Scotland Meet 1/3/08 Impressions.
Mar 2, 2008 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

Duggeh

Indeed
Big big thanks and a bucket of kudos to Milkpowder for hosting this meet at his place, and for putting half of us up for the night on his assortment of beds. Thanks dude.

I turned up rather later than I had intended, on account of the fact that I woke up with a stinking hangover in the morning and hid from the world until about 1pm. So this in combination with my GPS not knowing where Milkpowders house is made for a tardiness in my getting there, so that just as I was in, unpacked and plugged in. The K1000 rig was down, packed up and out the door. Sad times for me. Sob.

Still all was not lost, it was really good to see some faces I met at the UK meet again, and a few new chaps too. As fine a group of audio nerds as anyone could ever ask to spend their day with I think. And I use the term nerd only in its most friendly and endearing sense of course.

Like at the UK meet I ended up with my my gear in a seperate room which may or may not have cut down on people playing with it but I hope that people enjoyed themselves with it. It also meant that all of the dynamics were in one room and all of the planar headphones were in the other, which is the sort of segregation that the Stax Mafia calls for in its secret manifesto.

I haven't taken any pictures because my parents are away to Paris this weekend and naturally have taken the digital camera with them but I'm sure that there will be a succession of JPEGs coming anyway.

So in the planar room we had an SR-202, a Lambda Pro, an HE60, and an Omega 2 representing the electrostatic side of things, running from a choice of SRM-212, SRM-006t and SRM-717. Also a TakeT H2 and an Ergo AMT running from the NAD/Pass Labs stack.

I spent most of my listening time in that room with the HE60. It really is a very very good headphone and I preferred it out of the SRM-717 to the SRM-006t it just seemed a bit livelier all around, maybe with a little more grunt at the bottom end too. Didn't do any big comparing of the Lambda Pro and the SR-202, but they sounded, as you might expect, very similar to each other compared to the other options.

The main room was home to the (and lets see if I can remember everything here) 2 HD650s (one with Zu cable), SR-325, SR-80 (ALO woody), Jecklin Floats, K81DJ, Ergo 2, PX100, fake PX100, PK.2, W5000, K44 and the Surrounder.

During the course of the later part of the evening in that room the me that had earlier been explaining that portable audiophilia was not something which interested me for assorted reasons died an unexpected and slightly shocking death when it transpired that the Livewires customs (almost properly) fit my ears.

livewires_shot1_shadow.jpg

Those things were seriously seriously sweet. I've always been objectionable to IEMs because I find them uncomfortable, foamys, triple flange tips of olive tips, all uncomfortable in different ways which makes the sound a moot point. But the customs just vanished and all there was was sweet sweet music. I actually really wanted to just sit back and listen to them for the rest of the night, but that would have been just a bit anti-social.

Definitely the star of the meet for me. I want a pair.

To flip side to the nights loser. Thats got to be the AKG K81DJ. Uncomfortable all around, boomy, massive roll off in the highs, sucked out mids. Suitable for a giggle with Kylie Minogue and a bass boost but made Mike Oldfield sound as wrong and strange and unnatural as I've ever heard. Cannot understand their popularity at all. They also improved 0% out of the iMod setup.

It was nice to hear the HD650 and the Ergo 2 again. Headphones that I've had and said goodbye to. I think though that my time with them confirmed my transition to the planar side. To the one true path. I remember loving the HD650s but they did nothing for me really this time. The Ergo 2 was much more fun, I'd still very much consider buying a third pair of those for situations where a 'stat isn't practical. Lan parties for example. Its also, and I'm sure I've said this before. Just a plain better in every way headphone than its daddy the Float 2.

