Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 14, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #10,846 of 12,283
Damn, so do any of these versions sound more analytical, dry? From what I’ve read the A2 sounds like a suped up BF2 which is nice but not what I’m looking for tonality wise.
1642200812742.png

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #10,847 of 12,283
Wow these graphs are surprising. I know most people say the Gumby A2 and Yggy were close but I didn’t run into this in my experience. I found the GS to be overall more detailed than the Gumby A2 and about more or less same engagement with maybe the Gumby being a little bit better. I found most Schiit MB DACs to have some level of haze preventing TOTL black background but very good. I’ve always wanted to hear what people were talking about with the Gumby A1 though even though it had less technicalities which your graph seems to agree with.

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #10,848 of 12,283
Wow these graphs are surprising. I know most people say the Gumby A2 and Yggy were close but I didn’t run into this in my experience. I found the GS to be overall more detailed than the Gumby A2 and about more or less same engagement with maybe the Gumby being a little bit better. I found most Schiit MB DACs to have some level of haze preventing TOTL black background but very good. I’ve always wanted to hear what people were talking about with the Gumby A1 though even though it had less technicalities which your graph seems to agree with.
Yeah. I was surprised to see how close the Gungnir was to the Yggdrasil. I ended up opting for the LiM since I had experience with the BF2 and loved the tonality. I agree with that part of the graph saying that the LiM is basically an improved BF2. I think the DAC you are looking for would be the A2. All of the MiL reviews I've seen aren't super positive, but I have no experience with it.

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #10,849 of 12,283
Yeah. I was surprised to see how close the Gungnir was to the Yggdrasil. I ended up opting for the LiM since I had experience with the BF2 and loved the tonality. I agree with that part of the graph saying that the LiM is basically an improved BF2. I think the DAC you are looking for would be the A2. All of the MiL reviews I've seen aren't super positive, but I have no experience with it.

Makes me regret selling my GS it was a heck of a deal. Thanks for the comparisons.

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #10,850 of 12,283
I also recently switched from BF2 to LIM. I hear greater distance between the BF2 and LIM than the graph implies. In particular, I think the detail of the LIM is much more evident compared to the BF2 as much as I liked the BF2.

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #10,851 of 12,283
Damn, so do any of these versions sound more analytical, dry? From what I’ve read the A2 sounds like a suped up BF2 which is nice but not what I’m looking for tonality wise.
I just went from a BF2 to an A2 and I wouldn’t call the A2 a souped up BF2. From that graph, I guess maybe the LiM is, though but graphs don’t equal sound so be careful interpreting it. Anyways, all my ears can tell you is that maybe they have a similar Schiit R2R presentation but the A2 is much, much more detailed (the plankton column reflects that). Like exceptionally so. I’d love to hear a LiM to compare but I wanted to detail for the Stax. The Aeolus and Teaks respond to it well, too, though on my tubes. So it’s really flexible, at least for me.

I previously had the BF2 for dynamics and the D90 for Stax, but the A2 has the best of each and none of the downsides.

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #10,852 of 12,283
I just went from a BF2 to an A2 and I wouldn’t call the A2 a souped up BF2. From that graph, I guess maybe the LiM is, though but graphs don’t equal sound so be careful interpreting it. Anyways, all my ears can tell you is that maybe they have a similar Schiit R2R presentation but the A2 is much, much more detailed (the plankton column reflects that). Like exceptionally so. I’d love to hear a LiM to compare but I wanted to detail for the Stax. The Aeolus and Teaks respond to it well, too, though on my tubes. So it’s really flexible, at least for me.

I previously had the BF2 for dynamics and the D90 for Stax, but the A2 has the best of each and none of the downsides.
I have not heard an A2 but if @GoldenOne in one of his videos described the BF2 as a “punk rock” DAC and having owned a BF2, I’d describe the LIM as foregoing a bit of spitting into the crowd, “super fuzz big muff” in exchange for noticeable detail increase without sacrificing the timbre aspects of the BF2 which I enjoyed. Sounds like A2 / OG takes the detail up another level from that.

Jan 14, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #10,853 of 12,283
I only ever heard my A1, but I've heard that the MIL is very clean and analytical, the OG is very detailed and open, and the LIM is very cohesive and musical.

Jan 14, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #10,854 of 12,283
I only ever heard my A1, but I've heard that the MIL is very clean and analytical, the OG is very detailed and open, and the LIM is very cohesive and musical.
Really wish they had kept the naming convention simple

Jan 14, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #10,855 of 12,283
Really wish they had kept the naming convention simple
Just pronouce the acronyms as "lim", "mil", and "og" and the naming conventions make as much sense as the rest of the line, haha.

(Has a single soul purchased an MIL? But for Jason himself, it seems almost reviled)

Jan 15, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #10,856 of 12,283
The A1 and MiL are probably what your looking for, I wouldn't call them analytical but to me they were less warm and more detailed then the A2 and LiM

Jan 16, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #10,857 of 12,283
I just received (yesterday, setup today) my Yggdrasil A2 with Unison USB upgrade.
(Like an idiot I included power cord on send out and didn't get one back so had to scrounge around to find one).
I have no idea about quality difference as I made multiple changes in setup (prior Ragnarok v1 running KEF LS50's).
Now running Yggdrasil via RCA out to Emotiva DC-1 DAC/pre-amp driving Emotiva powered speakers (Airmotiv 4s).
However, the USB switching speed seems improved. Glad to have it back.

Jan 16, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #10,858 of 12,283
I just received (yesterday, setup today) my Yggdrasil A2 with Unison USB upgrade.
(Like an idiot I included power cord on send out and didn't get one back so had to scrounge around to find one).
I have no idea about quality difference as I made multiple changes in setup (prior Ragnarok v1 running KEF LS50's).
Now running Yggdrasil via RCA out to Emotiva DC-1 DAC/pre-amp driving Emotiva powered speakers (Airmotiv 4s).
Are you comparing the Rag/Kef to the new stuff or is it gone? I guess any comparison would be difficult since the Airmotivs are active.

Jan 16, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #10,859 of 12,283
Are you comparing the Rag/Kef to the new stuff or is it gone? I guess any comparison would be difficult since the Airmotivs are active.
Variables:
1) Moved from office location to WFH office
2) Changed speakers, height, etc
3) Changed From A) Yggdrasil A2 / Ragnarok v1 to B) Yggdrasil A2/Unison upgrade w/ Emotiva DC-1 DAC/pre-amp

So, I don't think I can provide much A/B'ing. My KEF LS50's are boxed up, so won't get them out for a while until solidify office/house arrangements.

Jan 17, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #10,860 of 12,283
I use to have the Emotiva airmotiv 4s on my desk top set up before I upgraded to the Elac Naviis Actives. They were pretty nice especially after I upgraded the fuse on the Airmotiv 4s to the hifi tuning supreme fuse. The upgrade was anything but subtle. The Emotivas Sound quality improved markedly and the noise floor dropped noticeably. Low level info improved a lot as well. I had the Emotivas for a long time. They hit way above their price point. I use to have the Airmotiv 6s as well they were really good speakers with the fuse upgrade as well. Of course the Elac Naaviis is in another league but the sixes were definitely no slouches in their own right. I am surprised that Emotiva discontinued their active speaker line. Too bad they really were excellent speakers for the extremely reasonable price. One thing they had that was nice that you were not stuck with an inboard dac that would eventually become obsolete.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back