School Headphones
May 3, 2004 at 7:26 AM Post #16 of 39
there is absolutely no better phone than the shure e5 for hiding. no ifs and or buts about it.

jeez, these things are so inconspicuous I don't even know i'm wearing them.

May 3, 2004 at 7:36 AM Post #17 of 39
I used to use some stock Sony earbuds (I know, I know, this was before I learned about Head-Fi), and practiced the method above putting it through your sleeve, etc etc. It works pretty well and I was never caught once in high school. I can't say much about the canal phones, but I think any earbuds will do (MX400/500s).

May 3, 2004 at 9:40 AM Post #18 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
This could be possible, of course, Mac, but nothing was said or clarified about that for him, so we are all speculating, if that is the case, I still will prefer to not support those attitudes anyway, but I agree that the music will be better...LOL...
I studied for almost 20 years, and only in a few exceptions, a very few, I could agree with you, that the teachers were useless.
I came from another country, with another educational system, very different from the one we have here (thanks God!!!!) and the teachers there, most of them, where teachers by vocation, and not by salary. In that case they did their best, to give you a pretty decent lecture, most of the times even they motivate you to be alert, you could not miss part of what they were saying....

Oh, I'd say that most of the professors I've had were teaching because that's what they wanted to do, not because that's what they had to do. But there are always a few that just fell into the teaching profession and lack any enthusiasm for it, and when you're burdened by one of them, it's a very difficult task to learn the material without any real help.

I really appreciate what teachers CAN be, but sometimes they just don't live up to that potential. I've actually considered going into teacher's college after I get my bachelor's degree and becoming a highschool teacher because I think that would be a job I wouldn't dread doing. Not the greatest wages, but it's more about enjoying what you do.

That said, Camote should know enough to pay attention when he needs to and not listen to music.

May 3, 2004 at 12:40 PM Post #19 of 39
Make sure your teachers don't confiscate them. That would be an expensive lesson.

I never even considered listening to music when I was in class... there's always something else you can do, like write notes or poems or doodle. You could even work ahead on your homework or stuff. Of course, I had my walkman for spares.
lambda.gif

May 3, 2004 at 1:09 PM Post #20 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Mac
I really appreciate what teachers CAN be, but sometimes they just don't live up to that potential.

Or their title.

May 3, 2004 at 1:53 PM Post #21 of 39
Here's a simple but effective choice.

1: Buy Sennheiser Orpheous and portable power supply
2: Stick Orpheous and power supply in backpack.
3: Sit in shadows of classroom and listen away in ninja like stealth. The teacher will be none the wiser. And if you do get caught, then give the teacher a listen, and if he/she has any decency, they will let you listen away till your hearts content.

Irony: I am studying at Uni to become a teacher atm lol.
orphsmile.gif

May 3, 2004 at 2:55 PM Post #22 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumnock
Here's a simple but effective choice.

1: Buy Sennheiser Orpheous and portable power supply
2: Stick Orpheous and power supply in backpack.
3: Sit in shadows of classroom and listen away in ninja like stealth. The teacher will be none the wiser. And if you do get caught, then give the teacher a listen, and if he/she has any decency, they will let you listen away till your hearts content.

Irony: I am studying at Uni to become a teacher atm lol.
orphsmile.gif

"Timmy, I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to confiscate your headphones for listening to them in class"

"When will I get them back?"

"Probably never."

I mean, really... if you were a teacher... you'd jack your student's orpheus setup, right? RIGHT? I know I would.
orphsmile.gif

May 3, 2004 at 6:07 PM Post #23 of 39
If you are gonna wear headphones to class then I hope you are going to private school. I don't want to pay for you going to school to listen to headphones with my federal taxes. In that case you should get Jeklin Floats. That way when the teacher "wops" you upside the head (am I showing my age?) you will be protected from injury and the school will not be subject to lawsuit.

ps. A single earbud works best. Map out your teacher's tendencies toward lecturing habits. Do they cruise the aisles? Do they circle the room? Do they gravitate toward the front? Where is their desk? Where are you in relation to the door. I usually sat towards the back of the room (not the last seat) on the side opposite (or farthest from) the doors. As long as it is not near their desk your risk is slightly diminished.

May 3, 2004 at 6:26 PM Post #24 of 39
damn, some of y'all gotta have real long hair. If I wore earbuds in class everybody would be able to see 'em.

