Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Aug 29, 2023 at 1:57 AM Post #11,536 of 12,484
My main speaker system is on the warm side of neutral so I am looking at DACs that are highly resolving with plenty of soundstage depth/width, perhaps a little forward and energetic. From what I've read the Yggy+ OG might be the one. Other options I'm looking at are Chord Qutest and maybe Denefrips Pontus II (although this sounds to be warm/lush so maybe not ideal).

Aug 29, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #11,537 of 12,484
My main speaker system is on the warm side of neutral so I am looking at DACs that are highly resolving with plenty of soundstage depth/width, perhaps a little forward and energetic. From what I've read the Yggy+ OG might be the one. Other options I'm looking at are Chord Qutest and maybe Denefrips Pontus II (although this sounds to be warm/lush so maybe not ideal).
This definition can be fulfilled by original Yggdrasil Analog 1. I had it, it was really full of details, forward sounding, nice soundstage. After upgrading to Analog 2, sound was significantly warmer, still detailed, but more laid back. Off current offering, Yggdrasil+ MIL is probably closest to Analog 1.

Aug 29, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #11,538 of 12,484
The og a2 sounds great from both outputs. I would be more concerned about varience on your amps circuitry as opposed to the output on the yggy.
Ditto here- also using RCA outs for tube amp and XLR for SS (Burson 3XGT 2023). One thing to add- having heard that the RCA/SE outs on Yggy+ OG were ‘gimped’ I bought a Jensen XLR-> RCA transformer. This did NOT improve the SQ- upper mids were recessed and compressed. There are dip switches on that unit that maybe need re-set (they are at factory configuration), so I plan to contact Jensen to see if there’s anything I can do to improve- but after I found the inferior SQ on Jensen XLR OUT vs native Yggy+ RCA OUT to the same amp (3XGT) - I just started using the native RCA outs from the Yggy and have been happy with that so haven’t felt any urgency to do anything different.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #11,539 of 12,484
Quick question, what does Schitt mean by this In their Ygdrassil+ manual?

"1 Connect the XLR outputs to your balanced preamp or integrated amp. Use good-quality XLR cables. We do not recommend connecting directly to your amp, even if you are using digital volume control on your source."

Aug 29, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #11,540 of 12,484
Quick question, what does Schitt mean by this In their Ygdrassil+ manual?

"1 Connect the XLR outputs to your balanced preamp or integrated amp. Use good-quality XLR cables. We do not recommend connecting directly to your amp, even if you are using digital volume control on your source."
Like all of the Schiit DACs, Yggdrasil has no onboard attenuation, and in that configuration, you would be relying entirely on the upstream digital source to attenuate it first. If that gets reset, then the Yggdrasil is going to get a full-scale digital signal and send it on to your power amp at full line level. This might be dangerous to your hearing or your speakers, depending on how powerful your power amp is and what speakers are connected. They're suggesting to put analog attenuation of some kind in between the DAC and the power amp, that is, something with a volume knob that's unlikely to unexpectedly turn itself all the way up without your manual intervention.

Aug 29, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #11,541 of 12,484
Like all of the Schiit DACs, Yggdrasil has no onboard attenuation, and in that configuration, you would be relying entirely on the upstream digital source to attenuate it first. If that gets reset, then the Yggdrasil is going to get a full-scale digital signal and send it on to your power amp at full line level. This might be dangerous to your hearing or your speakers, depending on how powerful your power amp is and what speakers are connected. They're suggesting to put analog attenuation of some kind in between the DAC and the power amp, that is, something with a volume knob that's unlikely to unexpectedly turn itself all the way up without your manual intervention.
Does this apply to headphone amps also?

Aug 29, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #11,542 of 12,484
Does this apply to headphone amps also?
No, nor to integrated amps, as those all have their own volume controls. They're talking about a fixed-gain power amplifier with no volume control. The advice there is that it's a bad idea to use it without some kind of manual volume control after the DAC.

Aug 29, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #11,543 of 12,484
No, nor to integrated amps, as those all have their own volume controls. They're talking about a fixed-gain power amplifier with no volume control. The advice there is that it's a bad idea to use it without some kind of manual volume control after the DAC.
Got it. thank you.

Sep 1, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #11,544 of 12,484
Jason just announced on the main Schiit thread that the Yggy OG is not long for life. The Analog Devices dac chip it uses is unobtainium for a reasonable price.

Interesting that they're going to do a special MIB version (more is better) with a 20 bit TI dac chip. And the other flavors are (of course) available, so Yggy is still great overall.

I feel so lucky to have got my hands on the GS version (the real OG, if you will). It truly is amazing in every way.

Sep 1, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #11,545 of 12,484
Jason just announced on the main Schiit thread that the Yggy OG is not long for life. The Analog Devices dac chip it uses is unobtainium for a reasonable price.

Interesting that they're going to do a special MIB version (more is better) with a 20 bit TI dac chip. And the other flavors are (of course) available, so Yggy is still great overall.

I feel so lucky to have got my hands on the GS version (the real OG, if you will). It truly is amazing in every way.
Is the gs version a1 or a2?

Sep 1, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #11,547 of 12,484
GS means an A1 board pulled out of a unit sent in for the A2 upgrade, and installed in an otherwise new-production unit. They were a byproduct of the A2 upgrade process.

Yes, and a heck of a deal at the time. Though I have to admit, now tempted to do the case and unison usb upgrades; which will make it more expensive overall. But have had many months of enjoyment with the GS, so there's that. May just skip the upgrade, and get a MIB for my 2-channel setup and be done. Decisions, decisions.

Sep 1, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #11,548 of 12,484
I had been contemplating selling my A2 and getting a Holo Spring, with the expectation that I could just come back to the A2 again if I didn't love the Spring. But if these A2s are truly becoming unobtanium I may have to adjust my plan...

Sep 1, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #11,549 of 12,484
I had been contemplating selling my A2 and getting a Holo Spring, with the expectation that I could just come back to the A2 again if I didn't love the Spring. But if these A2s are truly becoming unobtanium I may have to adjust my plan...
That would be a tough decision as they are each great pieces in their own way. Maybe consider both if its an option?

Sep 1, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #11,550 of 12,484
That would be a tough decision as they are each great pieces in their own way. Maybe consider both if its an option?
For those of us who opted for the OG/A2, this is in someways a backhanded piece of good news. I’ve never heard the Holo Spring or May, but after I received the Yggy OG, it never left me wanting for more. Bass authority and texture is legendary, space air and detail retrieval up top are wonderful, and with a good amp backing it up downstream , in my case the Burson 3XGT 2023 version, I have felt quite well satisfied. Some have reported that they found the OG to have somewhat of a veiled presentation (the “grayground”), but for those of us who have some degree of tinnitus, and especially with the right set up this really is not a problem. Should I at some point wish to upgrade, perhaps, if the A2 is no longer available the re-sell price for these units will be a bit higher (good for me). I used to bemoan the fact that the USB unison only transmits up to 192 kHz, but since I moved from TIDAL to Qobuz, I’m now realizing that other than DSD, there is really nothing out there that is produced bit perfect at a higher resolution- and YGGY OG works just fine up to 192 kilohertz.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back