Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jul 26, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #11,506 of 12,400
All of Schiit's products from the last 4-5 years (maybe even longer) are UAC2 compliant. Unison is only UAC2 compatible. Gen 5 is UAC2 compliant and I think backward compatible to UAC.
sorry what is the difference between compliant and compatible?

whatever my yggy is doing is not playing nice

edit so this is what the shiit site gives me:

Ah, the Gen 5 USB! It's a beauty, isn't it? Now, when it comes to UAC2 compatibility, the Gen 5 USB is designed to work seamlessly with UAC2 compliant devices. That means if your source and DAC support UAC2, you're good to go! Just plug it in, and let the music flow. If you're unsure whether your devices are UAC2 compliant, it's best to check with the manufacturer. But trust me, the Gen 5 USB is ready to rock with UAC2! Anything else I can Schiit-talk about?.

im not sure what they taking about that "if your dac supports it" when it is build into your dac

after playing around some more all i can get now is either silence or like "white noise"

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #11,507 of 12,400
Same thing happened with my gungnir (periodic intermittent sound) till the USB finally stopped working. Havent been able to see if a DDC w/coax will fix my problem or not. I dont even know if its worth getting it fixed tbh given the price of replacement parts and what the gungnir goes for on the used market, might not be the same case for you though.

Anyways not to make this about me - but I've experienced something similar with my schiit dac.
No worries, appreciate the input! Was hoping to hear if there was anyone else experiencing similar anyways.

You may have said this, but is this happening only on the USB or on all the inputs to the YGGY?
Does wiggling the connections or moving them to a certain bend/position make it happen? Like a failing connection on the board or in the cable?

Also, another thought, how is the thermal management in your audio rack? good air flow? What's the temp in the room?
Is your room dusty? Could it just need cleaning?
Both of the above "could" cause overheating? maybe?

Just grasping at straws now but maybe worth looking into?
It's a problem with all inputs. I've tested Unison USB, coax, AES. Honestly heat has been my biggest suspicion from the beginning. My equipment isn't setup with the "best" airflow, but I also don't feel like the Yggy is too hot? At least nowhere hot to the touch. I've owned a Lyr 3 before that would intermittent cut out sound when it got scalding hot from the tubes. Not sure about cleaning. I did install the Unison and LIM boards in the chassis myself, and never noticed a significant dust problem.

I may just move the Yggy to a more open area and see if that solves the problem by experimentation. Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Jul 27, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #11,508 of 12,400
I wonder if i got one of those Gen 5 boards with wrong firmware that were not recognized as UAC2 device

the USB redirector on the Holo Adio RED lists the yggy as : Composite USB Device...

is that what it is supposed to be?

Aug 2, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #11,509 of 12,400
I wonder if i got one of those Gen 5 boards with wrong firmware that were not recognized as UAC2 device

the USB redirector on the Holo Adio RED lists the yggy as : Composite USB Device...

is that what it is supposed to be?
Sorry brother, can’t help you with that one, but i can say that this stack has ended my head-fi journey most satisfactorily.

Yggy LIM > Mjolnir KGSSHV and ampsandsound Forge. Music to my ears!

Attachments

• IMG_8760.jpeg
    IMG_8760.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Aug 2, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #11,510 of 12,400
Sorry brother, can’t help you with that one, but i can say that this stack has ended my head-fi journey most satisfactorily.

Yggy LIM > Mjolnir KGSSHV and ampsandsound Forge. Music to my ears!

What do you have for input tube on your Forge? How's the noise floor of the KT88 Sophia tubes?

Aug 3, 2023 at 3:27 AM Post #11,511 of 12,400
What do you have for input tube on your Forge? How's the noise floor of the KT88 Sophia tubes?
It’s a Sylvania Gold Brand 5751. Listening via my Uber sensitive PS2000s so not quite dead silent but pretty close.

Aug 11, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #11,512 of 12,400
I usually don't like to believe in burn-in or whatnot, but I feel like I do experience difference in how Yggy sounds after having it on awhile. It's odd. Maybe it's placebo, I can't be sure.

I'm on the tour for Hifiman Audivina, and recently turned on the Yggy after having off awhile. The mids didn't sound all the detailed, but smoothed out, and I mainly noticed the treble, but after having it on awhile I notice mids textures, and details a bit more. This could just be my ears are more sensitive to mids this time around.