It also seems that Grados really are a huge hit and miss affair for me. I used to have an HF-1 and never really liked it at all. Then I heard the RS-2 at the UK meet and thought it was fabulous. Last night the SR-325 failed to stimulate me at all. It was okay. Not bad. Just not fabulous either. More of a hit was the ALO modded SR-80. The headband was very nice, the wood cups were extremely pretty and they sounded I have to say pretty stinking good out of the iMod setup and pretty good out of the iPod headphone socket. Where they failed though is that hideous hideous flesh coloured braided ALO recable. Its covered in nylon or whatever at the headphone end which looks fine, then suddenly its this garish selection of small bore tubes that looks like their pumping Irn-Bru through them.

Obviously an unfamiliarity with each aspect of the equipment (woody, recable, iMod, voyager amp) means I couldn't chalk up which bits were the most responsible for the better sound over just sticking things into the top of the iPod very well. What I will say though is that I liked (apart from the Livewires) the Ergo 2 best out of an iPod headphone socket. The troubl is that no-one in their right mind is going to use an Ergo as a portable headphone.

I didn't spend much time with the W5000, but they were much of the sameness as I remember from Manchester. Very very clean, very comfy, absolutely gorgeous, but with that sort of reflective shininess in the upper midrange which isn't always there but when it appears kind of ruins how nice the rest of the sound is.

The fake PX100 drivers were set inside a real PX100 headband and pads, removing their biggest flaws, sonically, they were fairly similar, and if there was a hole in the fake driver housing where the real ones actually have a hole, maybe they'd be more similar still. It's entirely possible that the drivers are the same and that its the shoddy workmanship on the counterfeit housings and headband and pads that's the weakness. Should have done a bit more comparison there.

The Yuin Pk.2 were quite nice, but lacked a sense of weight and presence which any of the bigger headphones, even the PX100 did have. They also seemed to have a certain graininess to their sound at some times which put me off. It's also been too long since I lost my B&O A8s to call a fair comparison between the two.

The spicy Dominoes pizza was good stuff, especially the cold breakfast slice the next day that went smashingly with my remaining last-nights-beer. I'm a high class guy.

I had a hoot though. Cheers guys. Hope you all had/have safe journeys back.

Mar 2, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #2 of 53
Hi guys,

Hope all of you made it safely back home (well Paul and Anthony wouldn't have made it back yet
tongue.gif
). I had a superb time. Thanks to all who came and extra kudos to those who had to put up with the less than ideal sleeping setup.

ELECTROSTATIC:
I was in electrostatic heaven and spent most of my time listening to the HE60 and O2 out of the SRM-006t, 717 and 212. The O2 worked fine out of the 006t but was the most at home when driven by the solid state amps. The 717 has more control over the bass region, but I daresay the Omega2 still sounded a bit veiled compared to the HE60 or even the Lambda Professionals.

The 717 is certainly a better match for the HE60 than the 006t. The imaging is more precise and defined. It has more authority and control, especially evident during complex passages. For me, the 717 is a definite upgrade and the price difference between the two can be justified.

I couldn't quite decide for myself whether the HE60 or the O2 was superior. The HE60 sounds much more direct, bright and dry in the bass. The O2 sounds warmer, mushier and richer. Both are superbly detailed and I think the O2 is more natural sounding. I would love to be able to get a pair of O2 in the future even if I am still stuck with the 006t since it doesn't sound quite as bad out of the 006t as I have been led to believe.

The Egmont was quite nice, although I have to say I didn't listen to it enough to really get to know it. It didn't quite impress me as much as I thought it would. The O2 still sounded a bit flabby to the point where I wasn't quite sure whether it was really that much better than a pair of Lambda Professionals amped by the 006t. Actually, there was this one orchestral track where I preferred the cleaner sound of the Lambda Professionals!

Unfortunately, the Egmont just wouldn't work with my HE60 so I didn't get a chance to try it out on a pair of headphones which I know intimately.

I would just like to say how decent the 212 is. It has a good deal of power and can drive all the electrostats we had to a very satisfactory level. If anything, the sound is just a tad one-dimensional compared to the 006t and 717 but the O2 sounded perfectly acceptable out of what is a very basic and probably underated amplifier.

