Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Feb 9, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #9,826 of 12,235
Dithering 24bit to 20bit would be the only thing I would consider doing in front of the Yggdrasil.
Why? I wouldn't. Let Yggdrasil do what it needs to do - feed it with the native bitrate.

Feb 9, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #9,827 of 12,235
Why? I wouldn't. Let Yggdrasil do what it needs to do - feed it with the native bitrate.

Because I think there might be room for improvement. I personally find my Yggdrasil a little less impressive with hi-res content compared to some other DACs I've owned. It is spectacular with redbook.

Feb 9, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #9,829 of 12,235
I have not noticed that, although 90% of my library is CD rips. If you notice a difference then you notice a difference!

Feb 9, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #9,830 of 12,235
I noticed that too and saw many posts stating the same over the years. Does anyone have an idea why is that?

@alpovs This response of mine is likely to draw the ire of some folks in this thread, so apologies in advance. Nevertheless, your question (to me anyway) is yet another example where measurement data can and should be used. One *possible* explanation as to why the yggdrasil doesn't *appear to* excel at 24bit as it does with 16bit is that the dac chips in the yggdrasil are not rated to 24bit. Yes, I get/have seen the math that has been applied to the two chips (which memory serves are rated to 19 or 21 bit each) where both in combination can produce 24bit. Still....

EDIT: Schiit says that Yggdrasil is a 21 bit DAC. But the DAC chips that they put in the device ( Analog Devices AD5791BRUZ, 2 per channel) are 20 bit with the error of plus-minus 0.5 LSB.

This is the math I'm referring to :

2^20 = 1048576
2* (2^20) = 2* 1048576
2097152 = 2097152
2^21 = 2097152

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #9,831 of 12,235
It is spectacular with redbook.

From Mike Moffat. Lots of info on Yggy and Redbook here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wha...n-robert-hunter.784471/page-656#post-14738871

“The megaburrito filter is unique in the D to A world. It is designed for the reproduction of Redbook material above all else.”

“Our gear is best with a relationship. We do our very best to provide consistent audio reproduction. The clients we enjoy the most are those who understand this. It is designed to be routinely at its best with Redbook CD audio, some 37 years after its introduction. The Redbook digital audio still is the lion’s share of all digital recordings in existence today. All Schiit DACs, and particularly the Multibits are designed to be at their best with Redbook sources. This has nothing to do with “tuning” and everything to do with accurate reproduction. Schiit DACs are not designed to have tinkly highs, wide soundstage, bass slam, etc. They are designed to reproduce a recording which existed as acoustic energy at one time (original recording). The greatest sonic benefit for the most people seeking a reproduction of music. The greatest source of original recordings are Redbook.”

Feb 9, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #9,832 of 12,235
Could you point me to a specific page/page range linking to these experiments that show that it can differentiate time intervals better than measuring instruments can?
That is not what I wrote, but anyway, section 4.6 describes a bunch of phenomena that are beyond the standard audio measurements to represent. Regarding short intervals, Section 2.2, although I think I also read some more recent material elsewhere that I can't recall a citation for right now. TL; DR hearing is sensitive to subtle details that are not captured by the standard averaged measurements. I can't understand why this is hard to grok, it's the nature of measurement for any complex physical or biological system.

Feb 10, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #9,833 of 12,235
@garbulky

So given the back-and-forth posts on this thread of late, and based on your own listening, I ask this question of you with the utmost sincerity.

What are your impressions, opinions, etc. of the Yggdrasil?

Thank you.
Have only heard the Gungnir multibit. Was among the best DAC's I've heard. It lost in finer treble detail and reproduction of the "hall dimensions" when compared to an Emotiva DC-1. However it had a really impressive sense of timing that I can't describe where things just felt "right". So because of the trade-offs I am rating it as good but not better than the DC-1. But since I had a choice, I kept the DC-1 as its usability was much better for my purposes (remote).
I am hoping that an Yggy will produce the detail that I found missing from the Gungnir MB and I am hoping that when I am ready to buy, Jason will start including remotes for input switching.

Feb 10, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #9,834 of 12,235
That is not what I wrote, but anyway, section 4.6 describes a bunch of phenomena that are beyond the standard audio measurements to represent. Regarding short intervals, Section 2.2, although I think I also read some more recent material elsewhere that I can't recall a citation for right now. TL; DR hearing is sensitive to subtle details that are not captured by the standard averaged measurements. I can't understand why this is hard to grok, it's the nature of measurement for any complex physical or biological system.
It's contrary to what I've been exposed to. I prefer to get more concrete detail. For instance "subtle detail not captured by standard average measurements" is too vague for me. What about it is not captured? What part of the frequency range/time domain is an AP machine not able to do?
Hope that makes sense. As far as I know measurement tools are far more precise in timing and dynamic range than the ear is. The ear hears up to 20khz which is 20,000 times a second. The measurement gear can stretch up to multiples of that quite easily in terms of small time. However where they fall flat is that it can't build you a soundstage or describe what the brain perceives. Thanks for the linking. I shall read through it and try to understand what you are getting at.

Feb 10, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #9,837 of 12,235
Have only heard the Gungnir multibit. Was among the best DAC's I've heard. It lost in finer treble detail and reproduction of the "hall dimensions" when compared to an Emotiva DC-1. However it had a really impressive sense of timing that I can't describe where things just felt "right". So because of the trade-offs I am rating it as good but not better than the DC-1. But since I had a choice, I kept the DC-1 as its usability was much better for my purposes (remote).
I am hoping that an Yggy will produce the detail that I found missing from the Gungnir MB and I am hoping that when I am ready to buy, Jason will start including remotes for input switching.
And in the category of to each his own, I have heard three Emotiva DACs and hated the cold, "digital" sound of all of them. If that's your preference then you should avoid multibit dacs.

Concerning audio science, sometimes to understand a subject you need to be educated about it, and discussions on audio forums are not going to get you there. If the science is over your head then you are just like the vast majority of users who simply need to listen to the music and buy what they like. :)

Jason has said multiple times there will never be a remote on Yggdrasil, as you know if you have been paying attention to your own posts on other threads. So don't hold your breath. It's not a preamp.

Feb 10, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #9,838 of 12,235
Because I think there might be room for improvement. I personally find my Yggdrasil a little less impressive with hi-res content compared to some other DACs I've owned. It is spectacular with redbook.
'Spectacular with redbook' is precisely why I love my Yggy A2. I have no interest in any other format!

Feb 10, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #9,839 of 12,235
And in the category of to each his own, I have heard three Emotiva DACs and hated the cold, "digital" sound of all of them. If that's your preference then you should avoid multibit dacs.

Concerning audio science, sometimes to understand a subject you need to be educated about it, and discussions on audio forums are not going to get you there. If the science is over your head then you are just like the vast majority of users who simply need to listen to the music and buy what they like. :)

Jason has said multiple times there will never be a remote on Yggdrasil, as you know if you have been paying attention to your own posts on other threads. So don't hold your breath. It's not a preamp.
I love the tech, measurements and build quality that goes into gear. Though how it sounds is for the most part the arbiter, I still pay attention to the above mentioned stuff. Always curious, and I always expect high quality out of my stuff. I didn't find any digital sound in either the DC-1 or the Gungnir, but I thought the Gungnir MB sounded more "analog" like if you know what I mean, little more like a piece of tape. The DC-1 had a more natural sounding tone in some music, and the Gungnir in some did better. I couldn't give the hat nod to either and I decided based on price and feature.
As for remotes, Jason has been coming around on remotes. He's now considering remotes though he hasn't specifically mentioned the Yggy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back