX3-XLR.
icon10.gif

Jun 13, 2005 at 12:55 AM Post #39 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
Have Mikhail build you a MPX3-XLR.
icon10.gif

Is that really a possible option?
confused.gif

Jun 13, 2005 at 1:03 AM Post #41 of 72
Genetic>If you get to Ottawa. you can hear my electrostats.

SACD lover>have you got a balanced MPX3?

I am thinking of getting a balanced amp but I would prefer a tube based amp instead of SS.

Jun 13, 2005 at 1:07 AM Post #42 of 72
Wow Hirsch, congrats! From the sounds of things that must be one outstanding system.

Better stage than the R-10s using a Maestro, that is something I would like to hear...

I've never heard a balanced headphone amplifier mind you but I have used fully differentially balanced stereo components for more than a decade. I keep thinking it must be the increased slew rate rather than simply increased power - I mean geez, how much power can a headphone draw?

Anyway, I am sure you are euphoric and I sure am envious!

Jun 13, 2005 at 1:33 AM Post #43 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
If you get to Ottawa. you can hear my electrostats.

I am thinking of getting a balanced amp but I would prefer a tube based amp instead of SS.

A balanced tube amp.....yes...indeed....that's the ticket!

Amicalement

P.S. Thanks for the Ottawa offer but I have some diplomatic «unresolved issues» with your main contact in that region....
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #44 of 72
aty999 & edwood - thanks very much for your response to my questions. Although I now understand what's involved with preparing a headphone for balanced operation, I'm still uncertain what's involved with regard to the CDP. Are the normal CDP RCA L/R outputs still connected to the SDS-XLR? Is there a need to somehow rewire a CDP so that the grounds of the outputs are separated? Does Hirsch's kind of balanced setup require some sort of specially wired CDP; i.e., one wired for balanced operation?

Jun 13, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #45 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
aty999 & edwood - thanks very much for your response to my questions. Although I now understand what's involved with preparing a headphone for balanced operation, I'm still uncertain what's involved with regard to the CDP. Are the normal CDP RCA L/R outputs still connected to the SDS-XLR? Is there a need to somehow rewire a CDP so that the grounds of the outputs are separated? Does Hirsch's kind of balanced setup require some sort of specially wired CDP; i.e., one wired for balanced operation?

A meridian G08 has balanced outputs. So there is no need for modding. This is what Hirsch is using. I believe he has a Wadia 801 and I think that also has balanced outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back