Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Dec 1, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #9,361 of 12,397
Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #9,362 of 12,397
I use the pl-8c from this series: https://www.furmanpower.com/products/all/component-power/classic-series. Same technology (no PF), one rack space - just doesn't have the pretty front plate and is cheaper.

Edit: just looked closer at the specs. The equivalent model, the elite 15i, has more filtration.

And the bigger issue for me is that it looks like it's max wattage is 1100. I can't tell for sure from the pic but that's what it looks like. Still, looks like a great, lower cost alternative for the right scenario.

Dec 2, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #9,363 of 12,397
And the bigger issue for me is that it looks like it's max wattage is 1100. I can't tell for sure from the pic but that's what it looks like. Still, looks like a great, lower cost alternative for the right scenario.

I don't use it with amps, so didn't even notice that limitation.

Dec 6, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #9,364 of 12,397
Whoa!! Just had a scare here, I passed by my Yggy and it was dark, no lights...just went through a shut it down and reboot it procedure(unplug everything and reboot), seems to still be working, but...why did it shut down in the first place? will need to keep an eye on it... :wink:

Answer - microwaves off the moon. In other words, schitt happens. 3 times in the past few months my Yggy has frozen up, that is, I can switch from input to input (the light moves from input to input) but the dac does not connect to any of my sources. I unplug the Yggy for a couple of minutes and plug it back in and voila, after warm up it is back to operating normally.
The power down/power up seems to reset everything. It does give you a bit of a scare though, like is this the time it won't reset??

I actually use Yggy with many digital sources and have had no trouble except for the dam USB.
The only input I haven't used yet is AES3.

The USB input or maybe my USB sources are gltichy. This can throw Yggy into a switching fit trying to lock only a reboot will fix this. And then sometimes the audio just goes to s***. I have also had it freeze up and not switch inputs.
It is a touchy piece of hardware.

Anyway I don't really like USB, this just makes it worse. I do believe I'd be okay if I was using a dedicated audio computer here.
Probably has something to do with multiple audio sources to the driver.
However even if I kill everything on a Ultrabook and running only a streaming service I still have some issues with the freaking USB.
Since to me it is an inferior audio interface this is not such a big deal.

I do leave Yggdrasil on all the time and reboot it at least once a week, just simply by switching it off and then back on. Not once have I ever disconnected anything and any issue I've ever had is solved with a simple flick of the switch.

Loving my Yggy DAC everyday.

Dec 6, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #9,365 of 12,397
I actually use Yggy with many digital sources and have had no trouble except for the dam USB.

The USB input or maybe my USB sources are gltichy. This can throw Yggy into a switching fit trying to lock only a reboot will fix this. And then sometimes the audio just goes to s***. I have also had it freeze up and not switch inputs.

Anyway I don't really like USB, this just makes it worse. I do believe I'd be okay if I was using a dedicated audio computer here.
However even if I kill everything on a Ultrabook and running only a streaming service I still have some issues with the freaking USB.

I do leave Yggdrasil on all the time and reboot it at least once a week, just simply by switching it off and then back on. Not once have I ever disconnected anything and any issue I've ever had is solved with a simple flick of the switch.

It's probably something happening on the source. I've had my Yggdrasil connected via USB to a PC (Intel NUC) for over a year, and other than a few shutdowns for vacations, no issues, lockups, or reboots required.

I probably shouldn't have posted that - it will probably happen to me today...

Dec 6, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #9,366 of 12,397
It's probably something happening on the source. I've had my Yggdrasil connected via USB to a PC (Intel NUC) for over a year, and other than a few shutdowns for vacations, no issues, lockups, or reboots required.

I can hear the LCD-3 rings stress cracking......

Dec 6, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #9,367 of 12,397

I'm sure my issue is not Schiit related.

Dec 6, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #9,368 of 12,397

Wow - now I'm really finding some wood to knock on.

