Scotland Meet 1/3/08 Impressions.
Mar 5, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #31 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd had more gin than was healthy the previous night, hence the stinking hangover and alte arrival. That's why I stuck to the beer. The cold leftover pizza and last nights open beer was an awesome breakfast though, especially followed up with the ready made pasta and Mars bar egg. A weekend of aural and oral decadence
biggrin.gif

That explains it! Two gin-nights in a row is not always a pleasure.
Great to see that more members were able to listen to the electrostatic 'phones. News members in Team Stax are always welcome..
wink.gif

Take care!

Mar 5, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #32 of 53
I've been to a meet and I've bought something just after. I hope this isn't going to become a recurring theme. I gave up on getting a Zu cable so I've opted for one of Alex's V3 balanced cables.

I found the DAC1 jumpers that Jonathan was talking about. They're set at the factory for -20dB, which explains why the 650s were so quiet. I'll run the 650s off the DAC1's XLR outputs until I can get a proper balanced amp or a cheap single-ended adaptor.

Mar 5, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #33 of 53
Hi all !!!

That was a great meet and I really enjoyed it. Time passed so quickly that I even forgot to try some combinations - I was especialy courious about marantz - srm-717 - omega2/HE60 but that was before meet
biggrin.gif
during I just totally forgot about it
biggrin.gif
- as I already posted elswere I loved HD650/Zu ( they are in another world compared with stock ) - one of the best soundstages ever but bass and treble were still off for me ( lack of definition in them - especialy I missed detail in bass in compare with w5000 )

when it comes to egmont/omega2 - heavily underpowered, rolled of treble but relaxed tone and quite good soundstage for headphone - few classes below srm-717/omega2

K1000/prima luna - that was total surprise - incredibly full sounding , best voices ever, but way to tight for me and way to much treble ( gave me headache ) - they are just not for me

Mar 6, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #34 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by SenjStevo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heres something to tempt you...hehe...no wait i'm tempting myself too!
Stax electrostatic earspeaker SRS-2050 Mk II on eBay, also Corded, Headphones, Accessories, Consumer Electronics (end time 05-Mar-08 22:00:00 GMT)

Anyone here win it?

Quote:

What about the SR-Lambda Pro's sound stage? I think i remember you saying it was a bit artificial? These were dead comfortable for me too, but your the best judge for extended listening sessions. I would really like to listen to your electrostatics again in the future, after i've fully immersed myself with the Ergos sound, and actually compare them. I curious to see how much of a difference there is to my ears, if it's subtle, a totally different listening experience.

The SR-Lambda Pro sound laid back, but in actual fact, the sound stage isn't really as big as it sounds.

You're welcome to stop by at anytime!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've given up on finding a balanced Zu Mobius, their UK distributor doesn't reply to any emails. I'm speaking with Alex at the moment about a balanced APS V3 which I'm sure is equally good.

Some say the APS V3 is even better than the Zu Mobius v1 if that's any consolation.
wink.gif
I don't think any comparisons with the Zu V2 have been made.

The balanced APS V3 w/ Furutech XLRs is very expensive though (even more so if you opt for the cotton multifilament sheath + import duties)... Have you considered the SAA Equinox? Stone Audio don't normally carry the balanced versions, but I'm sure they could special order one for you and it'll be around 400USD altogether (total guess).
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd had more gin than was healthy the previous night, hence the stinking hangover and alte arrival. That's why I stuck to the beer. The cold leftover pizza and last nights open beer was an awesome breakfast though, especially followed up with the ready made pasta and Mars bar egg. A weekend of aural and oral decadence
biggrin.gif

How sensible of you! I usually have a gin and tonic at night. It's very relaxing
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That explains it! Two gin-nights in a row is not always a pleasure.
Great to see that more members were able to listen to the electrostatic 'phones. News members in Team Stax are always welcome..
wink.gif

Take care!

We're secretly brain washing them...
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been to a meet and I've bought something just after. I hope this isn't going to become a recurring theme. I gave up on getting a Zu cable so I've opted for one of Alex's V3 balanced cables.

I found the DAC1 jumpers that Jonathan was talking about. They're set at the factory for -20dB, which explains why the 650s were so quiet. I'll run the 650s off the DAC1's XLR outputs until I can get a proper balanced amp or a cheap single-ended adaptor.

I'm glad you managed to find the jumpers. -20dB is a heck of a lot of attenuation!

Quote:

Originally Posted by piotr z /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all !!!

