Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Feb 2, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #10,306 of 12,335
Out of curiosity, are Yggdrasil GS owners entitled to upgrades to future Analog boards? (i.e. Analog 1 to Analog 3+)

I've always been under the impression that the Yggdrasil GS is a "final" product - it can't be upgraded to the Analog 2 spec.

Correct me if I'm wrong? Thanks! :)

Feb 2, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #10,307 of 12,335
Out of curiosity, are Yggdrasil GS owners entitled to upgrades to future Analog boards? (i.e. Analog 1 to Analog 3+)

I've always been under the impression that the Yggdrasil GS is a "final" product - it can't be upgraded to the Analog 2 spec.

Correct me if I'm wrong? Thanks! :)
I had a friend who emailed schiit to confirm, and the ygg GS can be upgraded in the event of a new board coming out. its just not allowed to be upgraded to A2.

Feb 2, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #10,308 of 12,335
I had a friend who emailed schiit to confirm, and the ygg GS can be upgraded in the event of a new board coming out. its just not allowed to be upgraded to A2.
Ahhh, I see. Thanks.

That being the case, the Yggdrasil GS is a fantastic bargain, and should be a top choice for anyone seeking an Yggy - especially if they're not planning to use it via USB.

Feb 2, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #10,309 of 12,335
It will not bother me 'even if' my Yggdrasil 1 cannot be upgraded at all. I make a conscious decision not to upgrade because I like what I'm hearing now and with a Schiit Eitr, I have no problems using USB.

Feb 3, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #10,310 of 12,335
Hey guys...I took a break from the audio hobby for a while and now I am back in. I currently own a Gungnir MB with USB 5...how would that compare to the Yggdrasil GS with Analog 1 board and USB 5? If I decide to grab the Yggy...what sound differences should I expect? I love the Gumby btw...thanks!

Feb 3, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #10,311 of 12,335
Hey guys...I took a break from the audio hobby for a while and now I am back in. I currently own a Gungnir MB with USB 5...how would that compare to the Yggdrasil GS with Analog 1 board and USB 5? If I decide to grab the Yggy...what sound differences should I expect? I love the Gumby btw...thanks!
Never heard Gumby myself, but from what others write, I'd expect brighter sound, more air, more transparency. I own Yggy A1 w/unison USB installed.

Feb 3, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #10,312 of 12,335
I directly compared Yggdrasil A1 and Gungnir Multibit and found their sound signatures to be very similar. Yggdrasil is more detailed and dynamic, a bit more "full" sounding to my ears, but the difference is not startling. Yggdrasil stayed in my headphone setup (now upgraded to A2 and Unison - both marked improvements) and Gungnir is in my HT system with a 2-channel source.

Feb 3, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #10,313 of 12,335
Never heard Gumby myself, but from what others write, I'd expect brighter sound, more air, more transparency. I own Yggy A1 w/unison USB installed.

I tend to use fairly "analytical" headphones like the HD800s and HE1000SE. Would the "brightness" you mention come across as detail or would it add a "harshness" that wouldn't be desireable?

Feb 3, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #10,315 of 12,335
I audition Yggdrasil 1 and Ragnarok with HD800 at the shop in 2017 and love it and bought all 3 items that day - never did find it harsh or glaring or I wouldn't have bought all 3 items together. Of the 3, I've sold off Ragnarok, the other 2 remained. Kind of regret selling off Ragnarok honestly even though I prefer tube amps.

Feb 3, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #10,317 of 12,335
So, Gungnir MB USB5 vs Yggdrasil GS should sound pretty similar but the Yggy would add a bit more spacial detail and fullness? Any other thoughts?
I looked in my notes.
Two URLs to look at...
How much better is the Yggdrasil A2 compared to the Gungnir Multibit A1?

2019 Dec 30 - rlow (SBAF)
https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...-multibit-impressions.158/page-51#post-284510

2019 Dec 29 - RobS (SBAF)
https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...-multibit-impressions.158/page-50#post-284248

Also...

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...-multibit-impressions.158/page-35#post-236175
There is info out there, but it's buried in several threads. Here is a quick rundown.

Yggdrasil A2
  1. Slams harder in the bass, that is < 200 Hz.
  2. A little more resolving of low-level information
  3. A little more depth to the stage
  4. A little more precise and focused sounding mids on up
  5. A little more bass < 200Hz - almost organic lows
  6. "sweet" mids
  7. A nick more highs
Gungnir A2
  1. In the universe of DACs I have auditioned and on various systems, neutral sounding.
  2. A little less muddy
  3. A little sharper / less soft in attacks
  4. A nick clearer / less gray
  5. Denser tones and richer timbres
  6. "sweet" upper mids
//////////////////

Feb 3, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #10,318 of 12,335
Love my yggy a2 with unison. I had the Gumby a2 and loved it as well. Going from Gumby to Yggy there was a slight improvement in bass and resolution maybe in the treble region but not huge... Like I said I love both.

In other news
I am very interested in a form of a pi 4 or pi2aes. I really want to see if I will get a difference in sound vs coming straight from my laptop (old laptop that doesn't charge the battery anymore)usb to the yggy a2 unison.

My main question is will I benefit from using the pi4's usb into unison over the pi2aes?

And is there a good premade ready to go solution I don't have to put together and mess with technical details that's not too costly?

And will the schiit cd transport eliminate the need for the pi streamer in any way?

I definitely will be getting the transport and the equalizer whenever that are released.

Just see so many posts about using these pi devices and I'm curious and ready to pull the trigger on one if it's worthy for my setup.

Any recommendations on premade or easy to setup pi solutions for my yggy a2 with unison would be very appreciated.

Feb 3, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #10,319 of 12,335
Love my yggy a2 with unison. I had the Gumby a2 and loved it as well. Going from Gumby to Yggy there was a slight improvement in bass and resolution maybe in the treble region but not huge... Like I said I love both.

In other news
I am very interested in a form of a pi 4 or pi2aes. I really want to see if I will get a difference in sound vs coming straight from my laptop (old laptop that doesn't charge the battery anymore)usb to the yggy a2 unison.

My main question is will I benefit from using the pi4's usb into unison over the pi2aes?

And is there a good premade ready to go solution I don't have to put together and mess with technical details that's not too costly?

And will the schiit cd transport eliminate the need for the pi streamer in any way?

I definitely will be getting the transport and the equalizer whenever that are released.

Just see so many posts about using these pi devices and I'm curious and ready to pull the trigger on one if it's worthy for my setup.

Any recommendations on premade or easy to setup pi solutions for my yggy a2 with unison would be very appreciated.

could always use a pi2aes into the AES input of the Yggy. Many report this sounds pretty good.

If you want a ready to use product that uses USB look at the Sonore MicroRendu or the SOtM sMs-200. Many say you can improve their performance with a higher end power supply

Users who are viewing this thread

Back