Of all the four electrostatic headphones which I listened to, I was most impressed with the Lambda Professionals. They are cheap, piss easy to drive and sound amazing. The soundstage is large and spacious, albeit artificial. Everything else about it is amicable.

DYNAMIC
The K1000 amped by a PrimaLuna Prologue One sounded pretty exquisite. The soundstage was very nice in the elephant ear configuration. That said, I found the rig on the whole a bit too bright (DAC1 as source). The brightness coupled with the impact was nearly painful when I put on some aggressive guitar music from the FIM K2HD remaster of Romero's Flamenco recording. Nevertheless, I still really enjoyed listening to the K1000 rig. With better synergy between the components, I'm sure this would be one hell of a rig.

Next up was the Marantz SA-1, WooAudio 4 rig. I listened to the following headphones from this front-end: Cardas-recabled (recent revision) SR325i, ALO-woodied SR-80 with 22G Jena Labs recable, W5000, HD650/Zu-v1. The Marantz SA-1 is built like a tank and it was a joy to look at. The WooAudio 4 also looks amazing. Piotr, you have very good tastes (apart from why the heck do you still have the W5000?!?!)

Overall, the SR325i was just too bright. The Cardas cable didn't really do much in terms of taming the highs
frown.gif
Technically, it didn't sound that much better than the ALO SR-80, which I really liked. The SR-80 has a very easy to accept sound. The tonal balance is much better, but still a little on the bright side. If it was my cash, I would get the ALO SR-80 over the Cardas SR325i. The one major drawback of the ALO SR-80 is that it can get quite congested and doesn't quite have the refinement of the higher-end Grados. The bass could be tighter too. The RS-2 and HF-1 are certainly better headphones overall than either of the modded Grados.

The W5000 wasn't really that bright, at least not as much as it was thin-sounding. I knew that fit was very important so I played around with the pads, pushing the headphones closer to my ears, etc but to no avail. It has good resolution, but there is absolutely no depth to the sound. It was just very disappointing, and that would be an understatement. Nice to look at, but definitely not worth the asking price considering what other headphones you could get which would have a more universal fit and at the same time cost a mere fraction.

The HD650/Zu was one of the highlights of the meet. The very understated looks of the recable hides what is a very well designed and good sounding cable. Compared to the stock HD650 (which was also at the meet), the Zu cabled one sounds more controlled. The veil was largely gone and the highs sparkled again. The biggest difference is actually in the bass. The stock cabled HD650 has little control over the decay of the bass and it smears over the lower midrange. The Zu recable completely fixes this issue and you end up with a much cleaner, better defined bass line. The improvement is certainly bigger and much more noticeable than if I were to take the stock HD650 and amp it with a RSA Hornet M (which I consider extremely poor value).

I had a go on the 5.5G iMod/VCap/Graham Slee Voyager with my custom IEMs. Good, but the bulk and minimal increase in listening enjoyment is not worth, not so much the money, but the extra hassle of having to lug it around.

I regret to say I didn't have time to listen to the Pass Aleph M, TakeT H2 or the considerable Precide headphones much. I did have a quick go with the Ergos and thought they were superb. They definitely rival the HD650 and have a very high-end sound. The highs are exquisitely rendered and there's a good deal of well controlled bass too.

Lastly, I was pleasantly surprised by the PK2, which to me sounds better than any Sony or Sennheiser earbud I've ever heard/owned. The bass is tight, and the overall sound is very detailed and natural-sounding. Very nice indeed.

Enuf' talking. Time for some really rubbish pictures
biggrin.gif
I'm hoping you took some better pictures Paul!
meet1fy8.jpg

meet2of1.jpg

meet3ga5.jpg

meet4mu2.jpg

meet5gu8.jpg

meet6hq4.jpg

meetta9.jpg

Mar 2, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #3 of 53
Hello all. Just checking in to say we made it back alright. I'm far too tired to form proper sentences so I'll post some photos and impressions tomorrow. Thanks for putting together a great meet.

