Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Mar 29, 2024 at 6:21 PM Post #12,061 of 12,314
Can you please expand on what you mean by ‘uneven crosstalk’?

Crosstalk measurements (one channel) of the A2, RCA and XLR outputs. I found I only noticed the effect when A/B'ing between the Yggy and other DACs, but some tracks had a touch more mid-bass.
Screenshot 2024-03-30 at 07.17.16.pngScreenshot 2024-03-30 at 07.15.48.png

I wonder what a full report from the MIB looks like. If the crosstalk is much flatter (in most devices, it's sloping upwards) it may explain the way people have been describing the sound.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 8:49 PM Post #12,062 of 12,314
Crosstalk measurements (one channel) of the A2, RCA and XLR outputs. I found I only noticed the effect when A/B'ing between the Yggy and other DACs, but some tracks had a touch more mid-bass.

I wonder what a full report from the MIB looks like. If the crosstalk is much flatter (in most devices, it's sloping upwards) it may explain the way people have been describing the sound.
Thanks for your comments, but… we are talking roughly below -100dB. Slightly higher in the highs where it is less important.

MIB may be flatter as OpAmps are used. But honestly I think that the flavor is not due to this. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 1:39 AM Post #12,063 of 12,314
Thanks for your comments, but… we are talking roughly below -100dB. Slightly higher in the highs where it is less important.

MIB may be flatter as OpAmps are used. But honestly I think that the flavor is not due to this. Just my opinion.
It's how amp manufacturers "tune" their designs, they alter the crosstalk (though I'm sure it's not intentional in the case of the Yggy A2). Some famous amps have a v-shaped pattern, which gives a subtle illusion of greater soundstage. I talked to a manufacturer who deliberately did this in one of their circuit designs, so it's not speculation. It also doesn't have anything to do with how low the crosstalk is, it has to do with the crosstalk level relative to other frequencies.

Apr 1, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #12,065 of 12,314
That shouldn't be an issue at all. I watch Netflix movies with Dolby Headphone DSP that goes through Windows Mixer all the time and get zero sync issues

Apr 4, 2024 at 10:18 PM Post #12,066 of 12,314
I’ve been gradually but continuously migrating from “measurements uber alles” towards a more “what matters is how it sounds” more subjective type of view of audio.

That is to say, I’d always been fairly skeptical of whether or not the sound of two different DACs was really discernible from one another.

I’ve had an RME ADi-2 DAC forever, and it’s still a great product and site in my bedroom setup, but since I’d wanted to get away from EQing everything to Harman to see if I could enjoy headphones based on their stock tuning I set up a little second system in my living room by the side of the sofa I usually don’t sit on, which started out pretty modestly with a Schiit Magni Piety and an SMSL SU-9.

I’d originally picked the SU-9 because it has sound color modes, including a tube mode that injects a nice spike of 2nd order harmonic distortion, which I thought might make the Piety sound tubier.

The Piety gave way to a Folkvangr, since I figured I might as well try an actual tube amp, but I was still using the SU-9 DAC.

Well, I was curious about this whole multibit DAC thing, and the Yggdrasil GS2 looked to be a great value (I wasn’t sure if I wanted to do the Bifrost since it uses the same chips as the Yggy LIM, and the descriptions of how that sounded didn’t make it sound like it would be my cup of tea).

Anyway, browsing through the classifieds, there’s a Yggdrasil A2 being sold for not much more than a GS2, so I rolled the dice, figuring if I didn’t hear a difference it’d be early enough to sell since it’s out of production now.

I know that’s a long bit of setup, but I plugged it in tonight and let it warm up for a couple of hours, and now I’m listening to my Verite Closeds through it and my Folkvangr, and within the first couple songs I realize i will never sell this thing, there absolutely is a difference.

I’ve heard it gets even better as it warms up more, but wow, I’m hearing elements of songs I’d never heard before, and the soundstage and imaging are incredible.

I should be going to bed now, but instead I’m listening to the entire Steely Dan Two Against Nature album, and it all just sounds so amazing now with this setup.

Apr 4, 2024 at 10:50 PM Post #12,068 of 12,314
I received the Yggy+ GS2 (with Unison USB) several days ago (to replace the Bifrost 2/64)... still trying to break it in... any advice or comment? Thanks.

Just enjoy the music!

Apr 5, 2024 at 1:35 AM Post #12,069 of 12,314
I received the Yggy+ GS2 (with Unison USB) several days ago (to replace the Bifrost 2/64)... still trying to break it in... any advice or comment? Thanks.
Just leave it on 24/7 and listen to music when you feel like it.

Apr 5, 2024 at 2:34 AM Post #12,070 of 12,314
Just leave it on 24/7 and listen to music when you feel like it.
Someone advised me to leave music playing 24/7 suggesting having a signal would have speed it up. I have no idea if it helped, but it didn’t hurt. I also added the twist of having Qobuz shuffle through a large playlist of various sample/bitrates (to keep those relays clicking). I have no idea if it helped, but it didn’t hurt. Regardless, the biggest thing you need is to give it time. I was still noticing changes 3 weeks out despite leaving it on with music playing nonstop.

Apr 5, 2024 at 9:36 AM Post #12,073 of 12,314
Someone advised me to leave music playing 24/7 suggesting having a signal would have speed it up. I have no idea if it helped, but it didn’t hurt. I also added the twist of having Qobuz shuffle through a large playlist of various sample/bitrates (to keep those relays clicking). I have no idea if it helped, but it didn’t hurt. Regardless, the biggest thing you need is to give it time. I was still noticing changes 3 weeks out despite leaving it on with music playing nonstop.
Probably what changed was the mechanical parts of your speakers, nothing in the DAC.

Apr 5, 2024 at 8:03 PM Post #12,075 of 12,314
Has anyone gotten a MIB version recently and can compare it to the other offerings? I'm torn on trying a GS2 + unison or the MIB and am curious how they compare or thoughts on both
I bought the Yggy+ OG at the time MIB was released. I opted for the classic and I have no interest in the MIB… you may find the GS2+Unison a steal hard to pass…

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back