Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 31, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #10,876 of 12,283
Hmm...

The LiM still has that "Moffat bass," and might even be more textured.

I like to think of the OG as slightly more U-shaped (accentuated bass and sparkle), while the LiM is slightly more tilted up on the dark side (bass and mids), if that makes sense.

Here's the fact that swayed me:
I tend to rotate gear a lot, and it's much easier to build a system around the LiM than it is to build around the OG imo. The LiM is more "reference" but in a good way (unlike some reference gear being dry and boring). It's the most musical in the sense that it lets the music do its thing rather than trying to be bombastic with everything.
Having recognized that, I figured I may as well build and tune my system around that so that I have more options rather than feel restricted to warm gear in order to potentially tame down the OG.
Thanks a lot man. That makes it easier to put together a system. I know all too well what it’s like investing in a system with all it’s known flaws and having to spend a bunch of money tweaking it to dial it in.

Feb 4, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #10,877 of 12,283
I had the Morpheus too. I just think the Yggy has a lot more treble detail and it’s more forward. I had the GS and I really liked it too. It made even unresolving cans sound good. I don’t want a really dark setup by going with LiM, warm DAC and warm HPs so I think I will do the opposite and go with MiL and warm amp.
I would really would not call the Og forward so much as I would call it more accurate at least in my set up.I use a burson ha-160 amp. I also have a rogue RH-5 hybrid amp . I have made a fair amount of changes in my set in the last six months including the Og after I had also bought the morpheus about a month before I bought the Og. I was using the Rogue RH-5 as my preferred amp but after all the changes I landed up going back to the Burson HA-160 as my preferred listening amp. That surprised me I think it is the class A sound of the Burson as opposed to the class AB operation of the Rogue RH-5 that I prefer. My next upgrade I am thinking of a class A headphone amp of higher power. The Burson HA-160 plays surprisingly loud for its modest power rating and handles some pretty difficult loads. But I am thinking maybe the Pathos hybrid Class A amp. Plus it looks gorgeuss in the high gloss red Ferari finish.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #10,878 of 12,283
Yes, the GS was more dryer and more etched in the treble. Even after warming up for 3 weeks. Sounds like the OG has the most detail aside from the MIL.

I’m really at a standstill. On one hand I love a nice relaxed listening experience but I also like the good slam that I know the Yggy can provide. That being said, the GS had more than enough slam for me so I think if the LiM is similar in ways than I won’t have any issue. I’m at the point of just getting the LiM and putting a Loki behind it should I need a little more of a bass shelf.

I’m currently running all Single Ended which I know the OG sounds worse out of but I also know that I need balanced because the LCD-4 is very power hungry.

How would you describe the mids on the OG? I like a slightly set of balanced/ tiny bit forward mids but not as forward as say a B2.
Just curious but what power cord are you using on the Schiit dac? I use an older Harmonic Tech AC-11 on my Og and It is not dry sounding in my set up.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #10,879 of 12,283
Just curious but what power cord are you using on the Schiit dac? I use an older Harmonic Tech AC-11 on my Og and It is not dry sounding in my set up.
The GS is the dry sounding one - the GS was an A1 Yggy with the OGs firmware.

Feb 4, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #10,882 of 12,283
In my experience, Pi2AES AES, even with the default SMPS, but even more with a Sbooster LPS, is clearer, more incisive, than Unison USB from a decent source, Allo USBridge with Sbooster LPS.
Do you disagree with the consensus on SBAF that Yggy with Unison prefers excellent USB to excellent AES? They seem to think that USB is Yggy's best designed input.

Feb 4, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #10,883 of 12,283
Do you disagree with the consensus on SBAF that Yggy with Unison prefers excellent USB to excellent AES? They seem to think that USB is Yggy's best designed input.
AES is a more direct connection to the board. It goes AES > BNC > Coax and USB. Unison might get closer to BNC but AES is the best input.

Feb 4, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #10,884 of 12,283
AES is a more direct connection to the board. It goes AES > BNC > Coax and USB. Unison might get closer to BNC but AES is the best input.
You did not answer my question.
I knew all that already. But in the particular case of the Yggdrasil with Unison, SBAF members have found that very good USB sources outscale what is possible with the off-the-shelf AES implementation in the Yggdrasil.
I was curious to know Earnmyturns response specifically as he is a frequent SBAF poster who I know

Feb 4, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #10,885 of 12,283
I knew all that already. But in the particular case of the Yggdrasil with Unison, SBAF members have found that very good USB sources outscale what is possible with the off-the-shelf AES implementation in the Yggdrasil.
I was curious to know Earnmyturns response specifically as he is a frequent SBAF poster who I know
Well imo it’s not. I had the GS with Unison that I self installed and while it was very good AES had better soundstage and detail.

If you’re only trying to get a specific users opinion you should probably PM then instead…

Feb 4, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #10,886 of 12,283
By no means consensus, both views have substantial support from well-regarded members. It depends on the exact sources too. In my case (as evaluated by a discriminating listener who did not know which sources were being used): Auralic Aries Femto AES < Allo USBridge + Sbooster LPS < Pi2AES AES + Meanwell SMPS < Pi2AES AES + Sbooster LPS.

Feb 4, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #10,887 of 12,283

I have a little experience in this area. I have an Yggdrasil with the analog upgrade and Unison, and there was a dramatic improvement in all parameters especially resolution, clarity and holographic imaging when I installed a digital-to-digital converter (Denafrips Iris) processing the USB input, utilizing the Iris's AES output to go to the Yggy. It was really a sort of transformation, the removal of a bucketload of low-level digital "grunge" that I had kind of gotten used to. The magnitude of this improvement is probably due to having a USB source of mediocre quality (Galaxy S4 tablet running the UAPP android USB app), so that a superb dedicated DDC made a tremendous difference. Of course the comparison of the Unison mod with the Iris is unfair since the Iris is after all a dedicated separate component.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #10,888 of 12,283
By no means consensus, both views have substantial support from well-regarded members. It depends on the exact sources too. In my case (as evaluated by a discriminating listener who did not know which sources were being used): Auralic Aries Femto AES < Allo USBridge + Sbooster LPS < Pi2AES AES + Meanwell SMPS < Pi2AES AES + Sbooster LPS.
Huh. Very interesting, thanks. I do think that we have done USB a disservice in the past by comparing mediocre or poor USB sources with better sources of other kinds. I think that Marv is right to point this out, and his opinion that Unison from a PCIe usb card sounded better than Pi2AES was both intriguing yet believable.
Still, you are right that it is not yet consensus. Thanks for answering me!
I have a little experience in this area. I have an Yggdrasil with the analog upgrade and Unison, and there was a dramatic improvement in all parameters especially resolution, clarity and holographic imaging when I installed a digital-to-digital converter (Denafrips Iris) processing the USB input, utilizing the Iris's AES output to go to the Yggy. It was really a sort of transformation, the removal of a bucketload of low-level digital "grunge" that I had kind of gotten used to. The magnitude of this improvement is probably due to having a USB source of mediocre quality (Galaxy S4 tablet running the UAPP android USB app), so that a superb dedicated DDC made a tremendous difference. Of course the comparison of the Unison mod with the Iris is unfair since the Iris is after all a dedicated separate component.
Exactly. I am looking for apples-to-apples comparisons. This means good USB sources vs good AES sources for Yggy.

Feb 5, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #10,889 of 12,283
Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #10,890 of 12,283

Users who are viewing this thread

Back