Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Feb 4, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #10,321 of 12,405
I am highly considering these choices for usb and I think I may give the pi2aes a try as well but I am a little nervous about putting it together and setting it up right.

so new it's between the usbridge, the sonore microrendu, and the SOtM sMs-200. The sonore ultrarendu is very tempting but I don't know if I want to go all out yet with my very first one before I'm more familiar with it.

How much improvement would there be using a ultrarendu vs the usbridge with the shanti power supply? $600 difference seems like a big jump up. Obviously I don't want to hold back the yggy and all the higher end gear I'm using(Aegir, Freya+, Ampsandsound Kenzie encore, Klipsche rp-8000's, and Zmf Verite and Autuer) so maybe it would be worth it for me? Or maybe I should start small and see what I like and need before I jump in the deep end?

Anyone with any first hand experience owning two or more of these used with the yggy would be nice to hear from you before I press the order button. I would like to use tidal and I have a bunch of music files I can put on an external drive for playback. I usually use jriver from my pc. Can I use my pc/jriver in conjunction with these usb devices? or are these completely replacing the need for a pc/jriver and I just use an external for music storage?

and for the PI2AES, is the sbaf thread the best info for putting it together and using it with the yggy?

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #10,322 of 12,405
I am highly considering these choices for usb and I think I may give the pi2aes a try as well but I am a little nervous about putting it together and setting it up right.

so new it's between the usbridge, the sonore microrendu, and the SOtM sMs-200. The sonore ultrarendu is very tempting but I don't know if I want to go all out yet with my very first one before I'm more familiar with it.

How much improvement would there be using a ultrarendu vs the usbridge with the shanti power supply? $600 difference seems like a big jump up. Obviously I don't want to hold back the yggy and all the higher end gear I'm using(Aegir, Freya+, Ampsandsound Kenzie encore, Klipsche rp-8000's, and Zmf Verite and Autuer) so maybe it would be worth it for me? Or maybe I should start small and see what I like and need before I jump in the deep end?

Anyone with any first hand experience owning two or more of these used with the yggy would be nice to hear from you before I press the order button. I would like to use tidal and I have a bunch of music files I can put on an external drive for playback. I usually use jriver from my pc. Can I use my pc/jriver in conjunction with these usb devices? or are these completely replacing the need for a pc/jriver and I just use an external for music storage?

and for the PI2AES, is the sbaf thread the best info for putting it together and using it with the yggy?
I’d say once you have a device that was purpose built for audio, the differences between higher priced options would be small (but still worth it to some)

An Allo USBridge signature with Shanti PSU will sound a lot better than straight out Pi3/4 with cheap psu.

The best part about the Pi based steamers (which includes the Allo USBridge and of course the pi2aes) is you can pick and choose your OS, so you can pick the features that work best for you. If you’re new to this the RopieeXL OS is a good place to start. It accepts Roon,upnp,Spotify, and AirPlay.

I haven’t used jriver but I know on Audirvana you can select any upnp device as an output. Also there’s apps to control upnp on both iOS and Android.

Basically any of these solutions work as a place to send music to but you still need something (phone or computer) to control what’s playing.

Feb 4, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #10,323 of 12,405

I’ve only used one so I can’t compare 2 or more products. I have been using a micro rendu with the SGC power supply for a couple years with Yggy (via USB). In my system, I definitely noticed an improvement from streaming over WiFi to my laptop or phone via USB to Yggy. Like you I was reluctant to shell out the extra cash for ultra rendu, although most reviews I read claime the upgrade and $$ was worth it. I’ve been happy with the micro rendu without an itch to replace it or upgrade. It is gives you lots of options for listening to files from a server or networked drive, steaming via Tidal or Qobuz, Roon endpoint, etc. You should be able to configure JRiver for it.

Good luck!

Feb 4, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #10,324 of 12,405
My main question is will I benefit from using the pi4's usb into unison over the pi2aes?
In my experience, Pi2AES AES edges out Unison USB from a pretty good USB source (custom circuitry, linear power supply). Not a big difference, bug consistently noticeable: more incisive, more present.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #10,325 of 12,405

It is relatively easy to set up, the physical part is simpler then the average LEGO set, the software part too if you follow the instructions.
It took me less than an hour to set it up and get it running.
And it is the best sounding source for my Yggdrasil GS I have heard so far, including Unison USB as a second, and coming from a purpose built Audio-PC with an 800 dollar Lynx AES-16e card.
After hearing the Pi I can finally say that I am there - that this is more than good enough and that I have no further need to look for more expensive solutions - it is that good, and it should be when you consider how it is built.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #10,326 of 12,405
ok, I think that was the convincing I needed! Thanks. So to be clear, you both are saying you think the pi2aes is better in sound quality than usbridge, microrendu, etc with the yggy? Even with their upgraded power supplies? I guess I should stop messing around thinking about it and worrying and just get down to it.

