Scotch
Apr 8, 2007 at 11:53 AM Post #466 of 653
I just got into Scotch myself two weeks ago thanks to these alcohol threads on here, and have already managed to pick up 6 bottles of Scotch. The first bottle kinda broke the ice on how much these things cost...was in shock at first over how much it was, but kinda numb to it now.
tongue.gif
So far I have:

Johnnie Walker Black
Johnnie Walker Blue (small bottle only!!!)
Balvenie 15
Macallan 12 triangle
Glenmorangie 10
Lagavulin 16

I purposely tried to hit ones that Tyson liked (THANK YOU for the awesome comprehensive list BTW) that my local store actually carried.

I'm not experienced to go into detail yet on flavors, but so far the JW Black is a great bang for the buck...surprisingly complex in flavor for its low price. Also tried the Chevas Regal 12 and it was rather flat compared to the JW Black. If I need Scotch that I can drink without thinking about the price tag, JW Black is definitely what I'm gonna go with.

The Balvenie 15 was actually my first Scotch, recommended to me by the shop owner. There's a really interesting story to go with this...but I basically walked in with the intent to buy JW Black as a Scotch starter and ended up walking out with this. It's interesting in that it's both sweet and also has a sharp attack in flavor. Not bad, but a little overpriced I think. It's like a mix of the Macallan 12 with the Glenmorangie 10, and I would probably now buy a bottle of Macallan 12 before this.

The Glenmorangie 10 was a little underwhelming, primarily has a really sharp initial attack but doesn't seem very complicated in flavor.

Lagavulin 16 certainly lives up to its reputation, huge amounts of peat with a very strong aftertaste that goes on well after you're done with it. I can definitely see how you either like it or hate it. I think for me it's more a "I don't mind it" than a "I like it".

The Macallan 12 triangle is probably the best bang for the buck out of all these to me, it's on the sweeter side, very smooth on the tongue with no harsh bites, and has nice layers of flavors. One of the expensive ones I'd consider buying again.

The JW Blue I don't even know where to begin with as it's so complex in flavors, it's really expensive but also REALLY FREAKING GOOD!!! The only way I was even able to try this though was by buying the small bottle of it, a large bottle runs for $250+.
eek.gif

The liquor shop owner also showed off to me his bottle of Macallan 30...$899.
blink.gif

Apr 8, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #467 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertigo-1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The JW Blue I don't even know where to begin with as it's so complex in flavors, it's really expensive but also REALLY FREAKING GOOD!!! The only way I was even able to try this though was by buying the small bottle of it, a large bottle runs for $250+.
eek.gif

This, along with a snifter of 100 yr old Grand Marnier, is the best I've ever sampled. VERY smooth, and brimming with complex flavors...as you said, it's sooooo good!!

My father in law got a bottle as a retirement gift...good stuff. He also received some pre-Castro Cubans along with...though he's not offered me one of THOSE yet.
frown.gif

Apr 8, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #468 of 653
Heh Heh; welcome to Scotch-Fi, Vertigo-1, and sorry about your wallet!

Apr 18, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #469 of 653
Tyson...I've thus far agreed with you on every review save this one: Balvenie 15...I'm finding it quite nice.

I sense it's lack of complexity and perhaps that is the source of disaproval. In fairness I've only had a glass, but I am currently looking forward to the second! Hope you're feeling well and still finding this thread the best on Head-Fi....

Chad

Apr 28, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #470 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by jumping jupiters /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tyson...I've thus far agreed with you on every review save this one: Balvenie 15...I'm finding it quite nice.

I sense it's lack of complexity and perhaps that is the source of disaproval. In fairness I've only had a glass, but I am currently looking forward to the second! Hope you're feeling well and still finding this thread the best on Head-Fi....

Chad

Well the 15 is a single barrel non-vatted scotch, which means it can be quite variable in character. Most of the dram's I've had were not particularly good, but the last one I had at my local pub was very good indeed. The "hotness" I normally associate with this distillery was replaced with a firm honeyed character that I found quite delicious.

Apr 28, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #471 of 653
can anyone suggest me any good scotch for around-under $150?

Plus, whats a good temperature to keep these at?

