Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jul 21, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #8,926 of 12,283
Oh I understand alright, just venting!!
I've been thinking about sending at least one of my Yggy's in for the upgrade to A2 but it doesn't sound like it's being done in an expedient fashion lol.

Jul 21, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #8,927 of 12,283
I've been thinking about sending at least one of my Yggy's in for the upgrade to A2 but it doesn't sound like it's being done in an expedient fashion lol.

The queue is not moving in a timely manner. It took 3 months from the time I placed my upgrade order to when I received my RMA email. I shipped it next day air on May 8th. They sent me an email they had received it on May 11th. Finally on May 29th (right after Memorial Day) they shipped it back to me. So discounting Memorial Day, it took Schiit about 2 weeks to do the upgrade once they acknowledged receiving my Yggy. So even though it was frustrating watching the queue move slowly, I can't complain about the time it took to do the actual upgrade, since it includes test/burn in.

I am very happy I did the upgrade. A2 is more analog than A1 without losing detail, which is quite a feat. Cymbals sound more real. USB Gen 5 has simplified my connection by replacing an Eitr and Neutrik Transformer (AES). Can't tell the difference between the two methods.

So if you have 2 Yggys (you lucky dog), get in the queue.

Jul 21, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #8,928 of 12,283
The queue is not moving in a timely manner. It took 3 months from the time I placed my upgrade order to when I received my RMA email. I shipped it next day air on May 8th. They sent me an email they had received it on May 11th. Finally on May 29th (right after Memorial Day) they shipped it back to me. So discounting Memorial Day, it took Schiit about 2 weeks to do the upgrade once they acknowledged receiving my Yggy. So even though it was frustrating watching the queue move slowly, I can't complain about the time it took to do the actual upgrade, since it includes test/burn in.

I am very happy I did the upgrade. A2 is more analog than A1 without losing detail, which is quite a feat. Cymbals sound more real. USB Gen 5 has simplified my connection by replacing an Eitr and Neutrik Transformer (AES). Can't tell the difference between the two methods.

So if you have 2 Yggys (you lucky dog), get in the queue.
Thanks for the informative post! Yeah, I have two of them, one out here at the office and one at the home office/hangout spot. I'm thinking of getting the Gen 5 done at the same time, and going back to USB, freeing up the space in the computers that the lynx soundcards (For AES) are taking up. I'll probably get in the queue this fall.

Jul 21, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #8,929 of 12,283
Well there is this -- you don't send it in, just get on list:
http://www.schiit.com/products/yggdrasil-analog-2
"Schiit Scheduling System Reduces Upgrade Time
We've provided a convenient scheduling system that allows you to keep your Yggdrasil until we’re ready to upgrade it immediately. Just place your order, and follow the steps in the series of emails. You’ll be notified when your order is accepted, when to send in your DAC, when the work is performed, and when it’s shipped back to you, for complete transparency."

Jul 21, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #8,930 of 12,283
Well there is this -- you don't send it in, just get on list:
http://www.schiit.com/products/yggdrasil-analog-2
"Schiit Scheduling System Reduces Upgrade Time
We've provided a convenient scheduling system that allows you to keep your Yggdrasil until we’re ready to upgrade it immediately. Just place your order, and follow the steps in the series of emails. You’ll be notified when your order is accepted, when to send in your DAC, when the work is performed, and when it’s shipped back to you, for complete transparency."
Right. I know all of that. I just didn’t word it correctly. Should have written, pay the cashola, then get in the queue and wait. And wait. And wait. Lol

Jul 21, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #8,931 of 12,283
Right. I know all of that. I just didn’t word it correctly. Should have written, pay the cashola, then get in the queue and wait. And wait. And wait. Lol
They don't charge your card until they are ready for your unit.

Jul 21, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #8,932 of 12,283
They don't charge your card until they are ready for your unit.
Knew that too. It’s all good. I’m looking forward to A2! Tonight however we are listening to music on A1 and it sounds great! As always!

Jul 22, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #8,933 of 12,283
Don’t just start out completely random and then try to guess multiple randomly chosen devices.

Play A and then B and then the 3rd event is a random A or B. See if you can identify the random 3rd event repeatably. Repeat this say 10 times and see how many times you get the random 3rd event right.

