SchiitShow 2015 Impressions
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #166 of 437
Right from the website...

So what’s the real answer? How is Gungnir Multibit half the price of Yggdrasil?
Easy. It’s a simpler DAC. The power supply has no choke-input, shunt-regulated stage like in Yggdrasil, the chassis and construction more streamlined, we’re using more surface-mount parts in the analog section, and (most importantly), we’re using 18-bit AD5781BRUZ D/A converters, rather than the mind-blowingly expensive AD5791s we use in Yggdrasil. However, the completely insane, closed-form, DSP-based, 18,000-tap filter remains in Gungnir Uber.

Aug 16, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #167 of 437
  Right from the website...

So what’s the real answer? How is Gungnir Multibit half the price of Yggdrasil?
Easy. It’s a simpler DAC. The power supply has no choke-input, shunt-regulated stage like in Yggdrasil, the chassis and construction more streamlined, we’re using more surface-mount parts in the analog section, and (most importantly), we’re using 18-bit AD5781BRUZ D/A converters, rather than the mind-blowingly expensive AD5791s we use in Yggdrasil. However, the completely insane, closed-form, DSP-based, 18,000-tap filter remains in Gungnir Uber.

Beat me too it matt.

Aug 16, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #169 of 437
  I love the Gungnir M upgrade, will probably purchase it.  
The Mjolnir 2 is a disappointment.  Only one balanced HP output, not two like the original.  That's a show-stopper for me.

Yeah but having a single ended output opens it up to a MUCH wider audience. It just makes business sense.

This is literally what made me buy the Mjolnir2! SE preamp outputs for my powered speakers, and the ability to run any  headphones I have, including the ones I don't have balanced cables for. It's a win.

Who really runs 2 balanced headphones at the same time often anyways?

Aug 16, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #170 of 437
Greetings fellow Head-fiers!

It was a great Schiit show!  Thanks to Jason, Mike, Warren and staff for organizing such a fun event. Thanks also to Dan Clark and Mr. Speakers for sharing the floor. It was really entertaining to have such a streamlined event focusing on a few new products with a relatively small crowd.

The new products have already been listed above so I won't go over that again.  Of the newly listed products, the most interesting to me are the new hybrid tube/solid state Mjolnir 2 and the multibit Gungnir (uber).  The introduction of the new LISST tubes is pretty intriguing as they can be added to the Mjolnir 2 or Lyr 2 to make them pure solid state.  The Lyr in particular sounded really great with the SS tubes.  I preferred the Mjolnir 2 with vacuum tubes; they seemed to add just a hint of warmth while maintaining the very inherently neutral, extended sound of the Mjolnir.

The new multibit Gungnir is simply a revelation at the price.  Nix that, It sounds so damn great, so close to it's big brother, the Yggy, that it is simply astonishing that it costs less than half the price of it's aforementioned big brother.  This one is going to sell.  Big-time.  I currently am a proud owner of an Oppo HA-1, which is a spectacular sounding unit.  I only have one caveat: the treble rendering is adequate but not inspiring from it's onboard dac.  The Gungnir Uber is exactly what I'm looking for to upgrade my digital side.  The amp is pretty reference level.

I'd like to thank Warren, Jude, and Chris Martens (Hifi Plus+) for being very warm and accommodating.  It was a lot of fun to hang out with you guys and mix it up with such prominent voices in our hobby.  Thanks Chris M. for some very honest advice on speaker recommendations and for sharing some reference tracks on your Questyle ; lots of fun!

I didn't partake in most of the contests; but the one I did, I won!  This was the Mike Moffat joke contest.  The joke he liked best would get a surprise gift: this turned out to be a Bifrost Uber.  I will repeat the winning joke here for those that couldn't attend:
"What did the leper say to the prostitute?   - keep the tip!"

Again. Thanks to Schiit Audio for putting on such a fun event.  The Hotel MDR was a great venue with great food and a fun environment.  Looking forward to this being a hopefully annual event!

Aug 16, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #172 of 437
The joke should have been: 

How do audiophiles greet each other? They .WAV

Aug 16, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #173 of 437
Aug 16, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #175 of 437

This is literally what made me buy the Mjolnir2! SE preamp outputs for my powered speakers, and the ability to run any  headphones I have, including the ones I don't have balanced cables for. It's a win.

Who really runs 2 balanced headphones at the same time often anyways?

I know, it's a different sort of need for a HP amp, but my wife and I like to listen to the same music at the same time.  Hence the need for two balanced outputs.  We use our current Mojo to drive the LCD-X and XC at the same time.  Unfortunately, the balanced/SE outputs of the Mojo2 won't work due to the different output powers.  

Aug 16, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #176 of 437
as long as you put the dac on the bottom, yeah you should be fine.

Thanks, yeah I wouldn't even dare to think to put the Mjolnir on the bottom.

Aug 16, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #178 of 437
Reading is hard.
smily_headphones1.gif

Reading is fundamental.

Aug 16, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #179 of 437

About 1/4 the time of the Yggy or 12 hours.  This from the man himself, Mr. Moffat.  He also confirmed that, now that they've had Yggy's in the wild for a while, it turns out that warm-up time decreases significantly as the equipment burns in.

Does "warm-up time" imply time to optimal sound quality before each use? Does that mean these units are meant to be left powered on basically permanently, unless you leave for vacation? 

Aug 16, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #180 of 437

Does "warm-up time" imply time to optimal sound quality before each use? Does that mean these units are meant to be left powered on basically permanently, unless you leave for vacation? 

Yes and yes. Mike Moffat has posted that he leaves his equipment on all the time, and that in any DAC he designs, he designs it so that the important components stay on whether the DAC is on or off (as long as it's plugged in, obviously).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back