Mar 2, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #4 of 53
Looks like a great meet you had there! Did you notice any upper midrange/lower treble hardness with the Lambda Pro's? That's what happens to the SR-Lambda when the damping is removed and it is something I have yet to try for myself.

Btw. Kudos for sticking to the secret manifesto!
wink.gif

Mar 2, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #5 of 53
I didn't notice any Spritzer, but I didn't do a large amount of listening with them and the music I had playing wouldn't call much attention to such an artefact. What I did notice was the difference in the Lambda pads compared to the SR-202. They seemed slightly shallower with the behind the earlobe bump more smoothly sloped. Might simply be because they're older though.

Theres a part of me right now eyeing my Pass Labs, knowing that its sale gets me a set of customs. Got to fight the urge until new gear itching calms down a bit.
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #6 of 53
Man, that looked and sounded like a great meet.

Mar 3, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #7 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't notice any Spritzer, but I didn't do a large amount of listening with them and the music I had playing wouldn't call much attention to such an artefact. What I did notice was the difference in the Lambda pads compared to the SR-202. They seemed slightly shallower with the behind the earlobe bump more smoothly sloped. Might simply be because they're older though.

AFAIK the pads on that Lambda Pro are brand new SR-202 pads but Stax could have changed them. They did do that to the SR-Ω pads as the newer ones are thicker then my NOS ones.

Mar 3, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #8 of 53
Great to see you all had a great meet - good range of headphones, good amount of time to spend with them (except for Duggeh's self imposed time limitations
rolleyes.gif
).

Quote:

During the course of the later part of the evening in that room the me that had earlier been explaining that portable audiophilia was not something which interested me for assorted reasons died an unexpected and slightly shocking death when it transpired that the Livewires customs (almost properly) fit my ears.

livewires_shot1_shadow.jpg

Those things were seriously seriously sweet. I've always been objectionable to IEMs because I find them uncomfortable, foamys, triple flange tips of olive tips, all uncomfortable in different ways which makes the sound a moot point. But the customs just vanished and all there was was sweet sweet music. I actually really wanted to just sit back and listen to them for the rest of the night, but that would have been just a bit anti-social.

Definitely the star of the meet for me. I want a pair.

Good to hear that, Duggeh. I think they're the affordable IEM for stat (planar) lovers. They're very neutral and deliver what they are fed. Realise that, as a result, you'll find yourself looking for excellent portable sources and amps to give them what you can (recognising that no portable will deliver what your home system can
wink.gif
). But, yeah, they make portable situations very sweet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ELECTROSTATIC:
The O2 worked fine out of the 006t but was the most at home when driven by the solid state amps. The 717 has more control over the bass region, but I daresay the Omega2 still sounded a bit veiled compared to the HE60 or even the Lambda Professionals.

Supports what spritzer is always telling us - O2 needs something to drive them to their potential; anything less will show up weaknesses (in the overall setup, not necessarilly the O2s). As you know, I share your HE60 enjoyment and am yet to hear an O2 attract me away from that. But I trust spritzer's judgement on this; your posting tends to confirm that assessment.

Quote:

The 717 is certainly a better match for the HE60 than the 006t. The imaging is more precise and defined. It has more authority and control, especially evident during complex passages. For me, the 717 is a definite upgrade and the price difference between the two can be justified.

The HE60 also responds well to better amplification. I don't think it's as good a match for a well powered SS amp as it is for a well powered tube amp. I'm sure the Koss ESP950 would impress you from a 717 (better bass response generally, even with the lower bias than what it wants - I can only imagine how it'd shine with the 620volt bias recently documented in the US meet).

Quote:

I couldn't quite decide for myself whether the HE60 or the O2 was superior. The HE60 sounds much more direct, bright and dry in the bass. The O2 sounds warmer, mushier and richer. Both are superbly detailed and I think the O2 is more natural sounding. I would love to be able to get a pair of O2 in the future even if I am still stuck with the 006t since it doesn't sound quite as bad out of the 006t as I have been led to believe.