I saw this method used on Computer Audiophile and makes sense to me. It gives your brain a recent frame of reference and is still is very scientific. Of course a precise volume match would be required.
Unfortunately, volume matching is not an option here. If the DX7s were louder, I could use it in its preamp mode. Alternatively, I'd want to use two identical balanced volume controls for both DACs and attenuate both somewhat, for fairness, but I don't have something like that lying around (nor two additional pairs of identical XLR cables). The best I could do would be to get a second Schiit SYS and use the single ended inputs, but that would only be interesting in addition to testing them balanced, not instead.

I'll see whether I can bug my friend to repeat this a few times, obviously me identifying the DACs correctly just once isn't conclusive at all.

Jul 22, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #8,934 of 12,283
Okay, so this post is anti-Amir's measurements and should (hopefully) demonstrate I am a Phriend of the Yggdrasil.

Amir indicates "My company is a dealer for Oppo" https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...measurements-of-oppo-udp-205-uhd-player.3660/ and conlcudes - with the sole exception of the headphone output, that - "There is no getting around it: the Oppo UDP-205 nails the measurements and almost across the board beats its competitors. It delivered the best measured performance of any DAC I have tested to date! Of course it earns my strong recommendation."

I have concluded (and documented https://forum.audiogon.com/discussi...s/post?highlight=tinny&postid=1497674#1497674), after a long and arguous process - which included blind testing among other do diligence - that compared to the Oppo UDP205, the Yggy is more authentic sounding, offers dimensionality (compared to oppo 205 being flat), doesn't suffer from "digititis" (in compariosn to the oppo), has correct sounding treble (compared to oppo which is "tinny"), has richer and fuller bass (more articulated that the Oppo UPD205), and has an overall better "presentation" of the music being played.

Therefore, even if I were to assume his measurements are correct - and it has been shown/demonstrated on this site that his measurments have been found to be flawed, for one reason or another - measurements are less significant than perceived sound quality (which again, in my case can be discerned blind). And, if his measurments are correct, then it certainly raises a question as to the significance of what is being measured.

:ok_hand:

Jul 24, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #8,935 of 12,283
I've been reading about Yggdrasil warm-up time for three years now, but I got the chance to make the comparison myself for the first time today. I haven't turned mine off since I bought it a couple of years ago, not once, but I did last night. It was a final troubleshooting step in tracking down a channel imbalance issue I have been having for a long time now (which, sadly, I'm now 100% certain my Yggy is the source of, but that's not the purpose of this post).

I powered it back up this moring before going to work, and took a quick listen this evening to see if it sounded any different. Boy does it, and it is not subtle at all. All of the dimensionality of the music is gone, the sound is positively stuck to the speakers. The treble also has no sense of air or separation anymore. I could go on, but needless to say it sounds way worse than what I have enjoyed so much the past couple of years. I realize using terms like "way worse" and other extreme min-max terminology usually draws criticism and rightly so. But, I'm just calling it like my ears hear it. The differences are, no exaggeration intended, huge by my perception.

Anybody who stands up and argues that this device doesn't change its character as it warms up is just flat out being a troll in my opinion because the sound is blatantly different after its allowed to get cold again.

I can't wait for it to return to normal now, because it's not enjoyable at all the way it is at the moment.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #8,936 of 12,283
I should receive it tomorrow. I'm gonna make sure everything still works right and will do a blind A/B starting Monday by turning Yggy & DX7s on at the same time after having been off during the weekend. The DX7s will be fed via USB, the Yggy from the DX7s's coax out. The most practical solution. Actually, I can feed both DACs from the DX7s's coax out with a splitter and identical coax cables, the USB to Coax converter in the DX7s is completely independent from the rest of the device.
A friend will hook them both up to the Gustard H20 with identical XLR cables, and cover things up so I don't know which one is connected to which input.
Since the DX7s fades in its output after regaining a signal, and since the Yggy is a hair louder, I have to be careful. I won't simply switch back and forth, rather I'll pause the music, turn down the volume, switch, hit play, wait a few seconds, increase the volume and start the song again. Playing music while increasing the volume is necessary to set it, while also masking the H20's relay clicks to some extent.
I'll do that until I feel like I can identify the DACs again. Should be easy at some point based on the sound stage depth, but warmup is an unknown factor for both DACs. Since getting the H20, my Yggy has never been turned off for more than 30s or so, and I have never left the DX7s on for more than a few days (usually turn it off at night).