That was a great meet and I really enjoyed it. Time passed so quickly that I even forgot to try some combinations - I was especialy courious about marantz - srm-717 - omega2/HE60 but that was before meet
biggrin.gif
during I just totally forgot about it
biggrin.gif
- as I already posted elswere I loved HD650/Zu ( they are in another world compared with stock ) - one of the best soundstages ever but bass and treble were still off for me ( lack of definition in them - especialy I missed detail in bass in compare with w5000 )

Oh yeah! That would've been very interesting!

I agree with your observation about the HD650/Zu lack of detail in the bass. The O2/717 is really impressive in this respect.
Quote:

when it comes to egmont/omega2 - heavily underpowered, rolled of treble but relaxed tone and quite good soundstage for headphone - few classes below srm-717/omega2

I can't really say the Egmont/O2 combo was poor sounding. From whatever little listening time I got, it didn't quite stand out as a major upgrade from the 717. I didn't notice the treble roll-off, but compared to the 006t, the Egmont has much more energy in the upper-midrange region but there is still insufficient control over the upper bass, lower midrange regions. Even the Lambda Pro/006t sounded clearer and less mushy in that frequency range. Super2003 (Richard) upgraded to the Egmont from a 007t and he said that both the HE60 and O2 benefited hugely from the upgrade. I'm going to take his word for it and remain largely enthusiastic about the Egmont.

Quote:

K1000/prima luna - that was total surprise - incredibly full sounding , best voices ever, but way to tight for me and way to much treble ( gave me headache ) - they are just not for me

I also found the treble emphasis to be a bit much especially when we were playing that horrible K2HD Flamenco disk (and I come from the HE60)!! That said, I still liked them a lot.

Mar 6, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #35 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also found the treble emphasis to be a bit much especially when we were playing that horrible K2HD Flamenco disk (and I come from the HE60)!! That said, I still liked them a lot.

Nice meet!

But what the heck were you guys doing using the stock K1000 pigtail cable??!! With it, the K1000 treble becomes less smooth and overall weight to sound decreases IME.

Did anyone try the HE60 off the Egmont?

Mar 6, 2008 at 10:37 AM Post #36 of 53
By the time I arrived with a decent pigtail cable the K1000 was being packed up, so no could do on a test comparison there sadly. I was really looking forward to comparing the AMT and the K1K out of the Pass Labs too.

Mar 7, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #37 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice meet!

But what the heck were you guys doing using the stock K1000 pigtail cable??!! With it, the K1000 treble becomes less smooth and overall weight to sound decreases IME.

Did anyone try the HE60 off the Egmont?

My HE60 didn't work with the Egmont. The left driver sounded like it was flapping around/arcing so I didn't leave it plugged in for long. Any ideas why? I suggested that a tube was nearing the end of its life, but super2003 said he used the same tubes with his own HE60 and it works fine...

Mar 7, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #38 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My HE60 didn't work with the Egmont. The left driver sounded like it was flapping around/arcing so I didn't leave it plugged in for long. Any ideas why? I suggested that a tube was nearing the end of its life, but super2003 said he used the same tubes with his own HE60 and it works fine...

It's tough to tell from that but it could be some bias issue or dust accumulating on the driver. I don't know what bleed resistor Rudi uses but if it is rather low then the phones will start to misbehave. Did you try to unplug the phones, discharge them and then plug them in again?

Mar 7, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #39 of 53
I did think it was a problem with the HE60 itself, but it worked flawlessly with the Stax energisers (and still is)... I'll open the stators when I find the time.

Mar 8, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #40 of 53
Nice looking Marantz SA-1.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2008 at 8:51 AM Post #41 of 53
Nice read and images! Thanks for sharing!

Mar 8, 2008 at 9:49 AM Post #43 of 53
Sennheiser Surrounders. (Guess who brought them
wink.gif
) I actually quite enjoyed listening to them! The bass reflex ports act like fans whenever there's the slightest amount of bass in the music. Overall sound quality is very decent. I really don't see the point of it though...

Mar 8, 2008 at 10:28 AM Post #44 of 53
Yeah, those bass ports really do kick out some air. We had them set up with 4.0 sound from dvd player, I don't think we had enough/the right cables for 5.1. Even so, the effect is quite spooky!

Sure, it's the unwanted child of a 650 and a speaker rig, but it's irresistibly cool!

Mar 9, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #45 of 53
Hi !!!

I've got a question if You don't mind
smily_headphones1.gif
- I'm wondering if anybody noticed any flaws in marantz - mit - woo chain ???? - was it much different from manchester meet ???? - and yes I know that in manchester I had mhzs hooked up
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back