Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jun 12, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #8,656 of 12,283
Yes, a blind test is difficult. However, this is the best way to be *reliably honest* with oneself.

As to the buttons not registering reliably, this is not my experience. My experience is completely the opposite; that the buttons register correctly and are of quality where electrical engagement is concerned.

A nice-to-have would be the that the LEDs display the bit depth and not just the sample rate. And no, bit depth cannot necessarily be derived from the sample rate in all cases (even if you've studied quantum physics).

+1
I know Schiit doesn't like "cluttered" displays, but I agree I like to see information.
When I switch between sources -- eg moving my laptop between DACs -- Tidal can screw up and go to default mode which can lock on a rate (eg 48K) and not be responsive.
I like to see the DAC getting the signal I think it should.

Mike

Jun 12, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #8,657 of 12,283
I find it interesting how/why so many owners dismiss measurements that are negative/bad, but would happily embrace them if they were positive/good.

I feel these contrarian views are very important to this hobby and they are not baseless. All of my Schiit stuff has gone to Craigslist from my own determination before ever seeing the disputed measurements.

This is an important discussion and I would like to see these measurements rationally deconstructed rather than just having negative views banned.

Jun 12, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #8,658 of 12,283
I feel these contrarian views are very important to this hobby and they are not baseless. All of my Schiit stuff has gone to Craigslist from my own determination before ever seeing the disputed measurements.

This is an important discussion and I would like to see these measurements rationally deconstructed rather than just having negative views banned.

+1 (re important discussion and the desire for rationally deconstructed rather than just having negative views banned)

In fairness, I have seen some favorable (contradictory to amirm) measurement data posted by others. Of course I'd still welcome measurement data from Schiit, and I suspect nearly all other owners would too.

On a positive with regard to "impressions", I'm of the opinion that the Yggdrasil does in fact sound terrific, of high quality, authentic, and many other accolades. And, I believe that even if significantly less expensive DACs measure better, in blind testing, the Yggdrasil would still prevail as the preferred DAC.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #8,659 of 12,283
Furthermore, you have post your measurements and challenges to me in a thread that is inappropriate for it given the resentment from the regular readers of it. You should have post that in a new thread that was moderated and allowed for proper exchange of data to get to a consensus that members here and elsewhere could use.
I recall giving this advice to amirm quite a while ago, which he did not heed. How ironic is that.

Jun 13, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #8,660 of 12,283
I recall giving this advice to amirm quite a while ago, which he did not heed. How ironic is that.

Irony is often lost on the ignorant.

Jun 13, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #8,661 of 12,283
After DAYS away from this thread, I take a look and the same food fight is going on. Sheesh!

Jun 13, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #8,664 of 12,283
I'm still waiting for Amirm to explain what negative measurements he has provided us with are audible.
I'm all ears!

Didn’t Amirm get banned from this thread?

Jun 14, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #8,668 of 12,283
Just ordered another yggy. Time to do a friendly head to head with the other wonderful dac in my possession.

*edited due to stupid autocorrect *

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back