SDS-XLR First Impressions
Jun 11, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #17 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
This amp has the "stock" parts, and would be considered the base model, I think.

IMHO this amp seems to be more an expression of engineering art than an off the shelf product. As such there are no base model Ferraris or entry level Van Goghs. While you can always customise these things, in themselves they are one of a kind. I think this particular XLR is now the Hirsch XLR and each subsequent XLR will be an individual entity embellished by the character of their owners, not an assembly line. (No offence intended in any shape or form, only sheer admiration!)
lambda.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #18 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by kartik
IMHO this amp seems to be more an expression of engineering art than an off the shelf product. As such there are no base model Ferraris or entry level Van Goghs. While you can always customise these things, in themselves they are one of a kind. I think this particular XLR is now the Hirsch XLR and each subsequent XLR will be an individual entity embellished by the character of their owners, not an assembly line. (No offence intended in any shape or form, only sheer admiration!)
lambda.gif

I have to wait sometime for the Rob XLR to arrive
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #19 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by kartik
lambda.gif

LOL. Well put.
tongue.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #20 of 72
Great review. These words very much remind me of what I went through about a week ago, when I tried my new DynaMight (by SFT Audio) with the Qualias and Black Dragon cable. It is just so good, so right, I have given up trying to convince people that their 10-minute demos at meets could not possibly even begin to make them understand what the Qualias truly sound like.

I'll be bringing it over to ayt999's soon for a comparison between the DynaMight and his three monster amps. I am generally pretty skeptical that there is going to be a big difference between these amps, but we'll see.

Jun 11, 2005 at 9:53 PM Post #21 of 72
Hirsch - Are you using regular L/R RCA outputs from the Meridian G08 into the SDS-XLR, or are there other special outputs for connecting to a balanced amp? Also, What's involved in putting balanced connectors to an R10? Is it just a matter of connecting an adapter between the headphone cable connector and the amp? BTW, thanks very much for your response to my previous questions.

Jun 12, 2005 at 1:00 AM Post #24 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
Also, What's involved in putting balanced connectors to an R10? Is it just a matter of connecting an adapter between the headphone cable connector and the amp? BTW, thanks very much for your response to my previous questions.

you need a pair of wires going from the drivers to the connectors, so you cannot simply put an adaptor on a 1/4 inch plug (with three connections) to make it dual mono. the ground conductors on normal headphone cables are connected to each other in the cable / plug, but in a dual mono headphone cable, they have to have independent connections so you would need four connections total going from the drivers to the headphone amp.

the best way to do this is to disassemble the headphones and wire the wires directly to the drivers and make another cable entirely. (or in the case of the HD650, 010, and other headphones that has detachable cables and up to those connectors the headphone is wired in dual mono... a different detachable cable.)

Jun 12, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #25 of 72
a belated congrats on getting yourself an SDS-XLR Hirsch.
biggrin.gif
wanted to answer mikeg's question first for some reason.
tongue.gif

I've moved back home for the moment, and all my stuff is still pretty much packed. hopefully I'll have most of the gear set up for comparisons soon. I've been trying to do a comparison since I got my SDS-XLR a month ago, but with the end of school and finals, along with having to move out of my apartment shortly after that, I didn't have the time. my dynamite isn't built yet (haven't started actually, hopefully will be a summer project that I'll finish in the next few months) so I'll have to find a way to get with Scrith so the dynamite can join the SDS-XLR / balanced reference / blockhead comparison (using balanced Qualia 010 and HD650 for cans). I also have a Blue Hawaii & HE90 so that will also be included.

my SDS-XLR is heavily upgraded and also has a setting tuned for the Qualia 010 specifically. Hirsch, you really should consider upgrading your amp.
wink.gif
I think they are worth it.

Jun 12, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #26 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
Hirsch, you really should consider upgrading your amp.
wink.gif
I think they are worth it.

You also, did you get the water-proofing option yet?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 12, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #27 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
You also, did you get the water-proofing option yet?
very_evil_smiley.gif

for the moment, no... but if I get word that you'll be coming over to "check out" my SDS-XLR, then I'll definitely have that done right away.
wink.gif

Jun 12, 2005 at 2:46 AM Post #29 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
Hirsch - Are you using regular L/R RCA outputs from the Meridian G08 into the SDS-XLR, or are there other special outputs for connecting to a balanced amp? Also, What's involved in putting balanced connectors to an R10? Is it just a matter of connecting an adapter between the headphone cable connector and the amp? BTW, thanks very much for your response to my previous questions.

It involved removing the plug and desoldering the wires. Or just simply cutting the 1/4" plug off. You then can use a DMM to check the continuity between the grounds and each signal wire. You should be able to hear a small sound in each driver when you touch the probes correctly. Label the wires and then use the approriate connector(s) (two XLRs, or one 4 pin ala K1000) and solder into place.

No one has the cahones do this to their R10's as of yet.
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

Jun 12, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #30 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic
Is it possible to enjoy this sonic bliss at a reasonable level of investment?

Yes, it's called a Gilmore Balanced Reference with Black Gates...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back