Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Aug 25, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #11,521 of 12,477
The order should be USB, Optical Toslink, RCA coax, BNC digital, AES/BEU XLR.
Same order left to right as what is on the back of the unit as shown here:
1693016648258.png

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #11,522 of 12,477
Update: I got the Zen Stream to recognize the Yggy after switching from my fancy Audio Sensibility USB cable to a generic USB cable. I’m still a bit baffled since the Audio Sensibility USB cable worked fine with the Bifrost 2.
I have the same cable (Statement Silver USB) connecting Sonore Optical Rendu streamer to Yggy+ A2 w/ Unison USB and have no problem. IMHO the issue is the iFi Zen Stream- have you tried connecting another streamer with all the other gear in your chain? I hear really good things about the Wiim Pro- though it is not using USB out (rather aux output, Coax and Optical).

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #11,523 of 12,477
The order should be USB, Optical Toslink, RCA coax, BNC digital, AES/BEU XLR.
Same order left to right as what is on the back of the unit as shown here:
1693016648258.png
Thanks - i was trying to figure out the front panel too and this helps.

One question: I am planning to feed a signal from my DAP (Hiby R8) via a coaxial cable out to the Yggy. From what I can tell about the R8’s coaxial output, it is BNC/Spidf not RCA. If one feeds the wrong type of signal to the Yggy (BNC coax in when it ought to be RCA in), however, will it damage the Yggy? I am guessing the difference is that RCA is analog in and BNC is digital- so if the signal doesn’t match what Yggy is ‘looking for’ from that input, it just won’t play anything or else it will just sound like static. I don’t want to damage anything, though…

Aug 25, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #11,524 of 12,477

One question: I am planning to feed a signal from my DAP (Hiby R8) via a coaxial cable out to the Yggy. From what I can tell about the R8’s coaxial output, it is BNC/Spidf not RCA. If one feeds the wrong type of signal to the Yggy (BNC coax in when it ought to be RCA in), however, will it damage the Yggy? I am guessing the difference is that RCA is analog in and BNC is digital- so if the signal doesn’t match what Yggy is ‘looking for’ from that input, it just won’t play anything or else it will just sound like static. I don’t want to damage anything, though…
Both the RCA and BNC inputs “want” a 75 ohm cable. So if you already have a BNC cable, that should be great. It’s apparently more difficult to get a true 75 ohm impedance with RCAs. (Blue Jeans Cable and others have articles on this) Also, the shorter the better.

Aug 25, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #11,525 of 12,477
I have the same cable (Statement Silver USB) connecting Sonore Optical Rendu streamer to Yggy+ A2 w/ Unison USB and have no problem. IMHO the issue is the iFi Zen Stream- have you tried connecting another streamer with all the other gear in your chain? I hear really good things about the Wiim Pro- though it is not using USB out (rather aux output, Coax and Optical).
I tried connecting my iPhone using the CCK dongle with the Statement Silver USB cable, and still the Zen Stream won’t recognize the Yggy.

I’m going to hook my Bifrost 2 up again tomorrow and make sure the Statement cable still works with it. Like I said, I never had an issue with the Zen Stream > Statement Silver USB > BF2. I can’t see why the Yggy would be any different since it has the same Unison USB input.

Final update:
The Statement cable worked perfectly with the Bifrost 2 as expected. Without much hope, I plugged the cable back into the Yggy and to my utter surprise, it worked! Can’t explain it, but I’m going to leave everything as it is now that it’s all working. Now I can finally concentrate on enjoying some music!

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #11,526 of 12,477
Yeah, that's why I showed the front panel too, the teeny tiny icons are shown by the rear panel sockets, too.
They are very small and my old eyes can't see them well on the device. I've always wished they made them a little bigger or a more contrasted color.
Of course if they did that then there would be folks complaining about the icons being to big and too contrasting, LOL. :)
I just memorized the order and then use the physical socket's order to remind me when I forget.
Ultimately I end up cycling through until the music plays and then call it a day... LOL

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #11,527 of 12,477
Yeah, that's why I showed the front panel too, the teeny tiny icons are shown by the rear panel sockets, too.
They are very small and my old eyes can't see them well on the device. I've always wished they made them a little bigger or a more contrasted color.
Of course if they did that then there would be folks complaining about the icons being to big and too contrasting, LOL. :)
I just memorized the order and the use the physical socket's order to remind me when I forget.
Ultimately I end up cycling through until the music plays and then call it a day... LOL
My reading glasses are near my gear. Same problem as you.

Aug 26, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #11,528 of 12,477
My reading glasses are near my gear. Same problem as you.
I bought a bunch of these to leave in key areas around the house and vehicles.
Carson 5x MiniBrite LED Lighted Slide-Out Aspheric Magnifier with Protective Sleeve - Set of 4 (PO-55MU),Gray off Amazon... 🧐

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 8:06 PM Post #11,532 of 12,477
I've heard some comments suggesting the Yggy sounds better from its balanced outputs. Being single-ended I'm curious as to the difference from those that have experience with both outputs..

Aug 29, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #11,533 of 12,477
I've heard some comments suggesting the Yggy sounds better from its balanced outputs. Being single-ended I'm curious as to the difference from those that have experience with both outputs..
I think that is the general consensus on the Yggy A2/OG. From what I’ve read, the LIM is “less different” when switching between the balanced and single-ended outputs. I have the A2 and have the XLR outputs going to my solid-state amp and the RCA output going to my tube amp. Both sound great, so I wouldn’t be too concerned.

Aug 29, 2023 at 1:50 AM Post #11,535 of 12,477
The og a2 sounds great from both outputs. I would be more concerned about varience on your amps circuitry as opposed to the output on the yggy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back