Well then, I'll start with the Pi2AES and see how I like it. And then later probably compare to another one of the recommendations from all you nice folks here to see what I really like. I do want to hear what unison can do from a better source than my laptop with crap power supply.

thanks so much for the in depth help. IDK why but it was a bit too confusing and annoying trying to wrap my head around this and make a decision here.

ok now I'm out and will report back once I have the whole PI2AES up and running.

Oh one more thing that is still bugging me. Do I need a fancy or specific AES cord going from the pi2aes to the yggy? How about the ethernet cable from the network to the pi2aes? or will any cheap ones do just fine?

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #10,327 of 12,405
I'm wondering, is it a waste to use the Yggy with a single-ended amp?

I've started getting curious about various different high-end tube amps, and it seems there are some very nice options such as the Woo WA5LE that give you XLR inputs but run single-ended. Or the DNA stratus which seems to be single-ended input, balanced out. It seems to me like the cleanest way to do it would be just to keep it balanced all the way through the chain. But, there are others who say that the Woo WA5, for example, is so amazing that it doesn't even matter. Thoughts?

Feb 5, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #10,328 of 12,405
I'm wondering, is it a waste to use the Yggy with a single-ended amp?

I've started getting curious about various different high-end tube amps, and it seems there are some very nice options such as the Woo WA5LE that give you XLR inputs but run single-ended. Or the DNA stratus which seems to be single-ended input, balanced out. It seems to me like the cleanest way to do it would be just to keep it balanced all the way through the chain. But, there are others who say that the Woo WA5, for example, is so amazing that it doesn't even matter. Thoughts?

Short answer - no.
The slightly more complicated - yes balanced sounds a bit better, a tad more incisive, slightly sharper transients and a bit more gain.
Solution? This baby here with a pair of Neutrik XLR to RCA adapters:
https://www.radialeng.com/product/twin-iso
1612550071515.png

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #10,330 of 12,405
ok, I think that was the convincing I needed! Thanks. So to be clear, you both are saying you think the pi2aes is better in sound quality than usbridge, microrendu, etc with the yggy? Even with their upgraded power supplies? I guess I should stop messing around thinking about it and worrying and just get down to it.
It's my experience. I did not compare all of them side-by-side, but pairwise following my gear upgrades:

microrendu with ultracap power supply into gen 5 USB < Auralic Aries Femto AES < USBridge (original) with Sbooster LPS into Unison < Pi2AES+Pi3B AES with Meanwell SMPS.

Oh one more thing that is still bugging me. Do I need a fancy or specific AES cord going from the pi2aes to the yggy? How about the ethernet cable from the network to the pi2aes? or will any cheap ones do just fine?
I use Blue Jeans Canare L-4E6S Star Quad Balanced Audio Cable with Neutrik XLR connectors. I also use Blue Jeans CAT 6 patch cables for connecting my two Pi2AES systems to network switches. I don't have any reason to try anything fancier.

Correction: @SnowRang3r kindly pointed out that this is wrong. Late evening with a wee dram in my hand I misread the original post as asking for balanced audio cables, rather than AES3/EBU digital cables Pi2AES>Yggdrasil. I use these.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 4:40 AM Post #10,331 of 12,405
would using the freya+'s balanced in and se out replace the need for that?
right now I have my yggy hooked up to the freya+ via balanced xlr and then from the freya to the aegir cia rca SE. Will I benefit from such a device instead of using the freya+ for that task?

Yes, and no you wont need an aditional XLR to RCA transformer since the Freya is doing that allready.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #10,332 of 12,405
It's my experience. I did not compare all of them side-by-side, but pairwise following my gear upgrades:

microrendu with ultracap power supply into gen 5 USB < Auralic Aries Femto AES < USBridge (original) with Sbooster LPS into Unison < Pi2AES+Pi3B AES with Meanwell SMPS.

I use Blue Jeans Canare L-4E6S Star Quad Balanced Audio Cable with Neutrik XLR connectors. I also use Blue Jeans CAT 6 patch cables for connecting my two Pi2AES systems to network switches. I don't have any reason to try anything fancier.
I don’t think the Canare L-4E6S is recommended for AES as it’s not the 110ohm spec. Right on the Bluejeanscable site they say they recommend the Belden 1800F for AES.

Feb 6, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #10,334 of 12,405
I don’t think the Canare L-4E6S is recommended for AES as it’s not the 110ohm spec. Right on the Bluejeanscable site they say they recommend the Belden 1800F for AES.
Argh, I misread the original post, I was thinking about balanced downstream from Yggdrasil, where I use those cables (should double check my late evening posts). You are totally right, here's what I use for Pi2AES>Yggdrasil.

Feb 10, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #10,335 of 12,405
Is anybody tuning in to Mike's broadcast later? I wonder if we'll get to hear about an upgrade to the Yggdrasil (i.e. Analog 3).

In any case, I hope that they get restocked soon. I've been waiting on an Analog 2 for quite some time now - I've been contemplating if I should just get a GS instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back