School me on some DIY cables
Jun 3, 2008 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

jonjon0nline

100+ Head-Fier
I've seen from sale threads about all these different kinds of cables, Jenna, Vampire, blah blah, etc. and it's confusing. Where can I buy some of these cables? I'm planning on recabling my SR-60's soon with some Canare Starquad but what are some other options?

Thanks in advance.

Jun 4, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #6 of 30
Is there any benefit to using the standard (thicker) varieties of star-quad or neglex? I am trying to decide between neglex quad mic cable, neglex mini quad mic cable, and canare mini star-quad audio cable.

Jun 4, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #7 of 30
Thanks for the Mogami tip, I'll look into that. I've also found that buying wire from Navships off eBay another option. I'm sure the Canare wil be better than stock, but I also want to see what other options there are as I'm one indecisive guy...

Thanks for the replies!

Jun 4, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #8 of 30
It depends on the application.

I have used both sizes and it goes like this:

Single Ended - Mini

Duel Entry - Standard

Interconnects - Standard

Make sure and use good solder and good connectors.

Kester - Bass Heavy
Cardas - Neutral to bright w/ more recessed mids
WBT - more Mids + more bass extention than Cardas

I suggest appx. mixing 2/3 cardas with 1/3 WBT for L/R channels and Kester for the ground. Please use to taste for the connections.. as it is dependent on what material is being used for cable and connector.

Jun 4, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It depends on the application.

I have used both sizes and it goes like this:

Single Ended - Mini

Duel Entry - Standard

Interconnects - Standard

Make sure and use good solder and good connectors.

Kester - Bass Heavy

I suggest appx. mixing 2/3 cardas with 1/3 WBT for L/R channels and Kester for the ground. Please use to taste for the connections.. as it is dependent on what material is being used for cable and connector.

Great post!

Now, can someone shed some light on Jenna and Vampire cables? I've search and googled and have yet to find anything =P

Jun 4, 2008 at 10:19 AM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kester - Bass Heavy

I suggest appx. mixing 2/3 cardas with 1/3 WBT for L/R channels and Kester for the ground...

seriously?

Jun 4, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #13 of 30
Guys,

I have found that the solder makes about half as much importance as the material for the cable and good solder work is essential to the sound.

If anyone has other experience, please post.

The Vampire wire is over priced IMO and the Jena Labs - extremely so.
I have found that you can find stuff that sound better for a lesser price.

Jun 4, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #14 of 30
I personally find that solder makes no difference given a good joint (mechanically and solder-wise). Then again, I pretty much only use Kester (I do have some Wonder solder that I have used), don't have either WBT or Cardas solder, and have never really done any comparisons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back