I've had headphones that majority people would think it's smooth out lacking details that sound more details once my ears adjusts. It's just the fact of how our ears work, so I'm hesitant to make any conclusive remarks. Based on years of experience of listening to various headphones, I find out that our ears adjusts to sounds to even out the response to some degree or try to bring out the details it initially was not noticing. It's the fact of human nature, the relativity of our senses. It's akin to a coping mechanism. This is important to take into consideration even though impression are fun to express.

One thing I'm not a huge fan is the upper mids texture sounds a bit too texturey (not as defined or tight as I like), but it seems to output largest sound stage, and 3d like imaging is noticeable. It's the imaging, the large sound stage, and smooth highs, with good bass textures are what I like about Yggy. Probably the best standalone DAC I've experienced thus far.

Regarding the highs, I say smooth or tamed because my HE-6 doesn't sound peaky with it (We all know it's highs can get there). So, it seems to tame the highs. Same for HD800S, both trebles are better tolerable with Yggy.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #11,513 of 12,400
It has been my experience that Yggy likes to be left on. Only time I turn mine off, or any of my DACs is when I'll be away from home for an extended period and for severe WX with cloud-to-ground lightening. When I do need to power it off it can take a couple days or more for the SQ to stabilize again.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #11,514 of 12,400
Just for something totally different- vacationing in the UK went along to a Renaissance festival, where were performing Trobar De Morte whom I’d not heard before, here is a link to their Yggdrasil on YT (they are on Tidal and Sq is better there but worth having a look/listen if you like that genre

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #11,515 of 12,400
Yiggy vs MMB2...

Question for those owning any of the Yggy forms and also having significant MMB2 listening time.

The MMB2 is quite good; very neutral presentation offering (in a good system) wide stage and separation.

What does a Yiigy $2k+ differential offer over the MMB2? I am sure there are differences. What are they?

Those differences may be noticeable with a quick A/B comparo, but do they last? Say, we listen to a CD on Yiigy and we appreciate it. A couple of days later we listen to the same CD on MMB2, do we immediately notice the difference?

Aug 23, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #11,516 of 12,400
Yiggy vs MMB2...

Question for those owning any of the Yggy forms and also having significant MMB2 listening time.

The MMB2 is quite good; very neutral presentation offering (in a good system) wide stage and separation.

What does a Yiigy $2k+ differential offer over the MMB2? I am sure there are differences. What are they?

Those differences may be noticeable with a quick A/B comparo, but do they last? Say, we listen to a CD on Yiigy and we appreciate it. A couple of days later we listen to the same CD on MMB2, do we immediately notice the difference?
The issue comes down to the rest of your chain. For me, Yggy provides resolution. I hear stuff in my library that I never knew was there. I have audio files / CD's that go back to the 80's. When I got my first yggy, I was amazed. It was the first time that digital sounded analog to me. That said, the source needs to be there, the amp that drives the HP needs to be there, and the HP's needs to be there.

My paradigm shifted significantly when I incorporated a YGGY that a DAC plays a MAJOR role. I never really understood that. But that's just me.

Aug 23, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #11,517 of 12,400
The issue comes down to the rest of your chain. For me, Yggy provides resolution. I hear stuff in my library that I never knew was there. I have audio files / CD's that go back to the 80's. When I got my first yggy, I was amazed. It was the first time that digital sounded analog to me. That said, the source needs to be there, the amp that drives the HP needs to be there, and the HP's needs to be there.

My paradigm shifted significantly when I incorporated a YGGY that a DAC plays a MAJOR role. I never really understood that. But that's just me.

Thanks! Which Yiigy version do you have?

Aug 24, 2023 at 6:53 AM Post #11,519 of 12,400
I had the first version with usb 3, it replaced a gumby which replaced a bifrost. I now have LIM with Unison.
Ditto for Yggy+ OG current version - not sure you will hear the differences until/unless the rest of the chain is in place.

Aug 25, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #11,520 of 12,400
I just got a Yggy A2 with Unison USB. I cannot got my iFi Zen Stream to recognize it. I read about other Yggy/Zen Stream owners having the same issue. Did anyone figure out a solution besides switching to SPDIF output from the Zen Stream?

@Shooter41 I saw you had the same issue. Any luck getting getting the combo to work?

Also what are the inputs from left to right on the front of the Yggy. In the manual, it list them in this order: USB, AES/EBU, BNC, Coax, Toslink. This doesn’t seem accurate because the middle input light (third from the left) is lit up with the Coax input active. According to the manual this should be the BNC input.

Update: I got the Zen Stream to recognize the Yggy after switching from my fancy Audio Sensibility USB cable to a generic USB cable. I’m still a bit baffled since the Audio Sensibility USB cable worked fine with the Bifrost 2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back