Scotty, arm the Quantum Disrupters!
Feb 11, 2006 at 7:38 AM Post #16 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
The outrageous name shouldn't prevent people from trying this thing, especially since the small one is 'only' $75. I think the biggest reason I won't try it myself is b/c it's reported to be the most "powerful" RFI/EMI reducer, and I don't need any more powerful such device than Stillpoints ERS paper. Even the ERS paper is too powerful, so that I use 1" small strips spaced away from parts/cables.

As the reviewer points out, the Noise Disruptor made sound worse, too dull in many applications, which is what I experienced with every RFI/EMI device I've used/heard, including ERS paper, Ferrites, Shunyata magic dust stuff (Hydra), Bybees in power conditioners, Z cable Z-sleeves, Shaki stones, VPI brick, Audioprism "quantum" noise-killer stuff, etc, etc.

Why do you hate science?

frown.gif

Feb 11, 2006 at 9:08 AM Post #17 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
Why do you hate science?

frown.gif

???

I hate science, but only b/c I've had to endure years of studying it.

All these fancy audiophile EMI/RFI devices use very colorful, mysterious marketing, but if you get past the hype, the actual materials have been around forever and actually do absorb/dissipate EMI/RFI, perfectly following the laws of physics.

ERS paper is a fine example. It's named "paper," but the fibers are interlaced with conductive material that absorb/dissipate EMI/RFI. If you cut the ERS paper and use exposed sides, it will conduct electricity sideways, causing electrical shorts.

Shunyata used to call their EMI/RFI absorbing compound "fairy dust," but has since given it the name "FeSi-1000." They won't divulge the EXACT makeup of the powder, but I'm sure it's comprised of well-described material that are known to absorb EMI/RFI. Their Hydra power conditioner is nothing more than a fancy box filled with this FeSi powder, with some surge protector thrown in. Oh, yeah, it works, too.

Z cable Z-sleeve is also not much different in concept from the common ferrite chokes. It's a larger version with possibly a different mix of EMI/RFI absorbing material. Yes, it works great to absorb it, but just like with Ferrites, it can overdo it and make cables sound too dull.

Same kind of deal with VPI "brick" (which is not a brick at all) and Shaki Stone, etc, etc.

Feb 11, 2006 at 9:36 AM Post #18 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
At least they didn't price it at $1000 or something, like the homogenizing alligator clips and ultra hi-fi wooden volume pots.

I think the most vitally needed scientific study in audiophilia is a study to determine exactly how much money people will spend on something that is totally useless and still be able to say, "Everyone should try it and decide for themselves." or "I'm going to buy it and trust my ears, not scientific theories."

See ya
Steve

Feb 11, 2006 at 9:38 AM Post #19 of 71
Quote:

The outrageous name shouldn't prevent people from trying this thing, especially since the small one is 'only' $75.

Well, here's a great start on my scientific study!

See ya
Steve

Feb 11, 2006 at 9:49 AM Post #20 of 71
Check out the Can I Beleive My Ears Here? thread in this same forum for a positively brilliant psychological marketing technique!

See ya
Steve

Feb 11, 2006 at 10:06 AM Post #21 of 71
Quote:

All these fancy audiophile EMI/RFI devices use very colorful, mysterious marketing, but if you get past the hype, the actual materials have been around forever and actually do absorb/dissipate EMI/RFI, perfectly following the laws of physics.

That's an interesting explanation, but I thought the Quantum Disrupters work on the quantum level? What you're describing is basic electromagnetism. That's not quantum at all. Why should we go with your explanation about what they're doing over the manufacturer's explanation?

Feb 11, 2006 at 10:07 AM Post #22 of 71
Cutting through the malarkey of the knee jerk amateur science guys I have to ask, as I don't know, is RFI/EMI something that is real? If so can it be a problem? If so how is it remedied?

Quote:

As the reviewer points out, the Noise Disruptor made sound worse, too dull in many applications,

Not having read the review, this seems to indicate an affect. I thought placebo affects were to be positive?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY
As the reviewer points out, "one or two Disrupters are mandatory for tweaking a top system."

I guess most of you are safe, not having top systems.
icon10.gif

Feb 11, 2006 at 10:22 AM Post #23 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
Cutting through the malarkey of the knee jerk amateur science guys I have to ask, as I don't know, is RFI/EMI something that is real? If so can it be a problem?

Certainly.

Quote:

If so how is it remedied?

Either through shielding (preferred) or filtering. In other words, either keeping it out in the first place or getting rid of it once it gets in the signal.

Feb 11, 2006 at 10:26 AM Post #24 of 71
Quote:

That's an interesting explanation, but I thought the Quantum Disrupters work on the quantum level? What you're describing is basic electromagnetism. That's not quantum at all. Why should we go with your explanation about what they're doing over the manufacturer's explanation?

The "quantum" part is just marketing BS, imo. Do as search on the DIY forum using the keyword "quantum", interesting read, really.

Feb 11, 2006 at 10:32 AM Post #25 of 71
Quote:

The "quantum" part is just marketing BS, imo. Do as search on the DIY forum using the keyword "quantum", interesting read, really.

That's kind of disappointing. If what you're saying is true, I would wonder if the manufacturer is being dishonest in other ways. Perhaps the product itself is BS.

Feb 11, 2006 at 11:46 AM Post #27 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Certainly.

Either through shielding (preferred) or filtering. In other words, either keeping it out in the first place or getting rid of it once it gets in the signal.

Thanks fewtch. So that interference cannot be absorbed or affected by an external item?

Quote:

Quote:

That's kind of disappointing. If what you're saying is true, I would wonder if the manufacturer is being dishonest in other ways. Perhaps the product itself is BS.

As the improper use of "Quantum" disqualifies as "BS" any product associated, I've crossed off my list Quatum data storage and Quantum Fishing gear.
icon10.gif

Feb 11, 2006 at 1:39 PM Post #29 of 71
Quote:

Quote:

No way.
eek.gif

As for the EMI issue, the Shakti website does seem to provide documented data on how EMI interferences were reduced: http://www.shakti-innovations.com/emitests.htm

Feb 11, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #30 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by riffer
Hey - isn't this a DBT-Free forum?
biggrin.gif

To Dismiss Based on Tendency or personal Tilt is the most common thing, and permitted. The thing may do nothing, I don't know, but to appear to condemn it without knowing why it cannot work seems unscientific to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back