Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Feb 14, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #9,856 of 12,195
I was pretty happy with the Gen 5 USB. I didn't notice so much of a change, but it might have been from using a separate Mac Mini for audio, resulting in less USB processing, and subsequently less noise generated by the C-Media chip in the Gen 5 unit. I'm sure one of the reasons for creating a custom USB implementation was to reduce internal noise which can result in what seems like brightness or hardness to the sound, so if you're connecting directly to your main computer, I would guess it would be more of an improvement.
Yes, this is it exactly. The first thing I noticed was the hardness/harshness was gone. I didn't even realize it was there until it wasn't. With it gone, the bass was cleaner and the treble was less glaring. I can turn the volume up a few db now and not get discomfort that I sometimes would previously. Some of the details in the music are more apparent now also. Easier to pick out.

With my other setup, I use a Singxer SU1 and convert the USB into I2S and coax SP/DIF. Nice, clean signal. I would say the NUC straight into Yggdrasil via Unison is at about the same level now.

Feb 14, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #9,857 of 12,195
Do you think BNC and Coaxial have the same sound quality on Yggy A2?

I have been using Blue Jeans BNC for years , yesterday I got a Coaxial cable and tried it, the sound is less open than the BNC. Could it be 'burn-in' issue?

Thank you.

Feb 14, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #9,858 of 12,195

I have been using Blue Jeans BNC for years , yesterday I got a Coaxial cable and tried it, the sound is less open than the BNC. Could it be 'burn-in' issue?

Thank you.

I could be misunderstanding and if so please forgive me, but BNC is merely the connector attached to the end of coax. I'm using coax with an RCA connector. I'm aware that BNC connector is supposedly better because of the improved precision (with respect to RCA) in ohmic value, which is supposed to be 75. So the answer to your second question would be no.

Feb 14, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #9,859 of 12,195
I'm sorry for being confusing and thank you for your reply.

What I meant is BNC-BNC digital cable vs RCA-RCA digital coaxial on Yggy. I have been using BNC-BNC digital cable and first tried RCA-RCA digital coaxial and experience the less open sound. I don't know if it is about 'burn-in' issue.

Feb 14, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #9,860 of 12,195

Thank you.
It very well could be a 'burn-in' issue and you will find out as you continue to use the cable.
But a coaxial cable could be a standard audio cable or a 75Ω cable etc. which could affect your results as well.
SPDIF 'likes' a 75Ω rated cable, especially at higher sample rates.
Also be sure to clean the contacts on the cable and it's mating connectors as well.

SPDIF cables, according to some, can be affected by their length as well.
The general rule is to use at least a 1.5m length of cable.
Now whether or not this will be 'an issue' for you is something only you can determine as well.

JJ

Feb 15, 2020 at 1:45 AM Post #9,861 of 12,195
It very well could be a 'burn-in' issue and you will find out as you continue to use the cable.
But a coaxial cable could be a standard audio cable or a 75Ω cable etc. which could affect your results as well.
SPDIF 'likes' a 75Ω rated cable, especially at higher sample rates.
Also be sure to clean the contacts on the cable and it's mating connectors as well.

SPDIF cables, according to some, can be affected by their length as well.
The general rule is to use at least a 1.5m length of cable.
Now whether or not this will be 'an issue' for you is something only you can determine as well.

JJ

I understand about the 75 ohm coax cabling for S/PDIF, but hadn't heard about using at least a 1.5m cable.

Feb 15, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #9,862 of 12,195

Thank you.

When using the coaxial (RCA) cable, does the "buy better gear" light on the yggdrasil turn on (but goes off when using the BNC input)?

Feb 15, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #9,864 of 12,195
The 'theory' is that at ≈1meter (or less) there can be 'early' reflections of the digital signal which can 'complicate' the signal delivery, thus the 1.5meter 'suggestion'.
And 1.5m ≈ 5ft.

JJ

Feb 15, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #9,865 of 12,195
Yes, this is it exactly. The first thing I noticed was the hardness/harshness was gone. I didn't even realize it was there until it wasn't. With it gone, the bass was cleaner and the treble was less glaring. I can turn the volume up a few db now and not get discomfort that I sometimes would previously. Some of the details in the music are more apparent now also. Easier to pick out.

My Yggy A2, fed with 16/44.1 via S/PDIF BNC input, sounds fantastic at high volume levels and there is absolutely no hardness or harshness.
The only thing limiting volume levels is my pain threshold and concern about damaging my hearing, as I can experience concert- like sound levels and realism.:ksc75smile:

The maximum continuous SPL of my ATC SCM 100 ASL speakers is 115dB @ 1 metre!

Feb 15, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #9,866 of 12,195
The 'theory' is that at ≈1meter (or less) there can be 'early' reflections of the digital signal which can 'complicate' the signal delivery, thus the 1.5meter 'suggestion'.
And 1.5m ≈ 5ft.
That's an urban legend. It is technically correct but with proper impedance matching, i.e., 75 Ohm cable, reflections should not occur at all. If they do occur then one is doing something wrong and the cable length might help but a different proper cable would be better.

Feb 15, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #9,867 of 12,195
That's an urban legend. It is technically correct but with proper impedance matching, i.e., 75 Ohm cable, reflections should not occur at all. If they do occur then one is doing something wrong and the cable length might help but a different proper cable would be better.
"Urban legend" is a kind way of putting it. I say audiophoolery.

Feb 15, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #9,868 of 12,195

Not an urban legend. @johnjen is correct. If you search audiogon forum there was a discussion about the optimum cable length by more than one extremely knowledgeable folks (almarg and atmasphere). In addition to a minimum length being detrimental there is also fact supporting that cable lengths should be in certain multiples. I don't profess to be a no-it-all in this regard I'm simply a messenger, but here is a good article supporting JJ's assertion http://www.audiopolitan.com/blog/spdif-does-coaxial-digital-cable-length-matter/

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #9,870 of 12,195
I was pretty happy with the Gen 5 USB. I didn't notice so much of a change, but it might have been from using a separate Mac Mini for audio, resulting in less USB processing, and subsequently less noise generated by the C-Media chip in the Gen 5 unit. I'm sure one of the reasons for creating a custom USB implementation was to reduce internal noise which can result in what seems like brightness or hardness to the sound, so if you're connecting directly to your main computer, I would guess it would be more of an improvement.
I actually tried Mac Mini to see if the usb does improve, and it does seem like there is a difference from my Windows PC usb connection. I would say it's a better positive difference than say Pi2AES (AES, Coax, BNC) or Allo Digi Signature (BNC or Coax). There is more noticible texturing and better separation, and in general sound cleaner. But, with a caveat that the sound seems to sound leaner. In general, sounds seems tighter is the reason for this. I find the lean nature to be Apple's house sound. I've tried Apples phones to ipod touches, which seems to have this clean, lean nature to their sound. The issue i had with Pi2AES was a bit of a roll-off and blendedness up top, and Allo was not much different from Windows PC usb, but both sounded narrower in stage, and I get the same impression to some degree of the Mac Mini usb output.

Is there a difference in way usb is processed for Mac Mini compared to a typical Windows PC? Anybody know?

I'm now kicking myself for not giving Mac a try in the past. Based on my streamer experiences, I know I don't need it. I will go usb.

The issue with Unision I have is being able to AB side by side. I don't trust assessments not done side by side.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back