Scotch: the best audio tweak of them all
Sep 14, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #2 of 19

Quote:
Has anyone else found that their enjoyment of hi-fi increases dramatically when drinking?

Scotch in particular... a fine single malt + headphones = bliss.

Here's my take:

Gin: Better wear something that can be cleaned easily. Female vocals sound warmer
Bourbon: Ok, the lights do look brighter and funner to stare at. Everything sounds odd
Brandy: Hard to keep my headphones on my head. Sounds more like christmas time to me.
Scotch: no comment, haven't tried it
Wine: Volume turns up too much. Bass get's distorted
Beer: The empty cans rattle too much, distorts speakers sound. Headphones are alright

Sep 14, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #3 of 19
Placebo is real.

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #4 of 19
Personally I love scotch and it is one of the best drinks to relax to, especially in cold weather with no ice but any time of year is fine. I drink it the old fashioned way. Poured in a short glass (never in a shot glass) and sipped. You'll notice this in some of the old Hollywood black and white movies like when the main character is sitting at a table with his drink at hand. I think it was more common to drink it like that in the old days.

Good Scotch tends to be expensive, so instead, I will relax with a good quality Irish whiskey which is a decent substitute IMO and it's usually cheaper. 

Is it an audio tweak? Maybe. I tend to listen to mellow music so scotch will be a nice thing to listen to with old jazz. However, lately I've been interested in some of the current recordings of Joan Jett and the Blackhearts. Will I drink Scotch to her music? Probably beer.

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #5 of 19

Quote:
Personally I love scotch and it is one of the best drinks to relax to, especially in cold weather with no ice but any time of year is fine. I drink it the old fashioned way. Poured in a short glass (never in a shot glass) and sipped. You'll notice this in some of the old Hollywood black and white movies like when the main character is sitting at a table with his drink at hand. I think it was more common to drink it like that in the old days.

Good Scotch tends to be expensive, so instead, I will relax with a good quality Irish whiskey which is a decent substitute IMO and it's usually cheaper. 

Is it an audio tweak? Maybe. I tend to listen to mellow music so scotch will be a nice thing to listen to with old jazz. However, lately I've been interested in some of the current recordings of Joan Jett and the Blackhearts. Will I drink Scotch to her music? Probably beer.

I enjoy Brandy and Gin over Scotch.

I like Brandy for the flavor, I was raised on wine, so the complex flavors are easier to pick up for me.

And I like Gin because at some point it goes "stop drinking!" when you feel your stomach drop and your gag reflex arch up in anticipation. It tells you when to stop drinking before you might do something stupid.

I don't enjoy scotch because it's usually hard to find a good bottle as you say. But Brandy, E & J for cheap and Gin, New Amsterdam. (I know it's not really gin, but flavored to be it. I still enjoy the taste. But Beefeater is still a nice occasion)

1 Churchill martini (1 full part gin, stare at vermouth, pour into shaker with ice, shake, strain out)
1 Churchill cigar (preferred darker, Gispert)
1 Live in Paris, Diana Krall (a classic)

perfect night

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #6 of 19
Brandy is wonderful too and so under rated. I love gin martinis, usually in the summer. The nice thing with gin is that there seems to be some new boutique brands appearing and the market seems to be expanding.

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #7 of 19

Quote:
Brandy is wonderful too and so under rated. I love gin martinis, usually in the summer. The nice thing with gin is that there seems to be some new boutique brands appearing and the market seems to be expanding.

Have you tried New Amsterdam? It's not flavored with Juniper, it's citrus. But at the first taste, you'd think it's a high dollar GIn. After a while you start on the citrus, but's great. It also doesn't force the gag on you if you rush too fast.

I can't stand the new flavored Vodkas coming out. Vodka with basil and oregano, didn't sit well with me. My mother sure enjoyed it.
Pepper Vodka is a different story.

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
I'll have to try the New Amsterdam gin. I've seen it around but never got to it.

I find it cheaper then beefeater. For someone who doesn't like the strong juniper taste of original gin, this would be a better welcome.

Sep 14, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #10 of 19
Roll up one and all to purchase my Enhanced Alco-Water! Ionically aligned to have the same auditory effects as alcohol, whilst remaining mostly chemically identical to tap water, you can enjoy the sweet sounds of intoxication for only $50.00 a bottle, with none of the irksome side effects of real alcohol! 

Sep 14, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #11 of 19
I find that drinking a choice Jungle Juice, aged for days in the finest Rubbermaid garbage cans casks, simply makes all music sound like Lil Wayne and Brostep.

Sep 14, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #12 of 19
i'm actually a big fan of scotch. My favorite is the doublewood although I haven't tried too many scotches but I would like to in the future. It's nice to just sit back, relax and enjoy a glass of scotch after a long day at work.

Sep 14, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #13 of 19
Oh boy would I like to.  I know next to nothing about scotch, though I have had a Macallan 21 while enjoying a cigar at a cigar bar.  Beats any scotch I've tried prior, though that's mainly because I couldn't tell you a thing about the many times I've had Blue Label.  Mostly I've had stuff that's just plain nutty, literally, flavorwise.

I used to frequently enjoy a whatever (usually vodka, sometimes gin, some cognac) on the rocks while listening to music on headphones late at night.  Haven't done that yet since discovering Head-Fi.  Hm.  That citrus gin sounds sounds it's worth a spin, though I have come to enjoy the juniper thing that a traditional gin has.  My wife likes bourbon, she claims, so maybe that'll be the easiest thing to bring into the house.

I think it's time me and my tumblers got re-acquainted.  Nice thread gents.

Sep 14, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #14 of 19
See, for me hi-fi is a sensory hobby.

Sure, well-made gear is also a source of (somewhat geeky) enjoyment in itself, as is talking about it with like-minded people. But ultimately, I'm in this hobby for those rare moments of sensory bliss when something sounds just right. But why limit the enjoyment to purely audial?

Combining good music with fine scotch just makes the experience more immersive. Not only are my ears being treated, but my tastebuds as well. Last night I was up far later than I should be on a week night, listening to Angus and Julia Stone through my new LCD-2 rev1 while drinking Lagavulin 16yr Islay malt... decadence at its best, IMO.

Sep 14, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
Has anyone else found that their enjoyment of hi-fi increases dramatically when drinking?

Scotch in particular... a fine single malt + headphones = bliss.

Absolutely.

(best post all day)

wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back