Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 13, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #10,292 of 12,196
Dang, I was thinking about sending my other Yggy in for the A2 board, but maybe I'll wait awhile now.

Jan 15, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #10,294 of 12,196
I mean... a new board is a new yggy to me.
Yeah. We might see a new Analog 3 board; however, the idea of an actual "Yggdrasil 2" is definitely not on Schiit's 2021 agenda.

I thought he was talking about the various “side grade” boards he’s mentioned in the past.
From what I gather, Mike was referring to the Analog boards (i.e. Analog 1 and 2). Well, we could be guesstimating here, though. :)

Jan 17, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #10,295 of 12,196
I've considered the Yggdrasil more than once, but went in a slightly different direction. I keep coming back to it though, there's an itch there to scratch.

I'm curious to learn whether that one month burn in is still needed for new units before full SQ is presented?

Jan 17, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #10,296 of 12,196
I've considered the Yggdrasil more than once, but went in a slightly different direction. I keep coming back to it though, there's an itch there to scratch.

I'm curious to learn whether that one month burn in is still needed for new units before full SQ is presented?

For me it was 200-300 hours running a playlist, both for YggyA and YggyB. I've "somewhat" believed in break-in before, but in the past it's been "yeah, I think I hear a difference now". In this case, however, a switch was flipped, taking me instantly to truth of timbre in real space. Never before did a component say "OK, now I'm ready, let's listen to music".

By the way, Yggy backorder status is showing March 15.

Jan 18, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #10,297 of 12,196
For me it was 200-300 hours running a playlist, both for YggyA and YggyB. I've "somewhat" believed in break-in before, but in the past it's been "yeah, I think I hear a difference now". In this case, however, a switch was flipped, taking me instantly to truth of timbre in real space. Never before did a component say "OK, now I'm ready, let's listen to music".

Yes, with the exception of the Modi 3+, all of Schiit's DACs are backordered, although, some of them should be cleared in due time.

I was about to pull the trigger on an Yggdrasil and Ragnarok 2 combo; however, both are backordered at this juncture - the Yggy until Mar 15th, the Raggy until Feb 25th.

Jan 18, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #10,298 of 12,196
I see that Yggy GS is showing available. If one is going to use AES input (file delivery by pi2AES or Dante for example), I consider it a screaming bargain at $1599.

Jan 22, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #10,299 of 12,196

Thanks for that. I have an Adagio in my main system, but am seriously considering putting an Yggdrasil in my headphone system. In black, naturally! :)

Jan 23, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #10,300 of 12,196
Yep. I bought my first Yggy in 2015, and it was a staggering change to how real and alive digital files sounded. So I’ve had five years of sinking deep into every piece of music I’ve got or could stream. Even going to Seattle area meets and listening to other great dacs (Denafrips, Holo Spring, Dangerous Convert2, Hugo, etc.), I’ve had no desire to change.

Same sentiments. Got my Yggdrasil in 2017. Have change numerous amps and headphones but the dac remains. Along with my Rega RP8 with Apheta cartridge, Yggdrasil will remain.

Feb 2, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #10,301 of 12,196
For those who upgraded from the A1 to A2 board, how much difference do you recall noticing?

I've been enjoying the Yggy GS and am looking forward to a potential "A3" upgrade.

Feb 2, 2021 at 4:16 AM Post #10,302 of 12,196
Where I noticed the greatest improvement was in bass delineation, extension and focus.
The original analog section was 'soft(er)' as it reached ever lower in the bottom end.
Also there was a noticeable improvement in the soundstage's spatial cues, which I believe was due to the firmware upgrade.

And to be fair it isn't a huge difference between the A1 and A2 versions, but when a suitable system surrounding this dac is 'up to par' with it, it is a noticeable step up.

And from the initial hints baldr made about future possible upgrades, it sounds more like a 'side-grade' with tonality shifts as the primary focus.
But then this is all speculation, which is one of our favorite pastimes here in forum-land… :wink:

JJ

Feb 2, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #10,303 of 12,196
Where I noticed the greatest improvement was in bass delineation, extension and focus.
The original analog section was 'soft(er)' as it reached ever lower in the bottom end.
Also there was a noticeable improvement in the soundstage's spatial cues, which I believe was due to the firmware upgrade.

And to be fair it isn't a huge difference between the A1 and A2 versions, but when a suitable system surrounding this dac is 'up to par' with it, it is a noticeable step up.

And from the initial hints baldr made about future possible upgrades, it sounds more like a 'side-grade' with tonality shifts as the primary focus.
But then this is all speculation, which is one of our favorite pastimes here in forum-land… :wink:

JJ

Thanks. I'm still deciding whether to upgrade to A2 and Unison USB. Mine is still gen 1 and was bought new in 2017. I have just bought the Bifrost 2 and thought it was a very lovely sounding dac ! Who knows by the time I decide to upgrade my Yggdrasil, it will be A3.

Feb 2, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #10,304 of 12,196
Thanks. I'm still deciding whether to upgrade to A2 and Unison USB. Mine is still gen 1 and was bought new in 2017. I have just bought the Bifrost 2 and thought it was a very lovely sounding dac ! Who knows by the time I decide to upgrade my Yggdrasil, it will be A3.

Actually you can order the A2 firmware from Schiit and install it in your A1 to make it a GS. I highly recommend doing this as you can compare between the difrerent firmwares. I really like the new firmware (thus, GS) compared to the original on my A1.

Feb 2, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #10,305 of 12,196
My upgrade has to be planned carefully from here on. It will be to cull what I have and go for just one dac, one amp and one headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back