I just can't concentrate when I listen to music, I find myself listening to the lyrics and analysing it
tongue.gif

What I do, usually, when the period is boring(=something I already know), is to do the homework... I don't think I've hat homework in math this semester, 'cause we're doing all the same stuff I did last year... just only ½ the level... I hate school with no seperation... fx I should really be in a learn-to-spell-class
biggrin.gif

May 3, 2004 at 6:35 PM Post #25 of 39
As a teacher . . . the Orpheus setup sounds great. I don't make enough to fund a set up like that so . . .
evil_smiley.gif

1. You are correct, grow your hair long (at least over your ears) so I can't see the head phones. Shures might be a good way to go because the wires wrap up over your ears and down the back of your neck and lie under your collar length hair.
orphsmile.gif

2. I personally would find another way to pass the time. At my school, if I see them, I keep them. Harsh, but that is what I was told to do by my boss (the principal) and I would like to keep my job.

3. Any time you can come to my office and use my set up. Sometimes you have to wait in line.
eggosmile.gif

When I was in school, we just talked the teacher into allowing us to have head phones. Convincing him that we could study LOTS better we were listening to our tunes. That way, we got our music and didn't get into trouble for it.

Good luck!!

May 4, 2004 at 8:07 AM Post #26 of 39
Do parents ever get angry at these "see them and keep them" policies at schools? I remember a huge fight my parents got into when a teacher took something of mine. It may have been a walkman. They weren't angry it was taken during class. No, they agreed with that. They were angry that she wouldn't give it back. I guess her point of view was that I would do it again, and my parent's point-of-view was this was stealing. I can see why you wouldn't give it back to the kid, but at least give it back to the parents. :O

Unluckily for her, dad plaid golf with the principle. I don't think she got in too much trouble, but she had to give the walkman back to dad.

And no worries about me getting off lightly. I was heavily grounded for the trouble.
tongue.gif

May 4, 2004 at 9:24 AM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by pspivak
If you are gonna wear headphones to class then I hope you are going to private school. I don't want to pay for you going to school to listen to headphones with my federal taxes. In that case you should get Jeklin Floats. That way when the teacher "wops" you upside the head (am I showing my age?) you will be protected from injury and the school will not be subject to lawsuit.

thats all under the assumption that the teachers to whom youre ultimately paying with your taxes are actually deserving of that money and are enriching the kids. i know that i didnt learn anything from certain teachers in my days of public grade school.

May 4, 2004 at 10:17 AM Post #28 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
Do parents ever get angry at these "see them and keep them" policies at schools? I remember a huge fight my parents got into when a teacher took something of mine. It may have been a walkman. They weren't angry it was taken during class. No, they agreed with that. They were angry that she wouldn't give it back. I guess her point of view was that I would do it again, and my parent's point-of-view was this was stealing. I can see why you wouldn't give it back to the kid, but at least give it back to the parents. :O

Unluckily for her, dad plaid golf with the principle. I don't think she got in too much trouble, but she had to give the walkman back to dad.

And no worries about me getting off lightly. I was heavily grounded for the trouble.
tongue.gif

I don't think I ever had a teacher who kept something.
Very strange they won't give it back to the parents. That is stealing!

I never let a teacher take something from me. Was a very well mannered student most of the time but when something happened I stood my ground. When I was asked to hand something over I simply said that I wouldn't because it was mine and not theirs. So I would put it in my bag and promised never to bring it in class again and kept that promise. They can't take it if you don't give it. I stayed very polite and respectful, admitted that I was disturbing the lesson and I was in the wrong. But I didn't give my property away.

May 4, 2004 at 1:22 PM Post #29 of 39
the obvious answer is open earbuds and a hooded sweatshirt; a classmate did that all four years of high school. he was really a smart guy, and fun to be around, too. he didn't do *too* well in his classes, but in high school you don't really need to listen to all the teachers. and for the non-honors classes like health, contemporary living, etc., there's really no reason not to. he ended up in Wake Forest, which I hear is pretty decent. hell, I regularly slept through calculus and even skipped it once for a free evanescence concert, you can ask terabyte about this. and I'm happy where I ended up.

Of course, you could also end up shooting yourself in the foot, so be smart about what you do.

the other trick is vodka in a sprite bottle, but I'm not so sure I recommend that one. that seems like a patently bad idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back