Yeah, I can believe the 006t, like the SRM-T1, delivers that sort of sound. I can't speak for the O2 but there's more that can come form the HE60 with a well powered tube amp.

Quote:

I would just like to say how decent the 212 is. It has a good deal of power and can drive all the electrostats we had to a very satisfactory level. If anything, the sound is just a tad one-dimensional compared to the 006t and 717 but the O2 sounded perfectly acceptable out of what is a very basic and probably underated amplifier.

Big smile at that comment. I remember being more than pleasantly surprised in the same way when I first compared my SRD-XPro to my SRM-T1. Definitely a difference, but not so dramatic as might be expected and, like your comments on the 212, quite a suitable amp to use.

It's when I get to these 'good base' amps that I consider equipment synergy (different ICs, etc) to maximise what you get as the overall balance to your headphones.

Quote:

Of all the four electrostatic headphones which I listened to, I was most impressed with the Lambda Professionals. They are cheap, piss easy to drive and sound amazing. The soundstage is large and spacious, albeit artificial. Everything else about it is amicable.

You should try some Sigmas sometime then
wink.gif

Mar 3, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #9 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great to see you all had a great meet - good range of headphones, good amount of time to spend with them (except for Duggeh's self imposed time limitations
rolleyes.gif
).

I do many things in the service of the greater good ;D

Quote:

Good to hear that, Duggeh. I think they're the affordable IEM for stat (planar) lovers. They're very neutral and deliver what they are fed. Realise that, as a result, you'll find yourself looking for excellent portable sources and amps to give them what you can (recognising that no portable will deliver what your home system can
wink.gif
). But, yeah, they make portable situations very sweet.
smily_headphones1.gif

They really were great, there was this sense of speed and neutrality about them which really really made me smile, the trouble was that every time I smiled I had to re-seat them in my ears, and I was smiling a lot. To Mike Oldfield to Basshunter, to Kylie, to Crash Test Dummies. I got more grins out of them than anything else I tried. Really a revelation because the next best IEM I've tried was the the E500 and those did nothing for me at all.

Quote:

It's when I get to these 'good base' amps that I consider equipment synergy (different ICs, etc) to maximise what you get as the overall balance to your headphones.

I've got the Ergo Amp 2 to try yet as a base amp. Then I'll start playing with interconnects.

Looking forward to our long-distance trekking, London head-fiers getting their first proper nights sleep in days over with and chiming in.

Mar 3, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #10 of 53
Quote:

...Next up was the Marantz SA-1, WooAudio 4 rig. I listened to the following headphones from this front-end: Cardas-recabled (recent revision) SR325i, ALO-woodied SR-80 with 22G Jena Labs recable, W5000, HD650/Zu-v1. The Marantz SA-1 is built like a tank and it was a joy to look at. The WooAudio 4 also looks amazing. Piotr, you have very good tastes (apart from why the heck do you still have the W5000?!?!

Do you really not like the W5000 at all dude? I have to say that I think its the best closed headphone I've heard. Its not perfect sure, but at Manchester I liked it more than the L3000.

It's also so very very very pretty.

Mar 3, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #11 of 53
Quote:

Do you really not like the W5000 at all dude? I have to say that I think its the best closed headphone I've heard. Its not perfect sure, but at Manchester I liked it more than the L3000.

It's also so very very very pretty.

Very pretty, but it just didn't do anything for me. I haven't heard many closed headphones but I guess it is the second best based on technical merit. I would take the L3000 over it in a heartbeat
biggrin.gif

Quote:

You should try some Sigmas sometime then
wink.gif

Darn it, I will, after I dig myself out of the (empty!) money hole I'm in. I'll reply to the rest of your post soon... when I'm in the comfort of my own home...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back