School Headphones
May 2, 2004 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

camote

New Head-Fier
I need a headphone that I can use in class. This means that they need to be small enough so that the teacher won't see them when I use them in class.

I would also like to be able to use them at home.

My sources are going to be my MD player and my computer.

I would prefer an open phone just so that I can hear the teacher while still listening to music. But, I am open to almost all recommendations (whether closed or open).

I listen mainly to hiphop and rap.

Budget: not really any, but the more inexpensive, the better

Thank you.

May 2, 2004 at 8:22 PM Post #3 of 39
Actually, i think earbuds are the best choice. They are small and you can still listen to what your teachers says.

What I do: put one earbud through my sweatshirt so that it comes out at the end of the sleeve. Now put the earbud into your palm and then rest your head on your hand. Now it looks like as if you''re only resting your head. The downside is that you only hear one channel. The advantage is that if your teacher notices something, you just lift your head and lower your arm with the earbuds enclosed in your palm. I mean, the teacher will see neither the earbud nor the cable (which is inside the shirt).

It works works pretty well with Koss Ksc35 and normal earbuds (Sennheiser Mx400/500 are supposed to be pretty good).

Well, if you can live with less stealth then just use the Koss Ksc35 or the Mx400/500 normally. I really think these two choices are best for in class. Other headphones are just too big
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2004 at 8:23 PM Post #4 of 39
i guess canalphones are out of the question, since u wont hear anything with those on. u can try the mx500, but they wont be for home use, unless ur computer is very close 2 ur head. the cord is real short.

May 2, 2004 at 8:40 PM Post #5 of 39
My current set is the MX-400. I am able to wear them like the Shure E2c (behind the ear) and not have them visible except for the cord behind your neck.

Wouldn't the KSC-35 be too big? Portapros are out the question since they are too large.

Should I just stick to the MX-400?

May 2, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #6 of 39
yes. u wont be able to hear anything if you use canalphones. assistant principal stood next to me once talking to me..and i didnt even hear her..soo yeah..stick with the mx400's. wear a hoodie..and just put ur hood on.

May 2, 2004 at 9:40 PM Post #8 of 39
Longhair helps a lot... any not fullsize phone can be weared if you have longer than shoulderlength hair. The cord is invisible and so are the phones under the hair. Just make sure you dont leak to mutch noise. Thats why earbuds would work best probaly.

May 2, 2004 at 10:24 PM Post #9 of 39
Yep, long hair++. My ears are pretty much invisible from any angle and only very slightly visible from the front so earbuds are unnoticeable. Though, after a couple of hours wearing my HD555s, the hair gets formed back around the ears and I can't do that anymore.

May 3, 2004 at 12:23 AM Post #10 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by camote
I would prefer an open phone just so that I can hear the teacher while still listening to music. But, I am open to almost all recommendations (whether closed or open).

Ah... juvenile delinquency strikes again. I suppose there are worse things you could do as oppose to merely sneaking MD music into class.

The problem with open phones is that it leaks sound both ways. So they are a no-no. (How on earth do you plan to wear a full size can without having the teacher see it??)

And don't get the eyts, they protrude out from your ears and the red/blue joints are dead giveaways.

And I thought I was a bad egg back in the days.
tongue.gif

May 3, 2004 at 12:38 AM Post #11 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by KJ869
Longhair helps a lot...

That's why girls are better at this than guys.
smily_headphones1.gif
But really...I could never do this sort of thing. I'd be nervous that I'd get caught. I can imagine that you could hide a small phone if you leaned against it, against the wall. Just be smart when you do this stuff and don't turn the music up too loud. And just use one ear and keep the other one open.

May 3, 2004 at 12:42 AM Post #12 of 39
camote:
Listen buddy, a classroom is not a place to wear headphones of any kind, unless a language lab.....

For the rest, we should not support those kind of absurd attitudes here....waht you need is to pay attention to the teacher, period......if you need an earbud at school, what are you going there in the first instance, remember that we pay those teachers with our taxes also.....why not staying home????.....
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

May 3, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
camote:
Listen buddy, a classroom is not a place to wear headphones of any kind, unless a language lab.....

For the rest, we should not support those kind of absurd attitudes here....waht you need is to pay attention to the teacher, period......if you need an earbud at school, what are you going there in the first instance, remember that we pay those teachers with our taxes also.....why not staying home????.....
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Some teachers are just useless, and you're better off just learning from the book. I've had several classes (normally about one per year) where the prof was almost a detriment to education. I attended all the lectures, and since I'd already read and understood the material, and the prof then just read the text or class notes VERBATIM. If they ever wandered off the text, I'd kill my music and listen, but most lectures were merely a reading of the text, and then maybe 5 minutes of useful Q/A at the end where students who had had problems asked them. So for a 90 minute lecture, there was maybe 15 minutes of new content. I'll gladly listen to music for the other 75 minutes.

However, there are some great profs out there that deserve recognition and attention. For them, I'd never consider wearing earbuds, I'd lose so much valuable knowledge that way.

Additionally, it could be that Camote is a gifted student and is being forced to take classes well below his academic potential due to shortsighted and inflexible school board policy. In highschool I've had classmates in a grade 9 or 10 math class who were also taking math classes in second or third year at university at night, and who were only in the highschool classes because they were a prerequisite to graduating.

May 3, 2004 at 1:08 AM Post #14 of 39
This could be possible, of course, Mac, but nothing was said or clarified about that for him, so we are all speculating, if that is the case, I still will prefer to not support those attitudes anyway, but I agree that the music will be better...LOL...
I studied for almost 20 years, and only in a few exceptions, a very few, I could agree with you, that the teachers were useless.
I came from another country, with another educational system, very different from the one we have here (thanks God!!!!) and the teachers there, most of them, where teachers by vocation, and not by salary. In that case they did their best, to give you a pretty decent lecture, most of the times even they motivate you to be alert, you could not miss part of what they were saying....

May 3, 2004 at 7:00 AM Post #15 of 39
I am using my E3C for this, like Mac said, sometimes you get better information from reading the book than listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Music + surfing the web sure beats boring lectures!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back