Been there, done that. It seems like the LCD3s 2016 and forward are less problematic. Far fewer reports of driver failure and cracked rings. I sure hope so, as my current set has gone the longest of any of them without a visit back to Audeze and I'd like to keep it that way.

Dec 6, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #9,369 of 12,397

Interesting.
Yesterday I was having input changing problems.
For me it was switching between these sources:
- USB: MS Surface Book via dock & USB
- Coax - Oppo DVD player

Dec 7, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #9,370 of 12,397
Interesting.
Yesterday I was having input changing problems.
For me it was switching between these sources:
- USB: MS Surface Book via dock & USB
- Coax - Oppo DVD player

Near as I can tell it only happens when USB is connected, SPDIF is flawless switching between coax, optical, and BNC.
Different machines too.

I soon will have a quality AES3 feed out of a PC to try.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #9,371 of 12,397
Analogue 2 ordered OCt. 26th. 4th in the queue of 4. Got the email to ship 11/16, FedEx'd Sat. 11/17. Thanksgiving week so I sent it to arrive a week the following Monday. Saved $50 on the shipping as I figured if it arrived Wed. 11/21, could be waiting until Monday to be worked on(rationalization?).

Email today at 11:15 it's ready to ship. 11:20 am, Oops, my CC on file was compromised months ago. Needed to update. Updated at 1:15 pm. AT 1:41pm got email the Yggy was shipped back.

Pardon me for saying so, but I think that experience constitutes the best in customer service. Congrats to all at Schiit.

Looking forward to burn in starting next Wednesday.

Dec 7, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #9,372 of 12,397
I thought early upgraders would face some issues, seems solved now.:)

Dec 8, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #9,373 of 12,397

Wow - now I'm really finding some wood to knock on.

Been there, done that. It seems like the LCD3s 2016 and forward are less problematic. Far fewer reports of driver failure and cracked rings. I sure hope so, as my current set has gone the longest of any of them without a visit back to Audeze and I'd like to keep it that way.

I really shouldn’t make posts like these...

Listening tonight, take off the headphones to get a drink. Come back five minutes later, put the LCD3s on and nothing out of the left driver. Immediate thought - I can’t believe I had a driver failure. Did some basic testing by switching from a balanced cable to a single ended and no change, still no audio from the left side. Tried another amp and still have the problem. Switch the connectors on the headphones and... now nothing from the right driver, but the left is working. Same results with another pair of headphones.

Same results out of another amp, so reboot the Yggdrasil and the left channel is back. Thankfully!

I will not be tempting fate with posts like mine above any time soon. Just glad I’m not sending headphones or electronics out for repair. And instead of the water I got up for, it’s time for whiskey.

Dec 8, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #9,374 of 12,397
I really shouldn’t make posts like these...

Listening tonight, take off the headphones to get a drink. Come back five minutes later, put the LCD3s on and nothing out of the left driver. Immediate thought - I can’t believe I had a driver failure. Did some basic testing by switching from a balanced cable to a single ended and no change, still no audio from the left side. Tried another amp and still have the problem. Switch the connectors on the headphones and... now nothing from the right driver, but the left is working. Same results with another pair of headphones.

Same results out of another amp, so reboot the Yggdrasil and the left channel is back. Thankfully!

I will not be tempting fate with posts like mine above any time soon. Just glad I’m not sending headphones or electronics out for repair. And instead of the water I got up for, it’s time for whiskey.

I have an hdmi audio extractor that I reboot once a month for similar reasons.

Dec 10, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #9,375 of 12,397
I wanted to post a quick follow-up on my Yggdrasil. Schiit sent a replacement Yggdrasil and, lo and behold, it worked out of the box. I didn't even have to fight with drivers. I had to flag FedEx down (again) and pulled a sleepless day to sign for it, but I'm thrilled to have a Yggy now! I had a "quick" listen when it came in today, and I can definitely see what the hype is about. It'll be fun to hear how the Yggy sound changes as it warms up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back