Once I'm satisfied with that, it's either off to Schiit, or off to @atomicbob or @jude if they are interested. Once it's back from Schiit there wouldn't be a point in someone else taking another measurement (other than Amir, I suppose) because the doubters will just claim Schiit fixed it the way they fixed Bob's and Jude's, at least if it measures better.

If the time frame fits into my schedule I might be able to make the measurements. However, I have an increasingly busy corporate calendar as I transition back into project responsibilities after recovery from cardiac surgery. Further, I can already hear the rationalizing from the doubters that if it measures well, it must obviously be due to the dScope being inferior to an APx555 because it cost less. At least @jude wouldn't get that complaint.

It would be wonderful if @atomicbob were able to measure this specific unit. I fear anything less than remeasuring the exact unit Amir has “measured” will do nothing to end this madness.

Jul 24, 2018 at 4:48 AM Post #8,937 of 12,283
Mine not upgraded yet has been on for 2 years+, off /on with an occasional Brown out very quick.
I reboot it once in awhile turning it off for a minute or so and had heard differences for the better after doing so.
I also agree with the warm-up differences.

I am not concerned with the measurements, it sounds excellent why question it, my view.!

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 5:27 AM Post #8,938 of 12,283
I've been reading about Yggdrasil warm-up time for three years now, but I got the chance to make the comparison myself for the first time today. I haven't turned mine off since I bought it a couple of years ago, not once, but I did last night. It was a final troubleshooting step in tracking down a channel imbalance issue I have been having for a long time now (which, sadly, I'm now 100% certain my Yggy is the source of, but that's not the purpose of this post).

I powered it back up this moring before going to work, and took a quick listen this evening to see if it sounded any different. Boy does it, and it is not subtle at all. All of the dimensionality of the music is gone, the sound is positively stuck to the speakers. The treble also has no sense of air or separation anymore. I could go on, but needless to say it sounds way worse than what I have enjoyed so much the past couple of years. I realize using terms like "way worse" and other extreme min-max terminology usually draws criticism and rightly so. But, I'm just calling it like my ears hear it. The differences are, no exaggeration intended, huge by my perception.

Anybody who stands up and argues that this device doesn't change its character as it warms up is just flat out being a troll in my opinion because the sound is blatantly different after its allowed to get cold again.

I can't wait for it to return to normal now, because it's not enjoyable at all the way it is at the moment.

I can't agree with the troll issue. In the late 1980's everyone was talking Adcom, but regardless of the source every time I heard Adcom equipment it was as flat as cardboard. Now I can't say that it wasn't because the dealers had them in crappy setups somehow, or that it was because Adcom gear needed to be run for days before sounding good, all I know is that I was always unimpressed by the soundstage when listening to it. My point being that if the Yggdrasil is mated to $hit, as opposed to Schiit, equipment, they simply my be unable to hear a difference and may well believe therefore that we are the ones who are full of it. That's why I invite any doubters to bring their cold V2 Yggdrasil here. Also anyone who wants to hear the differences between V1 and V2 Yggdrasils for that matter.

Jul 24, 2018 at 6:07 AM Post #8,939 of 12,283
My Yggy doesn't need to be warm to sound great in my system. I'm rather satisfied with how grate it sounds cold and after being re-booted on a daily basis. I then take great comfort in knowing that - at least according to others - the sound improves while I'm listening because the unit is warming.

Jul 24, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #8,940 of 12,283
My Yggy doesn't need to be warm to sound great in my system. I'm rather satisfied with how grate it sounds cold and after being re-booted on a daily basis. I then take great comfort in knowing that - at least according to others - the sound improves while I'm listening because the unit is warming.

The point, at least my point, is that due to your associated equipment I doubt that you will ever hear that improvement. I can't say if it's due to the quality of your equipment or due to the fact that you shut it down when done. My amp and preamp are fine after a quick warm up, the Yggdrasil isn't, there are amps and preamps which are not fine without extensive warm ups, at least some old Threshold Forte gear absolutely needs hours, and perhaps even days, to sound their best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back