Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Feb 11, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #10,336 of 12,344
Is anybody tuning in to Mike's broadcast later? I wonder if we'll get to hear about an upgrade to the Yggdrasil (i.e. Analog 3).
Yeah, it was a good watch. I literally went to go ask the question about A3 boards, and I was a second too late as the stream ended. :frowning2:

Oh well, maybe by the next stream they'll have more details to share anyways.

I've picked up an Yggy GS & Pi2AES and it's been great. Works just like you'd expect with Roon. I'm using a BJC (Belden 1800F) cable which are high quality and suited for AES.

The only odd thing about the Pi2AES (at least w/ Roon) is that it doesn't seem to close the output signal to the DAC when it's no longer playing. This isn't a problem at all, but as you know, the Yggy's relays and interface stay engaged because it's only "paused". This is different to, say, a Chromecast Audio via Optical when disconnecting, as it halts the signal and Yggy will "disengage." Again, not a big deal, but the OCD in me wished it would follow this same behavior when not in use.

it is that good, and it should be when you consider how it is built.
Agreed, it sounds great. What do you mean by how it is built, tho? I wasn't able to find too many details about the design, architecture, build process, etc. If you found some juicy stuff, please do share. :)

Feb 16, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #10,337 of 12,344
Yeah, it was a good watch. I literally went to go ask the question about A3 boards, and I was a second too late as the stream ended. :frowning2:

Oh well, maybe by the next stream they'll have more details to share anyways.

I've picked up an Yggy GS & Pi2AES and it's been great. Works just like you'd expect with Roon. I'm using a BJC (Belden 1800F) cable which are high quality and suited for AES.
I don't think that any Analog 3 boards will be coming anytime soon, at least not within the next few months, I feel. Schiit has a full plate on their hands right now - Urd, Lokiest, dealing with the AKM issue - so anything related to their TOTL units (Yggdrasil, Ragnarok, Gungnir) will probably be pushed to the back pages. Plus, the most frequent changes are usually reserved for their best-selling units, such as the Magni and the Modi; and now, the Modius and Magnius.

In any case, once the Analog 3 board is released, GS owners will get to upgrade to the latest spec. Hence, the case for the Yggdrasil GS is made even more compelling. I've been sitting on the fence on an Yggdrasil for some time now; it doesn't help that the Analog 2 is backordered until the mid of March. However, the GS is ready-to-buy, at the moment. Decisions, decisions... :thinking:

Feb 17, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #10,338 of 12,344
I don't think that any Analog 3 boards will be coming anytime soon, at least not within the next few months, I feel. Schiit has a full plate on their hands right now - Urd, Lokiest, dealing with the AKM issue - so anything related to their TOTL units (Yggdrasil, Ragnarok, Gungnir) will probably be pushed to the back pages. Plus, the most frequent changes are usually reserved for their best-selling units, such as the Magni and the Modi; and now, the Modius and Magnius.

In any case, once the Analog 3 board is released, GS owners will get to upgrade to the latest spec. Hence, the case for the Yggdrasil GS is made even more compelling. I've been sitting on the fence on an Yggdrasil for some time now; it doesn't help that the Analog 2 is backordered until the mid of March. However, the GS is ready-to-buy, at the moment. Decisions, decisions... :thinking:
I have a Yggdrasil A2, non-Unison board.
If I didn't have it I would jump on a Yggdrasil GS with planned A3 upgrade in later 2021. Great idea.

Feb 17, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #10,339 of 12,344
Hi all, I've just received a reply from Schiit regarding the Yggdrasil GS. The response doesn't look very promising, though.

Specifically, I wanted to confirm the viability of upgrading the Yggdrasil GS, before committing to a purchase. I think this will be helpful for prospective (and current) GS owners, too.

Anyway, I've replied to them. I'll update the thread once I hear from them. :)

1613589936718.png

Feb 17, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #10,340 of 12,344
Hi all, I've just received a reply from Schiit regarding the Yggdrasil GS. The response doesn't look very promising, though.

Specifically, I wanted to confirm the viability of upgrading the Yggdrasil GS, before committing to a purchase. I think this will be helpful for prospective (and current) GS owners, too.

Anyway, I've replied to them. I'll update the thread once I hear from them. :)

1613589936718.png

Hmm... I have a feeling the Customer Service rep is trying to say that you can't just purchase a GS and get an upgrade all in one swoop to try and save some cash on a standard Yggy.

Maybe Jason can chime in here to clarify if a future "A3" upgrade would be applicable to existing Yggy GS owners.

Feb 17, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #10,341 of 12,344
Hmm... I have a feeling the Customer Service rep is trying to say that you can't just purchase a GS and get an upgrade all in one swoop to try and save some cash on a standard Yggy.

Maybe Jason can chime in here to clarify if a future "A3" upgrade would be applicable to existing Yggy GS owners.
Yes, now that you mention this, it does appear that his answer was framed in that context.

