Scouting for a high-end electrostatic amp
Feb 19, 2008 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Calle

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, it's the friggin noob from Denmark.

It's been some time since my last post here. Well since then I got my Rudistor RPB-010 MKII with a Wavelength Audio Crimson.

They are beginning to break in, especially the dac and my listening has improved and thus I am thinking of going a step further.

I just don't know which amp to go for. I was thinking of either the ES-2 or the Coriolan. Before I go ahead and do anything hasty I would like you guys' opinion. Is there something I am missing? Other amps perhaps? Am I making a mistake with these amps? etc etc...

My max budget for an amp is the price of an ES-2 which I believe is ~20K USD.

Thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 44
The ES-2 was a custom one-off, I'm not sure if Singlepower will make another one, though you can certainly ask. The ES-1 however has been enjoying a nice production run so far, it was recently updated too (mikeymad is an owner of this updated version). Or if you want something similar yet custom, Singlepower will build almost anything, just be prepared to wait a while for it.
wink.gif

There's also currently the HeadAmp Blue Hawaii SE (though all its reserved spots are full and builds are in progress now) for tubes and the new KGSS for solid-state, whenever that comes out (supposed to be later this year). And another option is the Woo Audio GES.

I'm not familiar with the Stax offerings, this is where spritzer and krmathis come in.
tongue.gif

Feb 19, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ES-2 was a custom one-off, I'm not sure if Singlepower will make another one, though you can certainly ask. The ES-1 however has been enjoying a nice production run so far, it was recently updated too. Or if you want something similar yet custom, Singlepower will build almost anything, just be prepared to wait a while for it.
wink.gif

There's also currently the HeadAmp Blue Hawaii SE (though all its reserved spots are full and builds are in progress now) for tubes and the new KGSS for solid-state, whenever that comes out (supposed to be later this year). And another option is the Woo Audio GES.

I'm not familiar with the Stax offerings, this is where spritzer and krmathis come in.
tongue.gif

Was gonna ask for Spritzers help too, but I thought he would've replied even if i didn't.
biggrin.gif

Woo Audio GES, gonna check that one out! Haven't heard of that particular amp from Woohoo.

EDIT: Ok, I know that amp. I was thinking of something in a higher price range.

Feb 19, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #4 of 44
I should probably say that I am opting for a pair of Omega II's. HE90 are hard to come by so (for now) these are the headphones I am on the lookout for.

Feb 19, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #5 of 44
"My max budget for an amp is the price of an ES-2 which I believe is ~20K USD."

For $20K US you can have just about any amp made.

Ray Samuels is going to be making a New Electrostatic amp.

Mitch

Feb 19, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #7 of 44
Spectron,Plinius,MBL,Boulder are good ones for stats. Hard to do any better than those without going over 20K.

Feb 19, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #9 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by blubliss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mikhail will make more ES-2s and the price is slightly more than $20K.

wow! no idea that amp cost that much.

Feb 20, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #12 of 44
Well, I only spent about 20% of your budget (although it's hard to say "only" on a $4K+ headphone amp) on a Rudistor Egmont Signature and it's amazing. I just got it yesterday so I haven't had a huge amount of listening time, but it made an enormous difference in my Omega 2's performance. They went from "clinical" to "grab you by the balls" in an instant... as detailed as you can get with an ear-shaking presence at the same time.

Feb 20, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #13 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcstep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jack Wu (Woo Audio) will make you exactly what you want for $3000-$4000 and you'd have a ton left over for interconnects and a power cord.

yeah. a "maxed" out Woo GES would be a very nice electrostatic amp. not sure what upgrades are available for this amp. i suppose it all depends on what Jack would be willing to do. but a few emails to him would be worth while to find out.

Feb 20, 2008 at 9:34 AM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by blubliss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mikhail will make more ES-2s and the price is slightly more than $20K.

I will let you know how mine sounds when I get it next week, along with the HE90s.

I just spoke to Mikhail and he had good news. It seems that he still making them. But I did not know how much the premium edition costs.
tongue.gif

Any info on it would be a big help compared to other amps you have heard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah. a "maxed" out Woo GES would be a very nice electrostatic amp. not sure what upgrades are available for this amp. i suppose it all depends on what Jack would be willing to do. but a few emails to him would be worth while to find out.

Will email him for some info! I am interested and will be saving a bit of cash. Thanks for info.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back