Apr 28, 2007 at 8:54 AM Post #472 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ampl1tude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can anyone suggest me any good scotch for around-under $150?

Plus, whats a good temperature to keep these at?

It depends on what you are looking for in a scotch. There is a huge range of flavors ranging from very mild almost firey to extremely medicinal and smoky. My suggestion if you aren't sure is to get two nice bottles that represent two different ends of the spectrum.

With that I would go Talisker 18 ($80) or Talisker 10 ($50) and Macallan 18 ($80?) or Macallan 12 ($50). Other choices are Lagavulin 16, Laphroaig 10, Glenlivet 18, Springbank, The Belvenie, etc...

Average room temperature should be fine (65-75 F) for storage.

Apr 28, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #473 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He also received some pre-Castro Cubans along with...though he's not offered me one of THOSE yet.
frown.gif

You'd think the tobacco would have decomposed decades ago.

May 14, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #474 of 653
So Glenfiddich 12 is really that bad ?

I ask because I recently stocked up on booze thanks to duty free, however the range was limited, I already have plenty of jw black at home, red is a little disgusting to me, blue was too expensive and gold even was pushing it. So what was left was chivas 12, dewars or the fiddich 12, which I went with as I want to try something other than a blend.

Now you guys have me considering not cracking it and giving it away as a gift.

May 14, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #475 of 653
Once a bottle has been opened what is the longest it should sit before being completely consumed?

I like to have a drink maybe once every 2 weeks or so. I'm slowly working my way through my Dalwhinnie 15 which is only a few months old, but if I were to invest in something like a JW Blue etc...could it keep for years once opened?

May 14, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #476 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once a bottle has been opened what is the longest it should sit before being completely consumed?

I like to have a drink maybe once every 2 weeks or so. I'm slowly working my way through my Dalwhinnie 15 which is only a few months old, but if I were to invest in something like a JW Blue etc...could it keep for years once opened?

A open bottle of single malt shouldn't go bad as long as you don't expose it to ultra violet light and keep the cap screwed on tight. I have a open bottle of Oban 14 that's half done which I had opened a little over a year ago and it's still tastes and smell fine.

May 15, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #477 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by splaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So Glenfiddich 12 is really that bad ?

I ask because I recently stocked up on booze thanks to duty free, however the range was limited, I already have plenty of jw black at home, red is a little disgusting to me, blue was too expensive and gold even was pushing it. So what was left was chivas 12, dewars or the fiddich 12, which I went with as I want to try something other than a blend.

Now you guys have me considering not cracking it and giving it away as a gift.

IMO, 'fiddich beats out your other choices (although the JW Gold is good, too).

May 15, 2007 at 8:46 AM Post #478 of 653
Well even if it isn't that good I've had long look at most of what you've reviewed and may pick up some of your cheaper recommendations, if I can find them.
rolleyes.gif

May 15, 2007 at 9:36 AM Post #479 of 653
I didn't like Glenfiddich 12 too much. The guy at the store recommended it to me ... Some of my non-scotch initiated friends think its OK, but it just doesn't have enough character for me. Even for a beginner's scotch, i'd much rather prefer a Glenlivet 12 which should be readily available and low cost.

May 15, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #480 of 653
Well that's a bit of a relief, on rereading what Tyson thought and some other reviews I've looked at most people describe it as boring or uninteresting and while not horrible, nothing out of the ordinary either.

Just I could've sworn there were a few remarks here and there that made it sounds as if it was repulsive.

Anyway on to other matters, buying better scotch.
biggrin.gif

In fitting in with my budget, recomendations here and what's easily available I have narrowed down 2 and possibly a 3rd.

Laphroaig 10
Glenmorangie 10

So are either of those a good choice for a beginner not wanting to splash out and just getting into single malts ?

The 'fiddich can be a reference point I guess.
biggrin.gif

Also in regard to the 3rd one I spoke of, it seems that the Macallan 12 is only available in the "Fine Oak" version here. Now on reading it your impressions are of the sherry oak one I'm gathering ? Has anyone compared them ?

From what I've read, the "Fine Oak" is aged in both sherry and bourbon barrels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back