In any case, I've run the numbers, and the cost of buying a GS, and potentially upgrading to Analog 2 and Unison USB is actually the same -

Yggdrasil GS: $1,599
Unison USB: $200
Analog 2: $650
Total: $2,449

The total cost is identical to a brand-new Yggdrasil Analog 2 (with Unison USB). Hence, I'm not sure why Schiit won't allow GS owners to perform either upgrade; after all, there aren't any savings to be had. It'll be good if Schiit could clarify this, since someone who owns a GS might decide, down the road, that they'd want an upgrade, and thus, they'll fork out the extra $850 to bring it up to full spec (essentially, paying the same amount, or even more, if shipping is included).

Feb 17, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #10,342 of 12,344
Yes, now that you mention this, it does appear that his answer was framed in that context.

In any case, I've run the numbers, and the cost of buying a GS, and potentially upgrading to Analog 2 and Unison USB is actually the same -

Yggdrasil GS: $1,599
Unison USB: $200
Analog 2: $650
Total: $2,449

The total cost is identical to a brand-new Yggdrasil Analog 2 (with Unison USB). Hence, I'm not sure why Schiit won't allow GS owners to perform either upgrade; after all, there aren't any savings to be had. It'll be good if Schiit could clarify this, since someone who owns a GS might decide, down the road, that they'd want an upgrade, and thus, they'll fork out the extra $850 to bring it up to full spec (essentially, paying the same amount, or even more, if shipping is included).
This was how I faceters factored in my decision when I bought a GS a couple months ago.
I am content with running used A1 boards for awhile until the next upgrade comes out.

If I had gone with the A2 version, I would probably upgrade to the future update anyways. So not only would this cost more for me in the long run, it's technically better for the environment too.

Obviously, we don't know when an "A3" will land (tho, Mike made it sound like it could be a possibility for later this year), and I'm okay with enjoying the A1 until then. :)

Feb 17, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #10,343 of 12,344
I've received an update from Schiit.

This is a potential cause for concern for Yggdrasil GS owners. If it is non-upgradeable, you are essentially stuck with the Analog 1 + USB Gen 5 boards for life, unless you are willing or able to perform the upgrades on your own (I am not that competent, though).

It'll be good if Jason or Mike could comment on this? Thanks so much! :)

@Jason Stoddard @Baldr (I'd appreciate the help!)

1613592289271.png

Feb 17, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #10,344 of 12,344
I've received a "final" reply from the representative at Schiit.

According to him, the Yggdrasil GS is non-upgradeable.

For anyone who's looking to buy a GS, or is a current owner, do take note. :)

1613592804492.png

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #10,345 of 12,344
information seems different vs what i have seen. I know there are GS owners who have the unison upgrade, and have seen emails where it has been stated in the case of an A3 upgrade being available a GS will be available to have the upgrades performed. There is nothing inherently different about the GS vs the A1. Its just a different controller chip or something (btw if you have an A1 you can actually order this from schiit) and nothing about it makes it specially not available for upgrades from a hardware standpoint. of course schiit can refuse to do the upgrades.

Let me see if I can get a screen shot of the email stating if there is a future A3 board, that the GS would be available for upgrades.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #10,346 of 12,344
1613598504486.png

If they are changing their stance it kind of sucks for people who bought thinking they could upgrade. Just wanted to show that I was not just making up that the GS can be upgraded if there were future revisions. I also know 2 people personally who have the unison upgrade on their GS. ordered and installed by themselves.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #10,348 of 12,344
Thanks for finding that note. This was my impression as well.

I'm guessing there may be some miscommunication with the CS reps, made more confusing by the fact that we're speculating on an upgrade that hasn't been announced yet (let alone communicated to their staff). Lol.

Wellp, sounds like another live Schiit Stream is in order. :wink: Kidding aside, I do look forward to any announcements around this topic, so I'll be keeping my ear to the ground with their blogs.

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #10,349 of 12,344
I've received a "final" reply from the representative at Schiit.

According to him, the Yggdrasil GS is non-upgradeable.

For anyone who's looking to buy a GS, or is a current owner, do take note. :)

1613592804492.png

I believe the reason the Yggdrasil GS exists is because Schiit had a bunch of used A1 boards lying around after performing A2 upgrades and decided to make the GS to recycle those A1 boards. It seems like it would defeat the purpose of recycling them if they allowed them to be sent back for upgrade. Remember GS stands for garage sale.

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #10,350 of 12,344
1613598504486.png
If they are changing their stance it kind of sucks for people who bought thinking they could upgrade. Just wanted to show that I was not just making up that the GS can be upgraded if there were future revisions. I also know 2 people personally who have the unison upgrade on their GS. ordered and installed by themselves.

You answered your own question. Just order Unison for self install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back